Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

engine problem? '99 Ford Fiesta

Options
  • 28-11-2005 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

hi

well, going to try and describe accurately what the problem is....

when i am doing about 40mph+ the rpm and mph needles go up/down a lot. plus the engine is making a chucking sound (for want of a better word).

anyone got any ideas?

it is due a full-service and is being left in today, but would be nice if i kinda had an idea before i hear it from the dealer themselves...

anyone???

--laoisfan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

It sounds a bit needle-haystack to me. My first guess was going to be farm-animal-stuck-in-engine but I think I will place a fiver on either ecu faulty or HT/ignition fault. Is it smooth to drive up to 40mph and then the problem starts? Will it accelerate up to 60+mph and does the problem get better or worse?

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

It sounds a bit needle-haystack to me. My first guess was going to be farm-animal-stuck-in-engine but I think I will place a fiver on either ecu faulty or HT/ignition fault. Is it smooth to drive up to 40mph and then the problem starts? Will it accelerate up to 60+mph and does the problem get better or worse?

'c

yes it smoothly going up to 40mph and then after that the problem starts with the needles. now the chucking sounds can start say from 30mph and stay like that. if i accelerate uo to 60mph+ then it does improve (but not totally).

sound like something you have experienced or know off?

if you do, would appreciate if you could expand your details. i do not know much about engines!!

--laoisfan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Does it happen at a certain engine speed or at a certain road speed? Does it happen at the same speed irrespective of gear?

I've a 96 Fiesta with the same engine - occasionally at idle, it starts revving and dipping. Once, in traffic, it cut out. The throttle is not done by wire so I suspect that whatever you call the bit that the throttle cable connects to has a problem at low accelerator settings. Supposedly a fault with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

What type of engine is it?

Is it a 1.3 Endura engine, or a 1.25 Zetec?

Does it only happen in a certain gear or at certain revs?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭ibanez

Ht Leads or throttle position sensor.Does it happen when the engine is cold or after 5-6 miles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

hi

sorry for the delay in getting back...v.busy in work today!! :)

turns out the 'ignition-coil' pack is gone....

so they will replace and do full-service and i will be able to collect car this evening....

:)

ps. do not even ask me how much..........

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

How much? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

HT/ignition fault
    I owe myself another fiver...

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

What's HT stand for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

.....or HT/ignition fault. .....
    'c

I was thinking an electronic ig module, however, the speedo needle jumping about sounds odd. RPM needle, no problem, it responds to the sparks, so no sparks, no RPM signal either.
    however, the Odometer is driven off the axle, not the ignition.... so I;m a bit confused how it also got to jumping about....
    Only thing I can think of is the engine had actually cut out completely and restarted, not just the odd miss here and there. Still seems a bit difficult to explain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭ibanez

Stephen wrote:
    What's HT stand for?
    High Tension.

Advertisement