Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pill Injection?

• 28-11-2005 3:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I'm just wondering if any of you have got the pill injection or what is the story with it? I am going travelling and would really like to get it. I know you can get it for 1, 2 or 3 years. Has anyone got it and can give me any advice on it? Side effects etc. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Whats a pill injection? Surely you can either get a pill, OR, and injection?

I would like to know more about this too. I am not very happy with the pill!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Are you referring to the depo-provera injection? It's a progesterone derivative which you get by injection every 3 months....

Or are you referring to Implanon which is an implant you get inserted into your arm and it lasts for up to 3 years?

The effects of the Depo don't fully wear off until a year or so after your last injection so when you stop getting it, it can take up to a year before you could conceive - effects of the implant is reversed very quickly after it's taken out.

For both you have to get them within 5 days of starting a period and that's all I can think of right now!

I know some people say they find they put on weight with the Depo but i know after each shot my weight dips then goes back to normal so I suppose everyone is different!

You should speak to your doctor though, you can tell them exactly what you want and why and they can suggest something that suits best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

There are other forms of contraception that uses the same horror moans at the pill but do not have the same effects as they are not swallowed and digested. There are some facts about them.

http://www.ifpa.ie/contraception/ic.html
    Guide to Contraception: Injectable Contraceptive

injectable contraceptiveThis page gives you some information about injectable contraception, also known as the jab. Only one type is available in Ireland, it is called Depo-Provera. This contains a similar hormone to that in the progestogenonly pill. It can be used by women who cannot use other methods of hormonal contraception. One injection gives 12 weeks protection.

http://www.ifpa.ie/contraception/patch.html
    Contraceptive Patch It is a thin, beige patch about the size of a matchbox containing two hormones - oestrogen and progestogen.

There is only one type of contraceptive patch available at this time. It is called Evra.

http://www.ifpa.ie/contraception/nuv.html
    Guide to Contraception: Nuvaring This is a flexible, transparent, plastic ring that is inserted by the woman herself into her vagina for three weeks of every month.

How does it work?
    It is the equivalent of a very low dose pill which is absorbed directly into the blood stream through the vaginal wall. There is only one ring available at this time it is called NuvaRing.

Talk to your Dr about them.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I was on the Depo Provera for a year and I had to come off it because my hair started falling out... I didnt go bald or anything but it thinned out considerably... It does list hair loss as a "rare" side effect, it started to thicken again about 6 months after I came off it.. (6 months from the day I was due my next injection that is) That was the only side effect I experienced but it was damn scary... It was most prominent when I was washing my hair, when Id rinse away the excess shampoo big clumps of hair would come out in my hands...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭smurfbaby

I've used the depo provera as well. Didnt experience any particular side effects, no weight gain at all. It's definitely worth reading up on it first though and having a chat with your doctor so you're prepared for any possible side effects etc.
    As far as I know its one of the safest methods of pregnancy prevention-with around 99% success rate. Once you get the injection you are safe for 12 weeks, whereas the pill, while effective needs to be taken correctly for a hihg success rate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

I was on the injection for a while and put on some weight.

Had a friend who had some bad side effects like extra hair growth all over her body and constant spotting.

I can't say that I could recommend it as the more women that I talk to about the injection or hear about the more bad reports I hear.

You're best option is to weigh up all the pros-cons of all you're options and see from there.
    A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭FoXXy

I was on the depo for about a year and from the first injection i had problems with it. i had weight gain, my hair started thinning out a bit too, i was seriously depressed on it too. when i went to my doc about it she said it was stress and told me to stay on it... when i eventually copped onto it and came off it all went back to normal although my periods didnt start up again for 8months so that was a bit scary.
    u need to talk to your doctor and make an informed decision on whats best for you.

FoXXy wrote:
    I was on the depo for about a year and from the first injection i had problems with it. i had weight gain, my hair started thinning out a bit too, i was seriously depressed on it too. when i went to my doc about it she said it was stress and told me to stay on it... when i eventually copped onto it and came off it all went back to normal although my periods didnt start up again for 8months so that was a bit scary.
    u need to talk to your doctor and make an informed decision on whats best for you.

