Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I see. And how do you pronounce that?

Options
  • 28-11-2005 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭

Ah, fantasy novels. The great escape of teenage nerds all over the world from the mundane world around them.

But would these other wordly other worlds feel so far away if every second character was called Phil or Bob? Of course not. And so their authors feel obliged to populate them instead with characters with the most ludicrously made up names, often without any vowels and sometimes spanning nine or ten pages (but thankfully shortened to something handy like G'klxy). Sometimes they even include a pronunciation key.

But you do you ever pay any attention these? Do you prefer to just read the book and when you see a new name pronounce it in a way that sounds right to your inner ear? Or do you find yourself studiously refering back to the front page every time a new character is encountered to ensure you capture the author's original intentions?

My sister was convinced that in the Dragonlance series Riverwind was pronounced Riverwined and Raistlin Rastelin. I actually like her interpretations even though they're the opposite of mine. Anyone else any odd pronunciations of made up name to share?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Yes i just say in my mind what i find best. sometimes if its very stupid i just skip the name (and some made up words too) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

I tend to either make up my own wee version of the name, or if I'm feeling particularly lazy I'll just skim over it without even trying to pronounce it. It's always strange if you see a film version afterwards and everything's pronounced completely different though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 ChrisCross

Those pronounciation guides are for hardcore nerds to go "WTF you n00b - It's pronounced Qjklar-LORE the Mighty. I mock you. I mock you good with your obvious lack of skills and knoledge comapred to me. My nerdiness is uperior. MWHAHAHA."

Think virtual penis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Earthhorse wrote:
    Ah, fantasy novels. The great escape of teenage nerds all over the world from the mundane world around them.

But would these other wordly other worlds feel so far away if every second character was called Phil or Bob? Of course not. And so their authors feel obliged to populate them instead with characters with the most ludicrously made up names, often without any vowels and sometimes spanning nine or ten pages (but thankfully shortened to something handy like G'klxy). Sometimes they even include a pronunciation key.

But you do you ever pay any attention these? Do you prefer to just read the book and when you see a new name pronounce it in a way that sounds right to your inner ear? Or do you find yourself studiously refering back to the front page every time a new character is encountered to ensure you capture the author's original intentions?

My sister was convinced that in the Dragonlance series Riverwind was pronounced Riverwined and Raistlin Rastelin. I actually like her interpretations even though they're the opposite of mine. Anyone else any odd pronunciations of made up name to share?
    not all of them had wierd names, look athe the chronicles of thomas covenant

they all have wierd names apart from the high lord kevin, like wtf?? that doesnt make any sence his dad, grand dad, great grand dad all had mad names (loric, damelon, berek) just never got the reason for that but ill ntake my nerd hat off now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭direbadger

I know a girl who pronounces it Rastelin too, but it wasn't a particularly intelligent conversation anyway; who's hotter - Raistlin or Dalamar! (I voted for Raistlin, her for Dalamar)

For the longest time I was pronouncing all the Elvish Cs in Tolkien as soft Cs when they are meant to be hard like a K. I said something to another friend about "Seleborn", Gladriel's husband (or whatever he is), and she was horrified! She gave me a long lecture on the correct pronunciation of Elvish for my troubles! :rolleyes: Celeborn with a k sounded wrong wrong wrong in my head for a long time, but I've since gotten used to it.

I like the strange names in fantasy novels. I prefer when they're not completely unpronounceable - but I think that's more of a sci-fi thing. I don't think I could take High Lord Kevin seriously! I'm having a bit of trouble with a certain Captain Kennit at the moment (I keep reading it as Captain Kenneth).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

TBH, i very rarely try out the names in my head, unless a pronunciation key is provided. I had fun at the end of "Eragon".

• Registered Users Posts: 9 BerigWielbark

My ambition is to write a sci-fi/fantasy novel where all the characters have generic oddly northern English names such as Stan, Mike, Dave, Vera, and the likes.

Think Corrie in spandex and there you go.

But seriously, most of the time I come with my own pronounciation for things. H.P Lovecraft can't check me grief because of my mispronounciation of Baxaxaxa or similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

As far as I remember, Lovecraft tended to say "pronounce it however you like, it's still a faint shadow of the squamous horror's true blasphemous name. Also, demoniac and gambrel roof. God I love those words..."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

direbadger wrote:
    I know a girl who pronounces it Rastelin too, but it wasn't a particularly intelligent conversation anyway; who's hotter - Raistlin or Dalamar! (I voted for Raistlin, her for Dalamar)

My sister's thinking was that it was meant to rhyme with "waste", which is quite becoming of the Raistlin character.
    madrab wrote:
    not all of them had wierd names, look athe the chronicles of thomas covenant

In Guy Kay's Fionavar Tapestry most of the main characters have normal names. But then again, they are from earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Sarn

Earthhorse wrote:
    My sister's thinking was that it was meant to rhyme with "waste", which is quite becoming of the Raistlin character.

Apparently it is supposed to be pronounced like "waste", don't ask me where I heard that :p

I use whatever pronunciation sounds right in my head but will switch if I hear the "correct" pronunciation. At the end of the day it's the story in the book that concerns me most and I don't talk to people about characters anymore so it's not an issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement