Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Favourite Comedian?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Macseamusa

Dane Cook, all the way for me, if u guys dont know him check out his site, danecook.com
    you can listen to his stuff on his site, the player is on the top right, its great, well at least i think it is, let me know what u guys think.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Julesie

For me its got to be Bill Bailey (saw him in the olympia couple of months ago and he was incredible, a sort of original twist on normal stand up). After that, Billy Connelly, Peter Kay and Dara O'Brian would be my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

David O'Doherty hands down...
    Ok, well maybe Ricky Gervais is up there too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭bagdaddy

I always thought Billy connely was overrated but lately i feel that he is just pure ****e. Tommy Tiernan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

bagdaddy wrote:
    I always thought Billy connely was overrated but lately i feel that he is just pure ****e. Tommy Tiernan.
    I'd say the same about Tommy Tiernan to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭muffin_man

Number 1: Colin Murphy on the panel! What a genious! Terrible on the Blizzard of odd tho so it makes me wonder. Dane Cook, Jimmy Carr and Dave O'Doherty would be up there too!

And what's the deal-io with no funny women comedians? For shame!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Angels

Oh it has to be the following for me:

1.) Tommy Tiernan
    2.) Des Bishop
    3.) Darra Breen (The Panel)
    4.) Billy Connolly
    5.) Colin Murphy (The Panel

Tommy makes me laugh until my sides are splitting!!:D :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Dylan Moran and Bill Bailey are my favourites.

On the Irish scene I'd say my favourite comedian's David O'Doherty.

Black Books fan are we?? Tis truely one of the vest shows on TV!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Julesie wrote:
    For me its got to be Bill Bailey (saw him in the olympia couple of months ago and he was incredible, a sort of original twist on normal stand up). After that, Billy Connelly, Peter Kay and Dara O'Brian would be my favourites.

Was at that gig aswell, was excellent. Bailey's music gags are brilliant.
    Also love Merton, Gervais, Carr, and of course, Mr Woody Allen. and Hicks. and Pryor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

The 3 Bills

Billy Connolly
    Bill Bailey
    Bill Engvall

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭40crush41

1) Dane Cook (please heed the advise and check this mans website if u havn't heard him already.)
    2) Brian Reagan
    3) Jerry Seinfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Steve Coogan - Alan Partridge etc (although his movies are a bit crap)

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

40crush41 wrote:
    1) Dane Cook (please heed the advise and check this mans website if u havn't heard him already.)
    2) Brian Reagan
    3) Jerry Seinfield.

three very good choices,i checked out that dane cook website and i was on it for over an hour and still i havent seen or heard all the content, very funny guy.

Brian Reagan's good also.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Billy Connolly

Also Bill Hicks, Bill Bailey (hmm, the name Bill must have comedy attached to it), Dermot Morgan :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭**elaine**

Has to be Tommy Tiernan, funny guy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭the_menace

Lee Evans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sterculelum

Larry David
    Ricky Gervais
    Seinfeld

to name a few

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Jackie Mason
    Woody Allen
    Max Wall (rip)
    Groucho (rip)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sterculelum

Irish wise... that Andrew Maxwell fella off Panel is really good.

Colin Murphy, Dylan Moran was good on Stop! You're Killing Me... Tom Tiernan was good too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭the_jocky

love peter kay and upstairs in the halfpenny bar on a tuesday good laurf there. speaking of a good laurf look at this lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭beserker

Watched a Doug Stanhope show over Christmas.Anyone who mentioned Bill Hicks above should check his stuff out. V funny guy.No morals tho (over 18's only:)) Eddie Murphy - Raw is great also, deffo up there with Bill... "Umfoofoo" - hahahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 polkadots

bagdaddy wrote:

IMO, Billy Connelly is hugely over-rated!!
    Tommy Tiernan is the best around:) ...Honourable mentions to Peter kay, Ricky Gervais and Des Bishop(though i'm beginning to think that I may just be blinded by the fact that he is so damn fine!!):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭samb

Ricky Gervais
    Barry Murphy
    Jimmy Carr
    Ed Byrne
    Andrew Maxwell
    Dylan Moran
    David McSavage
    Jack Dee
    These are my favourites in no order, well, that I can think of right now. Can't understand the popularity of Tommy personally, he takes ages for most laughs and is all in the style with little substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭cunninstunt

IMO, Billy Connelly is hugely over-rated!!
    Tommy Tiernan is the best around ...Honourable mentions to Peter kay, Ricky Gervais and Des Bishop(though i'm beginning to think that I may just be blinded by the fact that he is so damn fine!!)

