Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need for Speed most wanted [rant]

Options
  • 28-11-2005 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Ea can do nothing right...dumbasses.

Got this over the weekend for PC and and a loan of it on PS2 so playing the PS2 version for a while and at first it was like they actually tried to make old really really good ones again in a new skin then.......

Why the hell is it in the recent NFS games you dont need to turn the corner just smack off the wall and bounce around it, you should be punished for crashing not rewarding stupid drivers and not slowing them down at all. Damn annoying when you take a corner at 90 and hit the wall and come out at 90!!!! Punish me so i know not to do it again or i actually give a **** about racing linea and taking it at full tilt......

Sticking with the last 2 abombinations of driving games i thought i could forgive that and maybe it would be a decent game as the driving parts are actually alright when you dont crash. Then i got my 1st pursuit and thought ohhh... this is good..... until i shunted a copper and spun him so he was facing backwards. he then spun 180 without the car moving forwards and gave chase ....What the hell is up with that. They dont reverse or need to adjust its like Dinky God just turns them and faces them in the direction of you. So trying to buy time to escape is redundant as shunting them is fairly useless. Unless you can add in another car or 3.

The indestructable car is another annoyance.
    Its really annoying that 2 things can ruin what can actually be a good fun driving game, the whole pimp my Punto doesnt appeal to me so its just a driving game i was interested in.

Heres hoping NFSMW3/67 is better.

/Hint if you have a NFSU save game on your memory card the game gives you 40k to buy your 1st car.

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I don't see why you are ranting, as soon as NFS went "underground" it went shit and it looks like its staying that way. You should of know what you were in for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Tman said it was good like the old ones, im blaming him.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

KdjaC wrote:
    Ea can do nothing right...dumbasses.

Sure they can... they release the same games over and over again, year in, year out and people keep on buying them by the truckload.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Ciaran500 wrote:
    I don't see why you are ranting, as soon as NFS went "underground" it went shit and it looks like its staying that way. You should of know what you were in for.

I disagree, I think it was quite fun. But then again I am still in my Fast & Furious state of mind..tempted to sell my computer just to buy a Skyline. Damn films.

Anyway, the first NFSU was pretty alright (at least the competition gave you some form of actual competition), the second was pretty average, only slightly better due to the freedom of driving around the place (but the competition was terrible, even on the hardest setting the opponents seemed to be miles behind in the tuning section).

I'm going to end up picking this up mainly because there's tuned cars in it. :(
    *Sigh* I'm nearly dreading what I'm going to sell once I get my licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Hot pursuit series was good, racing proper benz with a proper bmw.
    regardless i think underground brought up a whole new idea/concept [fast and furious style] , MAYBE the racing wasnt realistic but moding your own car was alot of fun, i didnt get NFS:U2 so not sure about that one.
    I got the demo for most wanted, PC Version, cars are much bigger, modding is still there, graphics are much better and the cop chase is fun in away, maybe tehnically not accurate but its not GT4. i think its decent fun.
    Burnout series on PC would be amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭excaliburhc

have to say this is the best of the underground series i have played , Cars have weight ,the slow motion effect is class , game is fast , the cop chases are a ball , the indestructibility of the car can be somewhat annoying but there are some neat effects like the paint getting scrapped and the windows breaking ,
    modding features have been improved as has the overall selction of cars , i have played the realistic sims --> gtr take a bow , and they just annoy me , but i know i will keep coming back to this , this game is fun and that is alll that is important to me

god bless ea and their neverending lines of updated games ;P
    oh and Josie maran is stunning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

KdjaC wrote:
    Tman said it was good like the old ones, im blaming him.

kdjac
    just closed the wrong tab and lost a ****ing massive post, so i'll keep this short and sweet...

first of all. this is an arcadey racing game, not the racing sim you seem to want it to be.
    memorising every pitch and bend in the road is all fine and dandy if you've got a limited number of circuits to drive on. nfs has a crazy ammount of variation in the courses, this game isn't about getting to know each and every one of them by heart. it's about pointing your car forward, hitting the gas and hoping that you cross the finish line first.
    having the car come to a jarring hault everytime you crash would make it unneccesarily frustrating

collision detection is still ropey, police AI is unfair (as you've stated) and the lack of damage can be annoying for some (doesn't bother me tbh. at least it has visual damage...)

but at the end of the day, this game is fun and i stick by my recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

imagina driving game with nfsu' s customization & burnouts crashes

that i would buy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

You should play Gran Turismo if you want to be made pay for mistakes, not an arcade game. NFS games are the kind you sit down and just play, its accessible to most, and doesnt take years to master. Gran Turismo does take some skill and is a game which opens up when you have practiced a bit. Decide which you want!!

