Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

caught in the airport with weed....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

The fact that they fined you makes me think this is the end of it.

Still, what the **** were you thinking. Just post it back to yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

tbh i wasnt really thinking at all. ive never had a problem bringing it back before but after 6 days of non stop smoking and the rest i just threw it in + didnt think bout it

usually id be more careful flying direct from amsterdam but slipped up.

most times i come back i go through brussels so its less risk.

wont be doing it again tho, getting caught once is enough for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Just an observation: There are some very judgemental people on this thread, step back and think for a bit before you go throwing rando insults and destrictive comments at the OP.

That said: It's better to post it to yourself, I know a girl who did and when she came back from the 'dam her hash was waiting for her at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

You should have stuck it up your arse.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

customs took the weed off me and made me pay a 50euro fine to get my bag back, they took my passport number and stuff
    If ye were smoking a cigarette it would be €3,000 !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Binomate wrote:
    You should have stuck it up your arse.
    what the weed? :confused:

chrismon wrote:
    what the weed? :confused:
    No, his thumb......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Binomate wrote:
    No, his thumb......
    i was takin the piss :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

Happened to a mate of mine about 2 years ago. He had about €75 worth and they told him that was it they wouldnt do anything apart from log it against his passport.
    He thought it was great getting away with it until he tried to get on a flight to New York in July.
    Guess what happened. US immigration brought it up straight away and turned him back and then told him that he would never get into the states again, so not to bother even trying.

• Advertisement

Meh. Just go to Mexico or Canada and sneak across the border. It'll be more fun that way. My mate is banned from America because of some visa issues, he snuck down from Canada and had the greatest time of his life. He recomends getting banned from America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

JimmySmith wrote:
    Happened to a mate of mine about 2 years ago. He had about €75 worth and they told him that was it they wouldnt do anything apart from log it against his passport.
    He thought it was great getting away with it until he tried to get on a flight to New York in July.
    Guess what happened. US immigration brought it up straight away and turned him back and then told him that he would never get into the states again, so not to bother even trying.

Yup, was just about to chime in with that little snippet. I love a good smoke, but risking my passport being tagged for narcotics smuggling (how Homeland Security see it) by taking back a bit of personal back from holland never appealed to me. Throwing away my chances of getting back into the US is far more off putting than any customs fine or an appearance in the district court and your name in the paper...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,951 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Hey they'll stop you if you're unfortunate enough to have the same name as someone on their watchlists, which include a lot of republicans (as in Irish republican, not as in "not Democrat").
    Getting caught with weed in the airport is technically drug smuggling; the bonehead at Shannon immigration doesn't care if it was enough for a few numbers or a ki of coke...."Just doing my job buddy"

f_uck it.... the states is overated anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Beer is Life

Hard luck bud

• Advertisement

Like other's have said, getting in over the border is better craic...just don't try it from the wetback end :D and for christ's sake wait till you actually get IN to score some bud :v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

This post has been deleted.

I can well believe it. Controled substance and the guy tried to smuggle it through some of the tightest security he deals with in the normal course of his life. Magically stupid thing to do I am actually surprised he hasn't gone to higher plane of existance.
    Be gratefull he was not charged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

What is so great about the "States"? There is another chunk of the planet worth seeing. Do we really need to be going there?

Capital of Paranoia, racism, stupidity, genocide, KKK etc.

Been there a few times and felt the experience very plastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭soph

joejoem wrote:
    In that case you can just say you forgot you had it, you were so muddled and all over the place coming home.

ya thats exactly what i would do, i bought a bit back before too, put it in a bag an covered it with toothpaste,, it worked.. ! not sure if its worth the hassle though because i was ****ting myself the whole journey incase there would b sniffers!

You'll probably want to scratch Austrailia and New Zealand off your travel list too, they have the same policy.

And lots of other countries also. Hope you like the EU!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

Heinrich wrote:
    What is so great about the "States"?
    until this year i'd have said the weather, until this year.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭fischerspooner

I took an ounce of weed home from canada once, I just put it in the shirt pocket of a shirt that was still in it's plastic packet and sailed through customs. I thought I might get caught but you only get a fine at most for such a little amount of dope. I don't know why you're all calling him stupid etc., he likes dope so he took some home, big deal. You can't get decent grass in ireland very often. And to hell with going to the states, i'm already not allowed go there because a company I worked for tried to send me once for training without a visa. They're like the bloody USSR nowadays. Canada is far nicer and cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

I think a few people are mixed up here. The US is not the only country that won't allow him in now. I would say Canada is on that list for example.

