Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballet lessons?

Options
  • 28-11-2005 7:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Wee one been asking to go for a while, she old enough now to go.
    But not that easy to find classes that arent part of a dancing school.

Anyone know of any preferably in Dublin :0

kdjac

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭CarolLorraine

Here's a list of dance schools

http://www.whatswhat.ie/directory.php/Dance_Schools/210/

She wants to do ballet classes but you don't want her to go to a dancing school? I don't understand. Most ballet teachers are with a school, even if it's only their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

Where in Dublin?

MM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

She wants to do ballet classes but you don't want her to go to a dancing school? I don't understand. Most ballet teachers are with a school, even if it's only their own.

other daughter does irish Dancing in community centres and its more fun no pressure as its mostly people who teach in sapre time not as a job. A Dance School is pressure to perform not fun :)

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭CarolLorraine

Oh okay :) In that case I would recommend enrolling her into a stage school. A little less serious than a ballet school as the emphasis is on learning and gaining confidence while having fun. Lots of other kids there too!

Try places like The Hollywood Academy (I know they were supposed to have started ballet classes in September), The Billie Barry Kids, Starstruck etc. Check out www.stageschool.com for info on Starstruck and www.thehollywoodacademydublin.com for info on The Hollywood Academy.

Ballet is very different to Irish Dancing. It's more classical, has grades, syllabi and associations to which the teachers come under such as The Royal Academy of Dancing (RAD) or The Imperial Society of Teachers of Dancing (ISTD), those two being the most common, so ballet by it's very nature tends to be someway technical though can still be lots of fun which is why it's so popular and has the students returning for more. Also again I'll say that teachers don't usually go out under their own name even if they are the only teacher with their school of dance.

If you didn't want to go down the stage school route then the best thing would be to go and see the ballet classes near to where you live - Northside or Southside. It's the only way you'll get a feel for the classes and their suitability as well as the teacher's. Some teachers are more relaxed than others in regards to syllabus work, particularly depending on the ages in the class i.e. the younger they are the less of an emphasis there is.

There are loads of classes around for kids so don't be afraid to shop around. It's worth your while, particulary as you don't know how long you may have to be returning to this school for as your daughter may really take to it.

Let us know how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

My two little ones both did Ballet in the Dundrum Family Recreation Centre (aka the local School Hall) and absolutely loved it. The classes are organised by the Sylvia Behan School of Ballet http://www.iol.ie/~reccentr/cclass.html.
    Sylvia also organises classes in a few other spots around Dublin so you could give her a ring. For the first few years its mainly fun but they can get serious later on if they want and do ballet exams etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Im going with the fun part 1st as ballet is in my opinion a bit more serious due to its classicalness :D

But Stage School never even thought of that....thats a brilliant idea theres a kids performance group in Inchicore that a mates kid goes too. Bloody brilliant idea !!!

Thanks

kdjac

Advertisement