How can you say this. If you know tommy tiernans style at all you will know that he brought this from connelly. The whole starting a story then going off an a huge tangent and eventually coming back to that story again. Connolly was first to use this style. The reason Connolly is so great is because his gigs arent just funny storys they are also comments on everyday life. Robin Williams said the reason he is so great is because he can see the funny side to almost any situation in life. Its not really known but connelly never writes down material, this makes him a legend. Like he once said in a gig.

" This gig is going really well, its like a conversation, except you dont get to say anything."

More Quotes

Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that who cares?... He's a mile away and you've got his shoes!

To a member of the audience who was heckling - 'Don't tell me how to do my job, do I go to your job and tell you how to sweep up'

Two guys are talking and one says to the other: "What would you do if the end of the world was in 3 minutes time?" The other one says, "I'd sh*g everything that moved...What would you do?" And he says, "I'd stand perfectly still."

Oh aye...my Father would thrash me every now and then. He'd talk while he did it too! He'd hit me and shout, 'Have ye had enough?' Had enough? Whit kind of question is that? 'Why, Father, would another kick in the balls be out of the question???'

It seems to me that Islam and Christianity and Judaism all have the same god, and he's telling them all different things.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Used to be 'The Big Yin', but I'd have to say Tommy Tiernan, watched 'Loose' at christmas, had me in tears funniest thing I'd seen in memory. My mistake was watching Billy's new DVD afterwards, nearly lost a hero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Lola123

Des Bishop and David McSavage.
    I don't understand how ppl think tommy tiernan is funny. He's woeful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭flangeman

I've got all of Tommy Tiernans DVD's at home and I've seen him live twice in London at late night after theatre gigs (trying out stuff before a big run), the entire theatre (just the stalls) were Irish who heard about them through the 'London Irish Network'. Now he started off grand and in all respects was 'reading' the crowds reaction (you could see him 'ticking over' and then halfway through it started, just in little bits and then increasing, serious feckin racist slang etc.. unfortunatly the crowd was loving it. I'd like to think that he was playing the crowd to see how bad they are, but there is no excuse, I'm not easily affended (not at all, you should see my collection) but I was sickened by what I saw and the ex that was with me though the exact same (but his first DVD is the stuff of legend, or 'Leg End' as my Kiwi ex would say).

Ardal does plays a similiar little gig in London around the same time every year (Autumn), and in 3 years running I've seen him play the same material, which is disgraceful, although the last time, Gina McKee was sitting next to me, JEASUS that was great http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0571160/).

Dara O'Briain is your only man, seen him in front of 6 people in Temple Bar years ago and 100 in London recently, he rocks!!

The 'Big Yin' has lost his way, he should stick to his travel doc things, some of the best I've seen on telly.

Steven Wright will always be up there.

Mr Hicks will forever be in our hearts.

Mr Rock for leading his people, I reckon he'll be the first black President if Will Smith decides against it.

But for originality, checkout this guy (especially his Irish ditty, 'Down to the Ye old Pub Instead' I'm sure you can get a sample somewhere:) ), timeless class checkout http://www.stephenlynch.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Angels

Lola123 wrote:
    Des Bishop and David McSavage.
    I don't understand how ppl think tommy tiernan is funny. He's woeful!
    his comedy is full of things that people in ireland have either come across or experienced & thats what makes him hilarious.

Say no more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

Bill Hicks wipes* the floor with every comedian ever to try and fill the air with half of his brilliance. Not only was he was volcanically funny, he used his position to push the envelope. He didn't ask for audiences to like him, he just did what he knew to be true and funny. The majority of other comedians are joke-blowers, full of empty quips and one-lining quick-fixes, whereas Bill used comedy to convey his opinions, beliefs and ideals**. Hicks was about taking a stand. The only man since Elvis to be censored on Letterman, a hate-figure for Atheists and fundamentalists alike - his list of credentials goes on and on, just like his comic legacy. He was truly revolutionary, both in his routine and his ideals.
    The Bends and Aenima - two of the best rock albums ever, if you ask me - are dedicated to him also...

George Carlin, Lenny Bruce and Richard Pryor are great funnymen also.

As far as other joke-blowers go, Dylan Moran and Bill Bailey are super.

*note - present tense
    **which were all entirely correct, all of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

no one (to my knowledge anyway) has mentioned dave chappelle. ok hes american and not so close to home with his material but his show is excellent and from the stand up ive seen he is hilarious.
    as well i like the normal choices like bill bailey, tommy, billy connoly.

also i think Dylan Moran is a very funny man but i went to see him and i was a bit disappointed to be honest. i saw Rich Hall too and he was brilliant!(along with the D O' D)

Advertisement