Certain jobs will also do a back ground check on him which may turn this up.

We are also not talking about a few grams €100 worth is more than that by a long shot.

Smoke all you like but to cross borders with controlled drugs is not big or clever and if caught there is more than just a fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Smoke all you like but to cross borders with controlled drugs is not big or clever

Don't see how smoking it in the first place is big or clever either, think ill stick to my beer thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Didn't Canada decriminalise weed not long ago...? :confused: Or did I misread that (@MorningStar)
    Don't see how smoking it in the first place is big or clever either, think ill stick to my beer thanks.

Who said it's big or clever? It's just something he does... is drinking beer big or clever?

DaveMcG wrote:
    Didn't Canada decriminalise weed not long ago...? :confused: Or did I misread that (@MorningStar)

Who said it's big or clever? It's just something he does... is drinking beer big or clever?

No, but then again drinking beer is not illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

No, but then again drinking beer is not illegal.
    What's the significance of that...? If it were illegal would it be big and clever? :confused: Is beer safer than weed?

What I am trying to say is that breaking the law is not big and clever, not once did I say drinking beer was big and clever nor was it safer than drugs.

i have about 10grms with me. its not alot but i wanted some white widow for christmas day....

its not about not being able to get good weed here as i can get it whenever i want. its just not as good as the weed from amsterdam.

and to be honest i never asked anybody their personal opinions of me... ie calling me an idiot etc etc, no need for that

all i wanted was input on whether any1 had been in the same situation

mods please lock this thread... thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Dermington

A guy i know posted a fairly large quantity to himself from america last year and got it no problem. There are success stories...

your a true idiot to take it through customs though.

• Advertisement

like i said not interested in being called an idiot

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭fade

this bloody thread has become ridiculous.

to al ou "hes an idiot for bringing it through customs". pure rubbish, it was a calculated risk. simple as that. you will get in more trouble speeding than you will bringing back less than 10 grms of weed, and which the more dangerous? huh?

this thread is about experiences, so if you dont bloody have one, dont post.

as for me, ive done it a few times, but anytime i brought back weed i wouldnt fly from holland, nor would i have more than 10 grams. in general you will be fine, your only prob is dogs, but if you wrap it up enough you should be fine (no promises)

at the end of the day, the people who are working for customs have far more things to be worried about than just a small amount.

and as for the states/australia etc pff, im not worried, the states is ****e, canada is better and id rather go to NZ than oz, but hey thats me.

oh yea, rick, next time, shampoo and alot of cling film, works a treat. x-rays wont pick up the drugs and dogs wont either if you are carefull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

vasaline + condom = winner

ronoc wrote:
    You'll probably want to scratch Austrailia and New Zealand off your travel list too, they have the same policy.

I'm going to quote my post again, I don't think he saw it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ronoc

I'm going to quote my post again, I don't think he saw it.

i saw it alrite, i just chose to ignore it......

i cant see getting into australia being a major problem considering i have mates over there at the moment on working visas one of whom is a convicted drug dealer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

SpAcEd OuT wrote:
    every flight that comes from Amsterdam has its passengers luggage checked throughly I mean use your head Customs are constantly catching people bringing back weed from Amsterdam they can be almost certain they will catch one idiot who thinks that he/she can get a few grams of weed back no problem so they have all bags screened,smelt by sniffer dogs and occasionally hand checked.

Complete BS. They check the odd flight but to be honest the don't care about the little man bringing a small bit home for himself. They use profiling to catch the bigger smugglers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

SpAcEd OuT wrote:
    every flight that comes from Amsterdam has its passengers luggage checked throughly I mean use your head Customs are constantly catching people bringing back weed from Amsterdam they can be almost certain they will catch one idiot who thinks that he/she can get a few grams of weed back no problem so they have all bags screened,smelt by sniffer dogs and occasionally hand checked.

Complete and utter load of bollocks.
    Do you know how many people coming back from amsterdams clothes will smell of weed?? What a complete waste of time those dogs would be...
    lomb wrote:
    correct, that looks bad in a court, judge could throw the book at u and claim u were a dealer.