Yeah I had something similar.. only my period never stopped for for 7 months after coming off it... I had to go on tablets that made me gain a lot of weight but I had no choice but to take them or the bleeding wouldnt have stopped... I only had to take them for a week to kick start my cycle back to normal again but it took me a good while to lose the weight gain/bloating that it caused me.. Highly annoying not to mention distressing.. My cycle is fine now thank god but I was worried there was something wrong with me because I did some research on the net and found a forum for women and one lady said her 21 year old daughter had to have a hysterectomy after being on the Depo for a year... Poor girl

So I suppose the hair thinning wasnt the only side effect for me but that only happened after coming off it so it was probably more a withdrawal symptom???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭genegenie

If you're considering "the patch" when looking for pill free contraception keep this in mind...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9997382/

genegenie wrote:
    If you're considering "the patch" when looking for pill free contraception keep this in mind...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9997382/

Yup I tried the patch too... had it on for all of 1 week, my boobs were so sore that I couldnt sleep on my stomach (which I usually do) and I went from a size 8-10 to a 12 in that one week...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭sideFX

RaRa wrote:
    Hi, I'm just wondering if any of you have got the pill injection or what is the story with it? I am going travelling and would really like to get it. I know you can get it for 1, 2 or 3 years. Has anyone got it and can give me any advice on it? Side effects etc. Thanks!

Hows a goin?

My ex got it. It was in her arm. It's like a wee little lump a couple cm long. Is that what ur talking about? anyway, she went sex mad which was good!

My point being it's all very well getting the pill injection to protect you from pregnancy but you should be using condoms too, lets face it would you rather be pregnant or have HIV? Think about it. There's not just HIV, there's hundreds of other STD's you could get and not even know you have and pass on. These things are really meant for people in relationships.

Don't be a silly bunny, use a condom too! Seriously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I have been on it nearly 2 years. Yeh my appetite shot up and i put on weight but that could be due to other things aswell.

I find it great myself but it effects everyone differently

Can you tell me more about the bar??? the little thing thats inserted in the arm?
    I was on mercilon, my weight shot up by 1.5 stone in a year, and you don't feel like having sex when you feel fat a big fat cow.
    Then I went on yasmin, but was very drowsy and tired. I have stopped taking the pill, been off it about a month, and I have dropped about 1/2 stone, and feel way more energetic. However, without contraception I have been afraid to have much sex, and as my friend got pregnant when a condom split, I am not prepared to use condoms alone.

Can anyone suggest something that might suit me?
    What are the side effects of the implant?
    Does it hurt?
    Can you see it?

http://www.ifpa.ie/contraception/implant.html
    Guide to Contraception: The Implant
    An implant is a small flexible tube which is placed just under your skin. It releases a progestogen hormone over three years.

How reliable is it?
    It is an extremely effective method of contraception. During all its initial trials there were no pregnancies reported.

Some prescribed medicines may make an implant less effective so always inform your doctor if you are using an implant if you are being prescribed any medicines.

How it works
    It is a small flexible plastic rod inserted just under the skin (but not seen) of the inner part of the upper arm. After insertion it can be felt under the skin. It slowly releases the hormone progestogen into the body which stops ovulation. It also thickens the mucus at the neck of the womb making it difficult for sperm to enter. An implant works for three years.

Then a doctor will remove it after giving you a local anaesthetic injection. If you want to carry on using an implant, the doctor can put a new one in at the same time.

There is only one implant available in Ireland at this time. It is called IMPLANON.

Ladies arm yourslef with all the imformation you can and then go to your Dr and pester them with questions.

Hey, someone posted ealier saying it can take a long time for the effects to wear off. I have zero intention of having children any time soon, but if I where to move to the implant, could it reduce my chances of concieving when I come of it??

Why don't they suggest this option to you in the first place?

When I spoke with my doctor she only mentioned the pill as a possible contraceptive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

I'm assuming the implant leaves a scar on your arm??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Try the vets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Shinners21

I had the implant for 2 years and I had no problems with it at all, like some of you I just couldnt find a pill that suited me, I had mood swing's, irregular periods etc... I went to my doc who gave me loads of different contraceptive method's and I chose Implanon (the contraceptive implant) because I felt it was the right choice for me!
    I found it took about 2 month's for my body to get totallyused to it and settle. My periods only came about once every 2 month's, which was a bit scary at first but you get used to it and it does settle into it's own pattern, different for everyone I presume.
    I'm finished with it now, I thought 2 years was enough to have it in, although you can get it replaced.
    Getting it removed was a little painful, they do give a local though which numbs it for about an hour, the area will be a little tender for about a week after as it need's time to heal.
    Hope this might be a bit useful to you..I've tried them all and Implanon definately worked best for me.. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Shinners21

BoozyBabe wrote:
    I'm assuming the implant leaves a scar on your arm??????

