Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exam tips? (:

Options
  • 28-11-2005 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Well, I know we all like tips for exams :)

So feel free to share any or to ask for any...

For example, anyone got any tips for the 1st year history courses? :o

Comparative revolutions --> Russian and French revolutions

I just went through my notes and this is what I had taken down from lectures and tutorials... if anyone has had the lecturers before (Prof. Gough, and can't remember the other one... Devlin?)
    Early Medieval World
    Romans, etc.
    [ ] Roman Empire
    [ ] Vikings
    [ ] Charlemagne
    [ ] Islamic Conquests

Christianity, etc.
    [ ] St. Patrick (life)
    [ ] St. Patrick (cult)
    [ ] Anglo-Saxons
    [ ] Mohammed

Comparative Revolutions
    French Revolution
    [ ] Origins
    [ ] Terror
    [ ] National Assembly

Russian Revolution
    [ ] October (Bolsheviks)
    [ ] Civil War
    [ ] Decline of Lenin
    [ ] Consolidation of Stalin’s power

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Doing the same exams this week. Should be no haslte. I got Johnson's Slides and Goughs Question "Was the terror a cause or a consequence" . Russia aslwel. Watch Stalin. No Worries. Easy Papers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Finance:
    Derivative of perpetuities
    Options
    Mergers
    Beta
    Normal q.1

besty wrote:
    Finance:
    Options
    Mergers
    Beta
    Normal q.1

Whatever floats your boat my friend

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Finance:
    Options
    Mergers
    Beta
    Normal q.1
    Yeah is that what he was saying today in class?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 ChrisCross

Don't fail.

Definately don't fail if you're not even doing a real degree (you know what I'm talkin bout).

If you think you're going to fail don't start watching a Buffy marathon.

• Advertisement

oh and don't forget those sweet sweet past exam questions.
    Check the Stuweb.

Its never the end of the world

Yeah it's called the apocalypse and Buffy will save us anyways.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

besty wrote:
    Finance:
    Options
    Mergers
    Beta
    Normal q.1
    Yeah, that's pretty much it for Finance, except for question 1 add in Adjusted Present Value as well (did it in class today)

I also reckon M&M is a fairly safe bet for it too. My list looks like this:
    M&M
    Mergers
    Capital budgeting—including adjusted PV
    Options (Theory)—Derivatives
    Beta

Besty and Hullaballoo, you in B&L or Commerce or which courses?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I know for a fact Vikings is coming up in the History exam

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Pythia wrote:
    We're both in B&L.

And you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Elva Johnson is usually a pretty good one to go with. Shes a very fair marker and a great lecturer.

DaveMcG
    Friends | FOAF

How did you manage 1,148 posts in 3 months? That's 11 posts a day--amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

DaveMcG wrote:

If you go back to the start of May and read all the threads for that month you'll get a lot of good exam info. Plus some of them are really, really entertaining!

Pythia wrote:
    I'm B&L Pythia. I recognise you from some lectures from your pic on the other thread. Think you were in the lib yesterday possibly? Ok, I should stop now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

guys im in commerce 2nd year, have the same topics as you guys.it should be ok,if i get some study done:D

For anyone out there doing 1st History

Cut down pretty short but these are the topics im going to learn for tomorrow night

1)Vikings
    2)Rome Transformation/Decline
    3)St Patrick
    4)Islam

Do one.

And for Firday night (i hate revolutions)

Covering
    1)Stalin
    2)Russian Civil War
    3)The Terror in the French Revolution

Comments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 maireadrua

Yeah, that's pretty much it for Finance, except for question 1 add in Adjusted Present Value as well (did it in class today)

I also reckon M&M is a fairly safe bet for it too. My list looks like this:

Looks good to me. Am also looking over pretty much all of the assignments, as parts of them will come up in some shape or form. and considering I finally submitted them all...:rolleyes:

maireadrua wrote:
    Looks good to me. Am also looking over pretty much all of the assignments, as parts of them will come up in some shape or form. and considering I finally submitted them all...:rolleyes:

ah you've finally reached financial nirvana mairead. i'm a long way off that....apparently they aren't being marked, he is just going to check that they are submitted

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 maireadrua

besty wrote:
    ah you've finally reached financial nirvana mairead. i'm a long way off that....apparently they aren't being marked, he is just going to check that they are submitted
    Sweet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

o those damn assignments. gone past caring at thhis stage. lecture was class today, good old jimmy. great man and i found his sexist jokes quite funny tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

font 22 are u in jims class for finance.he is class,he just gave it the exam cannot wait tp start studing and understand that stuff as it looks and sounds easy enough.

are stupid accounting teacher gave no hints i was waiting for them but at the end of lecture she goes thats it and good luck in the exam:rolleyes:

Go Jimmy, go! Remember the 'rack' today!
    Those questions better be on the exam now, they'll be all I'll know.
    Yeah besty, I was in the library on Tuesday, studying for Macro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

Oh god, Macro! At least it's MCQ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

For comparative revolutions -- do you have to pass both the continuous assessment AND the exam, or do you just have to pass overall? My friend told me that for medieval you just have to pass overall, but I didn't ask for comparative. Anyone know?

Im not following at all. If you fail the exam you have to repeat no? As in you have to pass the exam and get a higher than an F in your essay to ove on. IF im wrong please correct me..

PS Dave. Studying The Terror only for todays exam. It has been up every year since 1999, and prob before. Blanking the Russian one, just the terror. Whats your plan for tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

DaveMcG wrote:

Here's one — get your sorry asses off Boards for a little while and DO SOME WORK! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yeah but you know the way the continuous assessment counts for 50% of your overall grade, and the exam counts for the other 50%? I was asking if, say you got 35% out of the 50% for the CA, and 15% out of the 50% for the exam (ie. you passed the CA, but failed the exam), then altogether that gives you 50% -- a pass overall, but you've failed one part of the course.

So in other words, do you need to get >20% (out of 50%) from each part of the course?

I'll most likely be studying the terror too... I tried to do Russia, but it's just too tricky or something, I can't get it. What part of the terror are you doing? What aspect of it, like?

Someone said that the question "was the terror a cause or a consequence?" will be coming up... how would you answer that? :confused:

• Advertisement

I think if you fail you have to repeat regardless of how it affects your overall grade. Id have to say the terror was a consequence and outline what happened and why. Then the final stage was pure indulgence. Im heading to the exam center early. I study better at the door in my car. And by early I mean now

Advertisement