Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What Car 10-20k ?

Options
  • 28-11-2005 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Hello,
    Need help, not a car person. Want to get a good car for between 10 and 20k. Mainly for driving to work in ... so will be spendin a LOT of time in it in this horrible city :)

In Dublin... I'm stereotypical so I like the Golf/A3... Any other options.

Part of me really likes the lexus IS200 and have been looking at some for around the 16k mark on carzon,autotrader,cbg etc... but obviously at '00 '01 models

Help !

Have to get this sorted by end Jan next year....

Is it better to wait to buy until the new year when psychologically '05 cars become 'last years model' ?????

Cheerz
    -A

p.s. what is a lot of miles per year etc... see some diesel cars with 74,000 miles only a year old etc... obviously thats a lot but anyone got a scale say of how much is too much for '00 '01 '02 etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

Hi

In terms of mileage, I would suggest that 10-12 per annum is average. Anything over 20 a year is high mileage in my book - the key is really what kind of mileage are you going to do and how well will the car handle the mileage. In general diesels hold up much better to high mileage, as do larger engined cars. (if you're only going to do 5k a year, buying a two year old car with 40k isn't going to be a problem - after two years with you it's a four year old car with 50k!)

The problem with a Golf/A3 is making sure you get a Mark IV car (current) rather than a Mark III golf which isn't anywhere near as good. (Oh yeah, and if you every want to overtake anything avoid the 1.4 petrol like the plague!)

If you fancy a Lexus, and can afford one why not! It's a Toyota under the hood and hence likely to go forever.... This one looks nice....

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=320822

Paddy

Advertisement