Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia finally admit defeat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

didn't need nokia to tell me that.

i know 1 person with an n-gage (not the qd, it doesn't support mp3's or something) and he only owns fifa 2004/5 or whatever...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

I think its a shame it would have been nice if they had built in support to every new nokia phone they might have sold allot more games if they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,121 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The idea was good, the final product was not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Yeah it was a good idea and since it's come out, mobile gaming has become much more widespread. If you think back, they were doing more "proper" games instead of say Snake or something. These days, you can get Splinter Cell or Prince of Persia, and quite a broad range of good games on most phones.

The design of the thing I think was the killer as they should have left it in phone style.

It's not a business "success" but they sold something like 2.5 million or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

The ridiculous shape, the portrait screen, the size, the fact you had to remove the battery to change games etc etc were sledgehammers on teh camals back. If the QD (or what ever it was called) was the original, and it still had proper multimedia options it might have worked. But we did a usability study of the original in college and everyone we interviewed using it simply hated it.

There were some fundamentally ridiculously obvious flaws with the design of the system that just meant it was doomed before it was released. It is amazing that Nokia, at the forefront of cutting edge phone/fashion design could get something so fundamental wrong.

It is an example of what happens when people who know very little about games try to enter the market.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Wicknight wrote:
    The ridiculous shape, the portrait screen, the size, the fact you had to remove the battery to change games etc etc were sledgehammers on teh camals back. If the QD (or what ever it was called) was the original, and it still had proper multimedia options it might have worked. But we did a usability study of the original in college and everyone we interviewed using it simply hated it.

There were some fundamentally ridiculously obvious flaws with the design of the system that just meant it was doomed before it was released. It is amazing that Nokia, at the forefront of cutting edge phone/fashion design could get something so fundamental wrong.

It is an example of what happens when people who know very little about games try to enter the market.

Well that's just it.
    The idea was to merge mobile gaming and mobile telephony, but in reality it was an extremely ugly and bulky phone that was a chore to play games on. The fact that you had to hold it on its side to use the phone was very odd, the shape was pretty rough and the whole battery thing was a joke. It looked like the QD was a good move until they dropped all the support for mp3s or radio or whatever it was.
    A mate of mine who had it also pointed out that this kind of merge isn't really as suitable as it may seem. As he said, if you're listening to music, you may not want it to stop just because a call or text has come through. I'd much prefer to have my ipod in one pocket, phone in another (and DS in my bag for long journeys!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

there was one game on it thats meant to be great though.

pocket kingdom or something?

spiritual successor to the dragon force games on the saturn.

sort of a mobile mmo game. Maybe it will be brought to the DS or PSP?

Advertisement