For a few grams? :rolleyes:
    madrab wrote:
    i think there is a slight difference between shopping and drugs, but i might be mistaken

Youre right - you are mistaken. Smuggling goods into the country without paying VAT isnt called shopping, its called tax evasion. I think you'll find the authorities take it quite seriously.
    lomb wrote:
    drugs are illegal and cause hugh problems in society, ipods and wrangler jeans dont.

Again - a few grams of weed?? Double :rolleyes:

And finally to the OP - Nothing will come of this, and even if it did the worst you'd be looking at would be another €50 or €100 fine (ie: Probation Act)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

FX Meister wrote:
    Complete BS. They check the odd flight but to be honest the don't care about the little man bringing a small bit home for himself. They use profiling to catch the bigger smugglers.

my mate used to work part time at the airport and told me that every flight coming directly from Amsterdam was throughly checked,so dont call bull**** again unless you have an actual source that proves otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

i know of sites that do mail order :v:

• Advertisement

do tell....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

JimmySmith wrote:

I don't follow that, how did US immigration know he'd brought it in? Was he charged with anything initially or was it just the security guys at Dublin airport? And what do ye mean by logged against his passport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭feckidyparp

Ah ricky rick rick rick. Bummer that you got caught. I wouldn't recommend hiding whacky in shampoo or anything else smelly cos sniffer dogs will find it. make no mistake. those dogs can find a single tooth hidden in a box of household detergent (thank you discovery channel) so they'll sure as s**t find stanky smoke. I dont think you have anything to worry about. I have heard stories from that airport way worse than that. For example (this came from security) a man was caught with coke stuffed inside a pen. the result? nothing. it was for his personal use and he was allowed to fly. Now dont bother bombarding me with " well i heard this happened" cos i know for a fact my story is true. the bottom line is, your grand. remember your holiday fondly and forget the bit that got away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

0utshined wrote:
    I don't follow that, how did US immigration know he'd brought it in? Was he charged with anything initially or was it just the security guys at Dublin airport? And what do ye mean by logged against his passport?

It happened to him more or less the same way that the OP stated. US immigration stopped him because he came up in their security check i guess, because it was logged when he was caught with the weed.

The US can stop you for anything. A friend of mine was stopped travelling recently because she had a sore on her cheek from an operation to remove a mole.

They told her to wait a week and then they let her travel. I have no idea what the story was there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭soph

SpAcEd OuT wrote:
    my mate used to work part time at the airport and told me that every flight coming directly from Amsterdam was throughly checked,so dont call bull**** again unless you have an actual source that proves otherwise.

that is BS, because i got thru no bother as did loads of my mates !

maybe you were lucky thats basically like saying its bull**** that getting shot in the head can kill you because you know of someone that got shot in the head and didnt die.

I suppose you know someone that works baggage that told you this directly right or are u just assuming its bull**** because you got away with it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

Idiot

SpAcEd OuT wrote:

My birds unkle is one of the top dudes in the Airport Police, I've talked to him about it in the past. I think my source might know a little bit more than your mate who used to work their part time collecting trolleys. I've brought a fairly large amount with me from Amsterdam on three occasions and had no trouble at all. Get your facts straight before you shoot your mouth off kid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I took about 8 grammes back from holland a few years ago.. we stuck it in a dirty sock and just left it in the bag.

When the bags came onto the luggage belt, they had been opened and we got paranoid but we just grabbed them and ran. Sure enough, 8 grammes of white widow were still doing battle with my socks to see which odour was the strongest.

FX Meister wrote:
    My birds unkle is one of the top dudes in the Airport Police, I've talked to him about it in the past. I think my source might know a little bit more than your mate who used to work their part time collecting trolleys. I've brought a fairly large amount with me from Amsterdam on three occasions and had no trouble at all. Get your facts straight before you shoot your mouth off kid.

firstly im not a kid,secondly im going on what my source told me who wasnt working trolleys dont make such blind assumptions,thirdly I doubt one of the ''top dudes'' of airport police would tell you that its fine to bring weed back with you.

I was being patronizing kid. You are not reading what I'm saying. We discussed their policy and tactics for catching people smuggling drugs. I didn't tell him I had brought any in to the country and it was long before I spoke to him that I did so. You make blind statements without any facts to back them up.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement