Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broadband in Portlaw

• 28-11-2005 6:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭

I know this doesn't quite fall under the juristiction of Waterford city, but I'd appreciate any replies. My bf and his brother are considering getting a broadband subscription for their parents, who live in Portlaw, Co Waterford.

Does anyone here have experience of getting broadband in that area?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

Hi

check out this site

might be some info there.

I'll pass on the thread details to the guy that upped the site as well via a mutual friend.
    He sometimes frequents boards

rgds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

I'm a portlaw man myself, and there's a guy who has been trying for broadband out here for ages, but no luck yet, (i dont want to use his name but i'm certain a few of you probably know him by the sounds of things).

But to be honest i dont think theres that many people out here who use the internet that regularly to want it, personally I would love to get it out here, stupid 56k dial-up **shakey-fist** :mad:

Also thanks for that link, i've been looking for that with a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TwistsAndTurns

A friend of mine has being trying for ages to get broadband out there, but even the cordless ones will not work out there! He was told that a seperate mast for the signal would have to be erected because its down in a valley. So I think you might be snookered out there unless Eircom can help?:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Eircom will probably just offer their magical Satellite broadband!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭JMcL

dudara wrote:
    I know this doesn't quite fall under the juristiction of Waterford city, but I'd appreciate any replies. My bf and his brother are considering getting a broadband subscription for their parents, who live in Portlaw, Co Waterford.

Does anyone here have experience of getting broadband in that area?

Have a look here: http://www.irish-wan.com/, though as another poster said, you're probably out of luck as Portlaw is down in a valley, but you never know. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for DSL when Eircon can continue to milk you for dialup charges :-(

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Well as a broadband user I have to thank all the remaining DSL and ISDN users for funding Eircoms new years upgrade to 2mb/3mb lines and 256k upload

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thanks for all the info guys. If you have any more, keep it coming. In the meantime, I'll pass all this on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

mods - first of all, sorry for bumping a post from november but info is relevant

my mate (from earlier in this thread) asked me to update this with some info.

He got an email tonight from a supplier to tell him the local exchange was being DSL enabled in the next week or 2.

good news for those in Portlaw :D

He doesn't post on boards so asked me to up this.
    Contact him via the site for more info.
    http://broadband4portlaw.cjb.net

rgds

thund3rbird_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Theres a number of county villages getting BB exchanges in the next few weeks including Kilmeaden and Kilmacthomas.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

mike65 wrote:
    Theres a number of county villages getting BB exchanges in the next few weeks including Kilmeaden and Kilmacthomas.

Mike.

Oh holy cow i hope kilmeaden gets it as im in butlerstown, maybe i will get BB if they do. On the eircom site it states that my local exchange is kilmeaden.

Thanks for the heads up guys will keep an eye on this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Sorry for posting again.

Just went onto Eircom site to check my line and it passed :). I feel like i could jump over the moon now :).

Anyone know what company is the best ?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

the people over on the broadband board will be able to advise you best :)

Advertisement