Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

workstation service slowing down login

• 28-11-2005 5:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭

ok heres the deal, one of the guys in the office goes offsite a lot and plugs his laptop running xp pro into client networks all the time, recently his login screen has been slow. i.e. he enters his u/n and p/w and it takes at least 8-15 mins to load the desktop.

using msconfig I found out that this was down to the workstation service running at startup. disabling it at startup and the desktop loads up instantly, but to connect to our network shares here it needs to be started.

Any ideas why it would be so slow all of a sudden? or any settings I can change to make it load up quicker?

We have another 5 desktops here and they're all fine, no slowness at all.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Has he got a firewall running on it? I would not go connecting my laptop to foreign networks without one. If he hasn't, its quite possible he's picked up some kind of virus - give it a full scan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Check the event log, a full av/spyware scan won't do any harm either.

Check the properties of the service, and try and set it to restart if it hangs etc.

Event log might show up something though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

Yup firewall is running, and I'll give it a scan after work...

I'll check the event log too...

When I start the service manually it doesn't hang it just takes ages to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Are there many network (file & printer) shares, any using terminal services?

Does reducing the number of automatically mapped shares speed up the workstation restart times?

Advertisement