Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don't worry its only the Leaving cert.

Options
  • 28-11-2005 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭

ok,
    so work for the year and get ready for that day In June when You shall go in there and Fight.

You need to remember that you control your destiny with The Leaving Cert,
    Its up to you, on the day you need to do some study eat a good breakfast and listen to one longish song which motivates the hell out of you and walk into that exam hall with your head held high, Take your chance to shine, remember THe examiner sees your script as a script and simply that, he doesnt care if u have dossed all year or licked the teachers ass, so prove to him that you are an excellent student regardless, dont have the examiners guessing your ability or rely on them reading between the lines(except for eng essay) show them what you know and bring your points home, Put all of the study/homework/listening to teacher over the last six years to use, you can all go and do better then you have ever done before just have fate have confidence, dont fret on the day, if you mess up 1 q dont panic if the rest of your anwers or good you WILL get the mark you deserve

Good luck to class of '06

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

eh :confused:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Sandals wrote:
    listen to one longish song which motivates the hell out of you
    EYE OF THE TIGER!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭ratboy

inspiring words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

post this again the evening of june 6th!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Is the exam timetable out yet?

I still remember the day I finished my Junior Cert. 12th of June '03, 4:30pm. Never been so happy in my life

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

Funkstard wrote:
    Is the exam timetable out yet?

I still remember the day I finished my Junior Cert. 12th of June '03, 4:30pm. Never been so happy in my life
    omg 2003..that seems so long ago!

no it's not out yet but the exams are starting on wednesday 7th June 2006

Yeah very inspiring. I have a felling ill be looking back over this thread in June...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

CrimE wrote:
    Yeah very inspiring. I have a felling ill be looking back over this thread in June...

In the recycle bin?

:v:

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

This thread should be stickied!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Sarah**

hi all, cant believe all my friends have gone from here! I did my leaving last year and believe me these boards in the weeks coming up to the LC will be your saviour! everyone helps eachother! Dont stress seriously its not worth it and just enjoy 6th year it is after all the most sociable year of ur life i can gaurentee that!

Goodluck to yall!! Dont get bogged down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

I did the LC last year(got 545). Here is the advice I would give:

-If you think you might fail a subject, try and hint to the examiner you need to pass it. For example, in my Irish essay last year, I did a comhra between my parents and myself discussing my future in universtity.

-If you are capable of getting an A1 in any subject, really go for it! There is 10 points difference between getting 89% in a subject and 90%, and only 5 point intervals between the other grades.

-Analyse past exam papers thoroghly, to narrow down you're workload. They would never ask 4 male/4 female poets in English. Music questions can be predictable. Some subjects are harder to predict(like in french, they double and triple-bluff), so just learn everything in those ones:(

-In non-literary subjects(like maths, tech.drawing etc), study by actually doing the sums/drawing.

-Use mnemonics. Like to remember paragraphs in an english essay-Imagery, Beginning, Ending, Characters, Unique techniques, Plot
    =I BE CUP.(don't use that one as it's just a silly offhand example)

-Do you're best questions first, so you relax and have more time for the hard questions

-When you meet a difficult question, don't worry. This question will be hard for almost everyone, and the marking scheme and/or rest of the paper will account for this.

-Study when you feel like it. You won't absorb alot if you're forcing yourself to study.

-You absorb most of what you study just before you go to sleep. So perhaps watch that huge lineup of simpsons/friends/scrubs etc and then get into homework/study.

-I found English quite intensive. Do you're best to learn off quotes. In fact, if you do NOTHING else but learn quotes, you can't be that badly set. I'd reccomend at the most 100 quotes(grouped in acts and characters) for the single text, about 15 each for the comparitive texts, and an average of 1/3 of each poem you study. Also, learn a few ones from critics and famous peole. Finish with one of these quotes, or, even better, finish with an image derived from something earlier in the essay, like
    Had Newton never lived, somebody else would have inevitably(and unfortunately) invented calculus. Had Yeats never lived, we would not have his many "monuments of unaging intellect", as he describes pieces of art in Sailing to Byzantium - poems which are marvelled at today.
    Also write quotes in a different colour pen;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

IM actually really scared about the leaving cert in the junior i had a panic attack and cudnt sit 1 exam and got way to nerves in all the others so in the end i only got 4 nd 4 and im ****ing it that this will happen to me again for the leaving cert, i cant study at all properly, does anybody here actually know a good way of studying that workds?

OTliddy wrote:
    I did the LC last year(got 545). Here is the advice I would give:

-If you think you might fail a subject, try and hint to the examiner you need to pass it. For example, in my Irish essay last year, I did a comhra between my parents and myself discussing my future in universtity.

-If you are capable of getting an A1 in any subject, really go for it! There is 10 points difference between getting 89% in a subject and 90%, and only 5 point intervals between the other grades.

-Analyse past exam papers thoroghly, to narrow down you're workload. They would never ask 4 male/4 female poets in English. Music questions can be predictable. Some subjects are harder to predict(like in french, they double and triple-bluff), so just learn everything in those ones:(

-In non-literary subjects(like maths, tech.drawing etc), study by actually doing the sums/drawing.

-Use mnemonics. Like to remember paragraphs in an english essay-Imagery, Beginning, Ending, Characters, Unique techniques, Plot
    =I BE CUP.(don't use that one as it's just a silly offhand example)

-Do you're best questions first, so you relax and have more time for the hard questions

-When you meet a difficult question, don't worry. This question will be hard for almost everyone, and the marking scheme and/or rest of the paper will account for this.

-Study when you feel like it. You won't absorb alot if you're forcing yourself to study.

-You absorb most of what you study just before you go to sleep. So perhaps watch that huge lineup of simpsons/friends/scrubs etc and then get into homework/study.

-I found English quite intensive. Do you're best to learn off quotes. In fact, if you do NOTHING else but learn quotes, you can't be that badly set. I'd reccomend at the most 100 quotes(grouped in acts and characters) for the single text, about 15 each for the comparitive texts, and an average of 1/3 of each poem you study. Also, learn a few ones from critics and famous peole. Finish with one of these quotes, or, even better, finish with an image derived from something earlier in the essay, like
    Also write quotes in a different colour pen;)

Nice advice, some interesting tips. Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭roberta c

some usefull stuff there OTliddy, but surely you cant study just before you go to sleep, most people tend to be slightly sleepy before they sleep. therefore they em.. wont absorb much of anything really. also, anyone with half a brain can memorise a page or two out of the book, and it might get you an amount of marks allocated for quotes, but what the examiner is looking for is your abilty as an english litrature critic. i would say english is the one subject(well exclude maths) that learning off things just wont do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

roberta c wrote:
    surely you cant study just before you go to sleep, most people tend to be slightly sleepy before they sleep. therefore they em.. wont absorb much of anything really.
    It's an experimantally proven fact, you remember more if you study before you sleep.
    Study before you get too tired, then(naturally) go to sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

roberta c wrote:
    some usefull stuff there OTliddy, but surely you cant study just before you go to sleep, most people tend to be slightly sleepy before they sleep. therefore they em.. wont absorb much of anything really. also, anyone with half a brain can memorise a page or two out of the book, and it might get you an amount of marks allocated for quotes, but what the examiner is looking for is your abilty as an english litrature critic. i would say english is the one subject(well exclude maths) that learning off things just wont do

Since most memory consolidation happens during sleep, anything you read right before bed is more likely to be encoded as long-term memory.

Advertisement