A game should be taken and criticised (sp?) in the context in which it was created.

I liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

NFS has a different feel than other racing games. If you want to crash cars I don't see why you're not playing burnout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

yes but i want a game with the customization of nfsu but with the crash ability of burnout 2 (best of the series)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭feckidyparp

Best Of The Series?!?!? God Damn It!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

who would ever need to buy that when you have burnout?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

is burnout on the pc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Yeah I won many a race in NFSU2 by nitro-boosting into curved corners and wall-scraping my way through... it's way better than actually slowing down for the turns, especially if you're heading into them at max speed :rolleyes: :)

Having said that, I did enjoy the more technical driving needed in Toca Race Driver... but I'm willing to accept NFS just isn't that kind of game, and enjoy it for what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

kaimera wrote:
    is burnout on the pc?
    Question 2: Is Gran Tourismo on the PC? (haven't seen it around :()

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, now that was a game that blew me away. I think its about 5-6 years old or so now, and i still play it the odd time as the spec of my crappy laptop is good enough for it to run in work.

The cars were great in terms of there real life detail and the pursuit mode worked well as ethier cop or speeder. While i liked the first NFS:UG's racing ability, UG 2 didn't float my boat. I was hoping that the latest release would have reignited my interest, but maybe not going by the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I don't think anyone wants this series turned into GT but to just reward good driving and punish driving into walls at 200mph. There is no skill in the game and just uses cheating AI to challenge the player, no matter how well you drive, how much you boost and how much they crash they are always up your hole ready to steal the lead at the slightest player slipup. And I really can't see how chaving your car can save this "racing" game at all. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

enjoying MostWanted atm.

aside from the career intro where I just wanted to bypass the niceties and story :)
    better than the UG duet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've been playing the Need For Speed series since the original on the 3do, which I still play, and slowly but surely they have eroded away the core purpose of the game, to allow folk to drive hot, exotic cars on the open road, with nothing but traffic, cops and another driver like yourself as competition.
    The PS1 version made the experience more arcady by introducing tracks to lap around and packs of racers to compete with, Need For Speed 2 was an abomination, the worst of the series by far, Need For Speed 3 was wonderful, but overshadowed by the soon to be launched Gran turismo. Need for Speed 4 was very very good, the best since the original, nice damage to your vehicles and localised police forces, Nedd for Speed porsche challenge was great on the PC but suffered on the consoles and then the 1st one on the PS2 Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2 was really really good, only the bouncing off of walls with no apparent effect apart from cosmetic damage to your bodywork disappointed. The Xbox version was abysmal though, they farmed out the conversion and made a dogs dinner of it. The underground games have so little in common with the original of the species that I wouldn't include them in the lineage at all, really arcade racers, not very inspiring, I had high hopes for the 360 one but looks like I am to be disapponted yet again, more car modding crap, thank the gods I can buy PGR3.

As a side note, the Need Fior Speed franchise was born of the same team that produced the Test Drive series on the Amiga, and there is an update of that coming to the 360 in the new year, hopefully bringing us a flavour at least of what this racing sub-genre is all about, racing automotive exotica really fast on the open road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Yea I remember loving the first one, it went into such fine detail about each of it's supercars, with photos and a little video and statistics to match Gran Turismo. I'm not sure how good the driving model was to be honest, I loved it at the time but it was one of the very first 3d racing games I played so it was hard to judge. The series has had a lot of ups and downs but I do think the new one seems to be righting some wrongs.

Personally I think they should get criterion to work on the need for speed games, it makes perfect sense to me but then again it's probably better for EA to have 2 top selling racing games each year.

Advertisement