Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying new in Europe

Options
  • 28-11-2005 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of buying a new car in Continental Europe. This will save me E10,000 if I buy in Germany for example. I remember from a while ago in the UK press, that that under EU law, if a customer orders a right hand car, the dealer must comply. Has anybody here bought a new rhd car in Europe or know anybody who has.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You will save money buying over there but generally when you bring it back here and cough up for the VRT you will end up financially worse off.
    How are you managing to save €10k?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

kbannon wrote:
    How are you managing to save €10k?

Reckon he's obviously forgotton about VRT. If it was that easy we'd all be doing it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

The car is E50,000 in Germany, E76,000 in Ireland. VRT is 30% so the car is now E65,000. Has anybody here bought a new rhd car in Europe or know anybody who has.

The car is E50,000 in Germany, E76,000 in Ireland. VRT is 30% so the car is now E65,000. Has anybody here bought a new rhd car in Europe or know anybody who has.
    Are you sure? VRT is based on the Irish OMSP if the car and I would be very surprised if it turned out cheaper than buying it here.. Check the VRT here (https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showVRT).
    I don't think many here will have bought abroad as it tends to be financially unviable.

A quick check on a BMW 535d Nov 2005 with 100km which retails according to the revenue at €74299 requires VRT of €22289 (30% of OMSP).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

but the VRT is 30% of the cars OMSP in Ireland, not what you paid for it unfortunately.

• Advertisement

If you are intent of buying new outside Ireland then you would do well to chat to people in the UK who do this more often than on this island.
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=grey+imports+advice&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Just realised I wasn't calculating the VRT on the irish market price. That makes it much less worthwhile. They get you every way.

"Nothing in life is certain except death and taxes" - Ben Franklin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

It is possible to make decent savings on some models, but generally I dont think it works out.

A friend of mine has just bought a Chrysler Voyager 2.8 LX CRD brand new in the UK. The list price for the model was €55k over here & he bought it for £18,995 in the UK (got a good discount as a cash buyer as its normally £23k), anyway, £19k works to roughly €27,700 + the 30% of €55k (€16,500) took the total to €44,200 - thats a saving of €11k on the Irish price

He bought it straight out in the UK and paid the UK tax on it, he could have bought for export, but couldn't get the discount on the basic price in the UK for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

For purposes of calculating "Irish List Price", how comprehensive is the list when it comes to optional extras and the like? Insurance companies are always criticised for ignoring these in their payouts. Do they use a different list for their price or is there a VRT saving to be made on loaded models?

Dermot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

You'll be caught for the 21% VAT as well don't forget - and that's calculated on top of price + VRT - if the car is new <6 months or <6000 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

thelurcher wrote:
    You'll be caught for the 21% VAT as well don't forget - and that's calculated on top of price + VRT - if the car is new <6 months or <6000 miles.

Depends if you've bought for export as far as I know....as per my post above, because he bought 'on the road' in the UK it included UK duty & VAT,therefore he only paid for the 30%VRT import charge...I double checked this with him this morning & he definitely wasn't charged Irish VAT on it.

Advertisement