Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Worn Track Rod Ends (expensive?)

Options
  • 28-11-2005 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭

Just had my 2000 Nissan Primera NCT'ed on Friday it failed because the track rod ends on the passenger side of the car are worn.

Do you think it will be expensive to repair I'm going to try and get an independant garage to do it as I need a service and new rear brake pads (although I don't know how these passed as they are in bad shape)

Should I get both track rods replaced or just the one I'm thinking I should get both as if one is worn then the other is probably work as well or if there is a new one on the left and an old one on the right it will create uneven wear.

Are there other parts that will need to be replaced as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Track rod ends from a motor factors would be about €15.00 each. May aswell replace both and reckon on about an hours labour !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Prices can vary from about 20 - 35 per track rod end.
    Worse case sinario, half hour labour.

Most expensive thing is your going to have to get the tracking done again.

No big deal (relax) track rod ends are supposted to wear (I think... Well... They wear thats all I know!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If you're getting new end joints then buy two and get both done. Or buy 4 and get new inner joints too!

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    If you're getting new end joints then buy two and get both done. Or buy 4 and get new inner joints too!

Mike.

Would you recommend getting the 2? My NCT failed on track rod end so just changed the one that failed... would that imbalance anything? (assuming i got the tracking/alignment done after replacment)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

No harm getting both track rod ends done esp if you plan to keep the car for a while and put it through another NCT or two. Car should feel a bit tighter with new rod ends plus tracking. Another thing to consider changing is the ball joints, many cars only have one per side and they are not dear to buy or fit. If one is replaced the tracking will need to be done again. So it might be an idea to get the rod ends, ball joints and the tracking done at the same time.

• Advertisement

BrianD3 wrote:
    No harm getting both track rod ends done esp if you plan to keep the car for a while and put it through another NCT or two. Car should feel a bit tighter with new rod ends plus tracking. Another thing to consider changing is the ball joints, many cars only have one per side and they are not dear to buy or fit. If one is replaced the tracking will need to be done again. So it might be an idea to get the rod ends, ball joints and the tracking done at the same time.

I reckon ill sell when I get the NCT, Gonna go for a bit of uberDiesel ;)

While I like having a nice shiny (ooh er) car, im after a bit of pulling power tbh

Advertisement