Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ask a question

Options
  • 28-11-2005 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭

Ask a question on any subject and we will do our best to help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

No questions right now, but thanks a million for the offer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

why oh why is there so much to learn on the honours irish course?!? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

because baby jesus LOVES irish...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I'm close to being fluent at Irish when speaking, but I'm absolutely screwed for the written exam. The Irish syllabus is some sham; it's like something from the 50's. On what other course in any subject is the history of a poet any fcuking use to anyone? I don't give a bollocks where she grew up or went to college. Feck sake!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

Funkstard wrote:
    I'm close to being fluent at Irish when speaking, but I'm absolutely screwed for the written exam. The Irish syllabus is some sham; it's like something from the 50's. On what other course in any subject is the history of a poet any fcuking use to anyone? I don't give a bollocks where she grew up or went to college. Feck sake!!
    whoa...i'm the total opposite to you! i can't speak it for sh*t but i can write it no bother!!

i wish they took the poems, pros and history off the course!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Absolutely. The sooner they stop treating it as a modern language the better. At this stage I'm grammatically better at French than Irish, and considering the fact that I've been learning Irish since I started school, it's absolutely ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Funkstard wrote:
    My thoughts exactly. I like Irish but the syllabus is fcuking crap. Thats just my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

Please stay on topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭ratboy

are you the fairy godfather of leaving cert students

No, that woul dbe silly, I'm his stand-in.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Personally I really liked Stair na Gaeilge. But then again, I like history, and our teacher didn't bother doing the poet biographies with us cos she figured they were boring. Yay for Bardscoileanna!

Fishie wrote:
    Personally I really liked Stair na Gaeilge. But then again, I like history, and our teacher didn't bother doing the poet biographies with us cos she figured they were boring. Yay for Bardscoileanna!

This thread is not about the subject of Irish.
    Take your nonsense else-where.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

sandals you come in hear invading our territory. I'll have you know we are a closely knit community. A family one might say... hmm...

But see Google will answer any question.

Thanks, but no thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Again, another thread going OT.

I suppose i can give it a chance though. If you have a question, ask here (although google will answer it for you), otherwise im locking it.

Does this signature make my butt look big?

Seriously though, How highly would you rate the importance of the mocks? Waste of time, crucial estimate of ability, good chance to see how time works?

Raphael wrote:
    Does this signature make my butt look big?

Seriously though, How highly would you rate the importance of the mocks? Waste of time, crucial estimate of ability, good chance to see how time works?

At face value they are worth very little,

It really is
    (and I know this sounds pathetic) what you make of them.

Personally I think they are best approached as a good preperation, i would reccommend however that rather then trying to learn everything for them to learn obviousely as much as you can but certainly to concentrate on knowing the major aspects of the course as well as you ever will, and then fine tuning on the other stuff later,
    Its good to be able to go in to biology for example knowing that you know all the major chapters eg, respiration,photosynthesis,enzymes etc. really well and then doing well in them once you are able to learn the rest afterwards,
    rather then try to cover everything in a panic and end up knowing something about everything but only a lot about a little.

My mistake in the mocks was getting to over-confident however with my results, and also watching too much lost afterwards, (watched the whole series before the leaving)

i got 490 in mocks and got 510 in leaving.

but there were some discrepacies eg. I got 60 percent in english in the pre and an A1 in leaving so don't worry too much if a pre result seems a little iffy.

Cool, thanks

Advertisement