Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband

• 28-11-2005 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭

Hi,

From reading reports on this website and others it seems that NTL is probably the best option to go with if it is available in your area.

I am going to get it in and wanted to know what sort of installation they provide. I assume it comes in off the TV line and they then pop it out into a box on the wall. Will they put this box anywhere as I assume most people dont have the socket beside their telly ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

the one cable carries in your tv and broadband. they connect it to a small cable modem and you connect that to your pc via ethernet or usb cables. they'll give you a splitter if you want broadband and tv from the same point. ask them for a one or two just in case. I found the installation lads dead sound and helpful.

Have had NTL in firhouse for 2 years with a total of 1 day downtime, but since I got it installed in my house in Crumlin two months ago I have had two weekends of downtime. Problem is I'm so busy I never have time to call them at the time of the problem. Did once on a Friday evening at 8pm and an engineer called me back and we got it sorted. I still think they're the best broadband available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

They should install a new point if you ask for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I too am getting braodband soon and am wondering are they still the best.or are magnet or metro better? or should i even consider getting eircom because of the upcoming speed upgrades?

also mt pc is beside a cable access point will there just be a wire coming out of it or will htey have to mount another box on the wall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I'd recommend NTL over Eircon speed upgrades and all. Besides I'm sure NTL will follow suit.

Magnet looks interesting though in my experience cable is better than DSL. ADSL2+ may be different though.

Digiweb metro looks good though I, personally, don't trust wireless.

I've had NTL nearly a year and I currently wouldn't consider changing. Get a VOIP account with Blueface and you'll have all you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

Paulm is right about NTL being good but the VOIP option makes it a no brainer.
    Because the broadband doesn't need your phone line, you can port the number to Blueface, make cheaper calls and save the line rental every month.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

How do they measure the amount of downloads you make over the month?

And if you go over your allocation do you get charged at a ridiculous rate?

B.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

BaZmO* wrote:
    How do they measure the amount of downloads you make over the month?

I'm sure the have management software on their routers that does it for them.
    BaZmO* wrote:
    And if you go over your allocation do you get charged at a ridiculous rate?

You won't be charged for going over, there isn't anything in the contract about charging so they can't.

What sems to heppen is if you consistently go way over the cap, they send you a letter asking you to reduce your usage for the benefit of all other users.

I have never heard of it going any further then this, as most people who get the letter, stop taking the mick and reduce their usage. If you continued to ignore there warnings then they would probably just disconnect you from the service.

This is all pretty fair in my opinion, they aren't heavy handed like some other ISP's like UTV or Digiweb and 99% of users probably don't have to worry about it as the cap is relatively high and they rarely go over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Cheers for the reply bk.

I remember a friend had lodger staying in his house last year and she worked in Eircom Broadband sales and she said that they had no way of recording the amount of usage on customers Broadband accounts so therefore it was pointless going for the Premium packs. I'm sure things have changed since then though.

B.

Advertisement