Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Static IP address?

• 28-11-2005 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭

Long story short my dad is doing CCTV cameras and wants to be able to connect to the box through the net, but we'll need a static ip address for each customer.

Can anyone tell me how to go about getting one first of all and are there any providers that don't do them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Most providers will give you one but they charge extra. I think eircom were charging 50 euro dollars for a static IP last time I checked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

There are also companies that will let your dynamic IP address work for such a setup. www.dyndns.com is one such company but there are others.

Cal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Please tell me that's a once-off fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Yes its a once off cost.
    The only thing is if u change providers u loose ur static IP address. Also
    be warned some of the ISP BT do not allow static IP's on the home accounts so u HAVE to go to one of the business tarrifs to get this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

It's a yearly fee for account maintenance. They don't charge you for the IP address itself, as they are not allowed to. But they do charge you a fee each year to "handle" the IP for you.

You could just configure NAT to forward taraffic on a specific port to the CCTV? That's how I have mine setup.

*EDIT* - Looking at the post above, I may be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

You could try Netsource. Their Origin Plus package (which I have) appears to give a static IP...

Honestly, don't know why people don't suggest Netsource more often. The service I've had with them has always been extremely good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭beer enigma

UTV are €5 per month on your bill for a static....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

digiweb do static ip's on their dsl2 - dsl4 packages anyway if that's any use, just signed up for the dsl2 package myself last week, €42 inc. vat p/m.

Advertisement