Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Portsmouth new manager

• 28-11-2005 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

Supposedly Neil Warnock met with Mialn Mandaric earlier today, but insisted he will be boss of United for the Sheffield Derby come Saturday.

Is this a good move for Warnock?
    Surely not. Mandaric seems to be a lunatic and very undermining, while he is something of a God at Sheffield Utd. That said, the Utd board are holding off on offering him a new contract until this season is over, so Warnock is understandably annoyed, as it is showing a lack of faith in him.

Others are saying maybe Harry Redknapp will go back, but somehow, id see myself wearing a Shels jersey before that would happen. Claudio Ranieri and George Graham are also both mentioned, but again, i couldnt imagine them taking that job, which is, in effect, a poisoned chalice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Can't imagine Ranieri getting it after they've all just hyped up getting a British manager with pride and passion.
    Very much doubt Warnock will go for it... I'd say he'll use it as a threat to the Blades board to make his contract secure or he'll go (somewhere).
    I think Redknapp may well go for it given the chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

I think George Burley could be a good bet. Fair enough he had the same kinda problems up at Hearts, a boll&x of a Chariman, but i reckon he could be tempted to manage in the Premierleague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Warnock would be nuts to abandon Sheffield United but if the cheque is big enough he may forget his common sense.

Hell even 'arry is being mentioned as returning!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I think Warnock is mad. He's on the way up with Utd. Itd would hilarious for the UTd fans and theyd get loads of mileage out of it if he left, then saw Ud get promoted and Pompey relegated.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Warnock is at Utd a long time, and if he hasnt got them up by now i doubt he will. He would be a midtable manager in the PL, is that the best he can hope for with either club?

Portsmouth have some good players, and i doubt many would begrudge him for leaving he has done a good job at utd but they never had the cash to make the final push for PL.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Stekelly wrote:
    I think Warnock is mad. He's on the way up with Utd. Itd would hilarious for the UTd fans and theyd get loads of mileage out of it if he left, then saw Ud get promoted and Pompey relegated.:)

I wouldnt be so sure about Sheffield Utd getting promoted. They have lost 2 and drawn one out of their last 3 matches and are notorious for dropping down the table after a good start. They have been in this position before a few times and blown it. The temptation of the Premiership might be too much for Warnock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

While Mandaric has done wonders for Pompey, I think he would be difficult to work under. He's very hands-on, always wants to be in the media spotlight and maybe even active on team affairs. The final nail in the coffin for Harry was bringing in Velimir Zajec. It also must not strike confidence in incoming managers when they see his record....ten managers since he took over the club?
    The team is in decline and at times look unsavable, whereas Sheffield United are on the up. I know they've had a couple of bad results, but it's hardly a crisis, and they look strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

i think warenock should stay where he is. Portsmouth are a club on a downward spiral while sheff utd are a clob on the up.

I think George Burley could be a good bet. Fair enough he had the same kinda problems up at Hearts, a boll&x of a Chariman, but i reckon he could be tempted to manage in the Premierleague.

I think the rangers job is set up for george

Sky were reporting today that Sheffield United are considering the offer from Portsmouth, while Rangers refused Pompey permission to talk to Alex Mcleish. Simon Jordon also refused them permission to talk to Iain Dowie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Simon Jordon also refused them permission to talk to Iain Dowie.

damn right, if Dowie left Palace i would shoot myself. Dowie won't leave Palace, he loves that club. He is a very proud and determined manager, he won't rest till Palace are in the Premierleague. And rightly so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

while Rangers refused Pompey permission to talk to Alex Mcleish..

Surprised at the, would have thought they'd be kicking him out the door. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Warnock allowed to talk...linky

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Warnock allowed to talk...linky

Mike.

bad move for him i hope he stays loyal to sufc

New developments this morning, Sheffield Untied have released a statement on their website that Neil Warnock is staying put.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/4467620.stm - Story here.

Seems like it will be Alex McLeish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

would make sense as rangers are looking for a new manager as his time up there is gone unfortunately. I doubt paul le guen will go to rangers now though.I heard a rumour that real madrid were sniffing around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

New developments this morning, Sheffield Untied have released a statement on their website that Neil Warnock is staying put.

Bad news for Shef Wed in the derby game!!

bad news for wednesday and the rest of the championship as well. Cant see Le Guen going to rangers if mcleish does go to portsmouth. Surely he can get a bigger job than that at ibrox after his exploits at lyon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Big Nelly wrote:
    Bad news for Shef Wed in the derby game!!

Nah, it wouldnt be the same without Colin to slag off. Not that ill be there sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

LOL now they are reporting that Redknapp is in the frame !!!

This is better than Eastenders :D

• Advertisement

mchurl wrote:
    bad news for wednesday and the rest of the championship as well. Cant see Le Guen going to rangers if mcleish does go to portsmouth. Surely he can get a bigger job than that at ibrox after his exploits at lyon

On "Your on Sky Sports" last night they mentioned Souness going to Rangers...not sure if just speculation but I am sure 100% of Newcastle fans would be glad to see the back of him!!

Le Guen wont go near them....why leave Lyon who are a quality club and move to a club that is in decline.....I think you could see him at Juve.,....talk of Capo moving to Madrid in the summer!! Guiliami Balaga(sp) on Sky said that he wanted to move back because he feels he never finished off correctly there last time he was there.....

Big Nelly wrote:
    On "Your on Sky Sports" last night they mentioned Souness going to Rangers...not sure if just speculation but I am sure 100% of Newcastle fans would be glad to see the back of him!!

Le Guen wont go near them....why leave Lyon who are a quality club and move to a club that is in decline.....I think you could see him at Juve.,....talk of Capo moving to Madrid in the summer!! Guiliami Balaga(sp) on Sky said that he wanted to move back because he feels he never finished off correctly there last time he was there.....

Le Guen isnt with lyon anymore, houllier is the gaffer there now but i still cant see him going near the rangers job

mchurl wrote:
    Le Guen isnt with lyon anymore, houllier is the gaffer there now but i still cant see him going near the rangers job

Yeah but he left Lyon in the summer when they opffered him a contract! wanted to move to a better club! I know Houllier is with Lyon now!!

Big Nelly wrote:
    Yeah but he left Lyon in the summer when they opffered him a contract! wanted to move to a better club! I know Houllier is with Lyon now!!

sorry i thought you thought he was still with them!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

well I'm glad warnock isnt going, hes better than portsmouth and will do a lot better with Sheffield United. Glad to see he realised the same thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

on sky news now, kerr and sanchez are going to be talked to about this position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

whiskeyman wrote:
    Can't imagine Ranieri getting it after they've all just hyped up getting a British manager with pride and passion.
    Very much doubt Warnock will go for it... I'd say he'll use it as a threat to the Blades board to make his contract secure or he'll go (somewhere).
    I think Redknapp may well go for it given the chance.
    Seems like I got this spot on :D
    Why the feck didnt I put some dosh on it though....
    gimmick wrote:
    Others are saying maybe Harry Redknapp will go back, but somehow, id see myself wearing a Shels jersey before that would happen
    :v:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

whiskeyman wrote:
    Seems like I got this spot on :D
    Why the feck didnt I put some dosh on it though....
    :v:

Rofl, my pain as a Southampton fan is eased by the thought of Gimmick having to wear a Shels jersey!!!!

As for Harry, meh...

i dont even wanna talk about harry anymore:mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement