Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training video & advice appreciated

• 28-11-2005 5:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭

I'm just on the road back to fitness after 2 years out with verterbrae damage. I used to be a fairly handy in the college boxing scene but at 25 I don't have enough time to fully dedicate to the serious training that would be involved in the jump up to club boxing.

I've joined Westwood gym and they have a heavy bag and mirrored walls there and I have my own gloves and pads I can use with a mate cos I wanna get back to it, at least informally, and if it went well I'd look into getting involved again.

I'm a quarter inch under 6ft, and could just about make the 81kg for light-heavy cos of my stocky build. My strengths have always been a heavyweight's punch and the ability to take an opponent's best shot and keep coming at him.

My weaknesses have been my willingness to take that shot on the way in, and therefore a lack of variety going forward, and a very poor defence. My coach always regarded me as a slugger and has no respect for that style (though when I sparred Jim Rock he said I had real potential) so I've never really had any advice on how to tighten up the defence or get creative going forward.

I'd love any advice in that regard, and I really think that a decent training video would be just what I need as I could practice the stuff in the gym on my own and improve while getting back up to speed. Any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭ADO

well im not trying to sound blunt here but im gonna try put it in a nutshell for you...

Protect urself at all times, if ur moving backward, sideways or forward ALWAYS protect yourself, try stepping in more when u jab,if your 81kgs u should be able to get some sort of weight behind your punch,practise it when ur shadow boxing, stepping forward alot more. Same with the standard 1-2, just get in on them, REMEMBER: the closer you get ontop of a person the less movement they have to put any power in there punches. "if u work the body the head will fall...."

as for getting back "into it" just work your way back into boxing, u dont start going over board with your training, u will only do urself more damage, start getting a routine going, start watching what you eat, you will feel the benifit once you start training again u might not stop,

Best of Luck... ;)

*ding ding*

Advertisement