Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can’t speak English dilemma

• 28-11-2005 2:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'll breeze through the former part of the story. Boy (me) goes on Internet a year and a half ago, meets girl in Spain, hits it off, goes over and spends a week with her, and she comes over and spends a two weeks with him. Both besotted with each other and want to make a go of it.

Given that I have a good job here, the job market is much better and she has a pretty ****ty job that she hates, we decided that her moving to Ireland would make more sense.

All good so far? Now the fly in the ointment - she doesn't speak English. Well, she does, but in the same way that many here would speak French or German (did it in school, could probably catch the gist of the conversation, piece together a rudimentary response or two, etc.). Now I've no problem, given she's the one making the huge jump into the unknown, bankrolling her to begin with - but understandably not indefinitely (not only for financial reasons, but also because it would most likely mean that she’s failed to integrate and would thus end up miserable).

One idea was to put her on an intensive English course for a week or two and help her get some basic job to begin with such as in a bar or restaurant, once she's up to that level of English (though in fairness to her English, should not take too long). Of course this would mean me working days and her working nights and almost never seeing each other, which would also present a problem in any relationship.

I've no problem putting my hand in my pocket and being as supportive as I can for her, but I'd like some advice on how best to go about this, especially from anyone who may have been in a similar situation to me (or her) in the past.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

Friend of mine is living with a girl from poland, who hadnt a word of english. She said textin and email was the best thing ever, she learned english really quickly, and only the accent gives her away now!!

English course would be pretty good, or what about her teaching some spanish, it could work both ways?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

for her living here in irl, it makes sence for her to learn english? but in my experience the best way to improve a language is to live in a country where its the prinipal language, though u having a few words of spanish cant hurt ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

She's moving to a country where they speak English. That is the best way to learn the language. She'd learn better English by walking out of the classroom and having a dinner with some Irish people.

If she has any English then there are plenty of jobs out there. Starting one of those would be by far the best way to improve her English.

If her English is really bad then maybe some classes but if she can do the basics then she'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭*Oul_Doll_Cork*

I go to this little café for my lunch every day near where I work! About a year ago a Spanish girl started working there, at the beginning she hadn't a word of English! She could hardly understand simple orders for sandwiches!!

Now I am always late coming back from my lunch because I get caught chatting to her, she picked up the language so fast and she even has a bit of a cork twang!!! :D

She doesn't have to work at night time! She could easily get a job in a little cafe or a restaraunt, even just part time in the mornings or something! She will pick up the language in no time! :) Everything will work out fine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Of course you'll have to start her on an Irish course too. Imagine that, Spanish and Irish but hardly any English :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Immersion is the best way to go when learning a second language. I was talking to someone who moved here from Mallorca who achieved an excellent level of English in just 10 months, speaking little to none of it beforehand. Although, it was probably made easier by being bilingual (Catalan and Spanish) in the first place.

There is a Pimsleur course, English for Spanish Speakers, that would get her up to speed quickly enough. If you'd like more information, feel free to PM me. Suerte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭savoyard

Agree with what the others say about immersion - she'll pick up more English speaking to people than in a classroom. When you have to understand people, and you're surrounded by a language everywhere you go, you'll be amazed how quickly you can pick it up.

In my own experience, a combination of the two can help - I'm sure there are weekly daytime English classes she can do to help her with grammar and writing.

RE Jobs - why not try a few market research firms that might need international telephone interviewers or call centres that do international helpdesks? Or maybe it might be worth her while looking into doing the equivalent of a TEFL for Spanish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

i wouldn't worry so much, she'll pick the language up pretty quickly, she'll be speaking to you all the time and she'll obviously be moving in your social circle so there will be nothing but English surrounding here,

Going to some classes maybe twice a week will help her a lot though, English uses only a few words to get alot of information across but they have to be in the correct place to make sense, think about how often you say have and all the different meaning it has. some classes to act as a guideline and a heap of real world experience means she be yapping like a native in no time. There are thousands of people in Dublin/Ireland in exactly the same situation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

How how have you communicated with her so far if all she has is rudimentary English?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks to all who responded - it's very encouraging, especially for her (naturally she's scared ****less). Vis-a-vi jobs for her, other than trying cafés and bars, are there any companies that people might suggest she could apply to (international phone support, localization, etc). She's very computer literate, btw.

Might there be anything else that people might suggest or advise to make the transition as easy as possible for her?
    MojoMaker wrote:
    How how have you communicated with her so far if all she has is rudimentary English?
    Hablo español, tonto :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

No need to worry, your gf will learn the language in no time! I arrived in Ireland 8 years ago I could not speak a word of English after a month or two I was flying. When you need to feed yourself, go from A to B, ask for bus ticket ... you learn quickly! The main thing is not to be shy about speaking a foreign language. TV, radio, newspaper all that is very good to learn English and of course the pub is great to learn new words -not always the best ones;-) and learning a new language is also learning a new culture, and the Irish culture is a great one.
    F.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There are lots of options for language class day / night / weekend courses.

Google "language school dublin" or somesuch.

Advertisement