A really tiny scar,under your arm, you would never see it, wouldnt even know its there, and you only get the scar wen its removed, not inserted! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Can you tell me more about the bar??? the little thing thats inserted in the arm?
    I was on mercilon, my weight shot up by 1.5 stone in a year, and you don't feel like having sex when you feel fat a big fat cow.
    Then I went on yasmin, but was very drowsy and tired. I have stopped taking the pill, been off it about a month, and I have dropped about 1/2 stone, and feel way more energetic. However, without contraception I have been afraid to have much sex, and as my friend got pregnant when a condom split, I am not prepared to use condoms alone.

Can anyone suggest something that might suit me?
    What are the side effects of the implant?
    Does it hurt?
    Can you see it?

There are other pills available, you just have to ask your doctor for more options. Personally, I'm on Microlite, I don't feel moody, tired and I didn't put on weight. And that's just one option.

The thing is that pharmaceutical reps visit doctors and recommend drugs to them. So some doctors will prescribe mainly from one company, and might not be too aware of other options. In other words, if you're not happy with your doctor, talk to another one.

• Advertisement

Hey, someone posted ealier saying it can take a long time for the effects to wear off. I have zero intention of having children any time soon, but if I where to move to the implant, could it reduce my chances of concieving when I come of it??

Why don't they suggest this option to you in the first place?

When I spoke with my doctor she only mentioned the pill as a possible contraceptive.

Read the links given above and go talk to your Dr.

The family dr or gp is usually snowed under having to keep up with the research on all sorts of complaints and conditions and may not be aware of all the options out there or may not have given or prescribed any of the other contraceptional options.

Do as if you are considering any of the implants how many in the last 6 mnhts the dr has done....

This post has me all curious, sorry for barging in on a girlie chat.

Was wondering did any of you see the front page of the Herald this evening?

no I for one don't tend to buy evening papers,
    if you you have a point to make then make it and provide a link to back it up.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200512/s1520724.htm

Relax ... not everyone is out to have a go on Forums ye know.

I feel the need to explain myself because I think you have totally miss understood me.

I'd never heard of this type of contraception b4 until me ex got it. I still know little or nothing about it and was just curious when I seen the title. I was a small bit surprised nobody mentioned condoms and STD's. I read the paper and just thought it would be worth noting, that's all.

Sorry of i upset ye, genuinely didn't mean to and I'm not out to play games ... well past that stage ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

So does anyone have any positive stories about the pill injection? My girfriend's doctor suggested it to her recently, and since we're going away travelling for 3 months next year it seems like a very good idea (she's prone to forgetting her pill if her daily routine is interrupted, which it certainly will be while travelling). However after reading all this I'm having second thoughts about whether she should go ahead with it. She hasn't talked to the doc properly yet, he just brought it up when she finishing her appointment so she could consider it.

As a matter of interest, does it stop the period altogether? Or is it purely a contraceptive thing, and the regular cyle continues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

satchmo wrote:
    So does anyone have any positive stories about the pill injection? My girfriend's doctor suggested it to her recently, and since we're going away travelling for 3 months next year it seems like a very good idea (she's prone to forgetting her pill if her daily routine is interrupted, which it certainly will be while travelling). However after reading all this I'm having second thoughts about whether she should go ahead with it. She hasn't talked to the doc properly yet, he just brought it up when she finishing her appointment so she could consider it.

As a matter of interest, does it stop the period altogether? Or is it purely a contraceptive thing, and the regular cyle continues?

I was on it for over a year and am back on it now and to be honest I find it perfect for me. It does depend on the individual though. I haven't had any mood changes/ weight gain/ hair loss or anything. For me periods stop altogether apart from maybe a day or two out of every 3 months. When I came off it after using it for over a year it took about 8 months for my cycle to go back to normal but I knew it could take up to a year so I was prepared for it. Just started back on it and couldn't recommend it highly enough, but your gf should have a chat with her doctor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Just started back on it and couldn't recommend it highly enough, but your gf should have a chat with her doctor.
    Oh she fully intends to, I just thought I'd see what other people's experiences with it have been. Thanks!

sideFX wrote:
    I'd never heard of this type of contraception b4 until me ex got it. I still know little or nothing about it and was just curious when I seen the title. I was a small bit surprised nobody mentioned condoms and STD's.

This thread is about the differing types of contraception out there.
    Yes theses types of contraception do not protect against STI's and HIV
    but the standards of "Protect yourself, Play safe" are always understood here in PI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

Thought I might add the following....

For those, like myself, who are prone to forgetting to take their pill put a reminder on your phone for the time you should take your pill each day. There is an option in nokia phones at least that allows you to set the reminder to occur every day. This has definately helped me to take my pill on time each day.

A.

• Advertisement
Advertisement