Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exam tips? (:

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

nothing new there besty! i told u i wud give them to you anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Programming seems like it's gonna be fine. The previous exam paper was easy enough and if this years paper is anything like it i'll be crawling on the floor.
    1st year Java is REALLY easy. You're all going to be grand :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭muffin_man

What happens if you get caught cheating?
    I hear you like get banned from sitting any UCD exams for a few years!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Ok let's say I'm bad at Subject A and good at Subject B. My same sex friend is the opposite. What's to stop us making fake exam cards (swap the pictures on them) and doing each other's exams? Just a thought...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Do the invigilators even look at the pictures? None of mine seemed to...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

muffin_man wrote:
    What happens if you get caught cheating?
    I hear you like get banned from sitting any UCD exams for a few years!

depends on how much u cheated. All incidents get passed to the exam board and its up to them to decide. Some depts are heavier on it than others. I know of one guy in eng who was caught with notes and banned from sitting exams for 2 years. And as you have to pass the exams within 2 years of presenting yourself for examination he failed the course and was out of UCD. Would have had to reapply thru CAO again.

Pythia wrote:
    Ok let's say I'm bad at Subject A and good at Subject B. My same sex friend is the opposite. What's to stop us making fake exam cards (swap the pictures on them) and doing each other's exams? Just a thought...

not alot tbh. But unless they employ really strict (and I mean strict) id control on entry to exam etc, they can never completely eliminate the probability of this. So technically you might get away with it.

But would you trust your friend to be able to pass for you?

DaveMcG wrote:
    Do the invigilators even look at the pictures? None of mine seemed to...

Yep we do.

1st year Java is REALLY easy. You're all going to be grand :)

Yea if u fail 1st yr java, u either must be completely thick, in which case there is no hope for you in csi, or just not bothered your ass at all. It requires the minimum effort to pass this.

Red Alert wrote:
    John Clarke from the RDS usually has some good ones about cheaters. The baseball cap one and seat swapping are usually on his list.

If you go back to last year about May and look at the threads here there's one about a guy having a major row with five invigilators who then gave chase from the Simmonscourt. Quite funny actually.

haha, I was one of them. Was quite scary, your man was off his face on something. I was just waiting for him to deck one of us.

Ok i apolgise for the 5 in a row posting. Just couldn't be bothered to combine all the quotes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

lay-zeee!

irlrobins wrote:
    haha, I was one of them. Was quite scary, your man was off his face on something. I was just waiting for him to deck one of us.

Ok i apolgise for the 5 in a row posting. Just couldn't be bothered to combine all the quotes.

Post count ++ ? :)

Pythia wrote:
    count++

See! Even Pythia can pass java.

Insider java joke, Rainbow will def get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Pod 78

Good try cheater-was a guy who had notes input into his watch (one of those casio calculator yokes) this was a few years ago. He input formula etc.. and results for a Science exam- he was caught fairly sharpish and watch was confiscated... booted out of UCD- Apparently he never did claim his watch back from examinations.

Another one - I was an invigilator and a guy came back out of the toilets with his notes in his hands as my friend (another invigilator) was leading him back into the exam hall.... he was the stupidest! He did not put the notes back in his pocket after looking at them in the toilets. He was fined and held back to repeat the exams.

Fines now go to New Era Programme - worthwhile cause.

My best tip for exams- ask your lecturer questions when they arrive, usually there for the first 30-60 minutes. They can be quite helpful :) They don't particuarly want their students to fail, just means they have to mark more papers...:( You can ask them to clarify the questions, it's very hard not to help as to give an answer you have to usually give some kind of clue without favouring that student.

Pod 78 wrote:
    Good try cheater-was a guy who had notes input into his watch (one of those casio calculator yokes) this was a few years ago. He input formula etc.. and results for a Science exam- he was caught fairly sharpish and watch was confiscated... booted out of UCD- Apparently he never did claim his watch back from examinations.

Damnit that was me who caught him! Maybe I'm a UCD legend. And it was a really really bad attempt at cheating. I clocked him acting suspicious 5 mins into exam.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

you must be getting a 'best invigilator' prize by now! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

irlrobins wrote:
    See! Even Pythia can pass java.

Insider java joke, Rainbow will def get it.

Why isn't there a cringe smilie?

Red Alert wrote:
    you must be getting a 'best invigilator' prize by now! :D

Anyday now.... anyday.

So which place do you supervise so we can look out for you?

Science...

• Advertisement

Floor 1 or 2?

1. You got exams there?

I was staring right at you for a good while today then. Tax at 9.30. Row 4, Seat 6. Red hair. You had a top with something starting with E on it?

Yep that was me.... Can't picture u.... Sorry.

Kinda feaky the way you say "staring right at me".... :p

Sorry if I didn't notice. Next time come up and say hi!

Won't be in Science again...
    I was very naughty, I didn't have an exam card. They gave me a post-it instead but spelt my name wrong. Silly invigilators!

ha, know who u are now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭pilson

Heres an exam tip for anyone doing the Information Systems final on Thursday (COMP4002):
    dont leave it until 3 days before the exam to start studying...:eek:

Man, I remember picking this unit coz the past papers looked handy. Theres a lot to be said for loads of short questions with short answers instead of this essay crap...:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Anyone have any links to the past Intro to information studies papers. i'm in a bit of a panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Anyone got any tips for Damien Dalton's Digital Systems exam tomorrow? Because I'm more than a little fux0red for it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Shhhh you! I'm in bigger trouble.

Advertisement