Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

delayed shock reaction (i think)

• 28-11-2005 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭

i know that people always joke about delayed shock reaction and how it effects them and everything, but is there actually such a thing?

i had a pretty sh1t year last year, failed college, someone very close to me died, lost a few good friends because i wouldnt let them in to "help" because i didn't think i needed it. (And lots of other stuff but people in real life know me and they just don't need to know some of it!) But i took it all in my stride, i was fine, it didnt show at all on me and i was always happy and everything, even though i probably shouldn't have been.

but this year, back in college and i haven't slept since i went back. and i didn't sleep very much in the summer. when i say not sleeping, i might be getting one or two decent nights sleep a week and thats it. the rest i'll sleep maybe 2 hours if i'm lucky. and i'm incredibly stressed.

so what i'm wondering, could all that crap from last year be affecting me now? and causing my lack of sleep, general wellbeing and the ability to have a conversation without one minute wanting to hit someone, then cry, then laugh?

sorry if this doesn't make much sense, but 10 weeks is a long time to go without sleep...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Sounds like you may need to talk to a professional. Have a chat with your University Counsellor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

yeah I think if you go and talk to the student doctor even, explain how you are feeling and that you are having problems sleeping. They'll be able to point you in the right direction.

I do think though that the more you are aware of having a sleep problem, the harder it is to go to sleep. And stress is something that can be a major result of sleep deprivation. When we are tired, it is so much harder to deal with even simple situations. I guess you feel that you bottled things up last year and now they're trying to come out. Well.. best thing is to let them out, talk to someone, write things down. Maybe go about apologising to the friends you lost, and explaining how you feel/felt.
    Good luck,
    Cork_girl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

i would go with dave on that one - he/she will be able to tell you for definate if it is or not but it can happen. also you could just have let it all get on top of you (that happens to us all to different degrees). go talk to someone about all that has happened and it hopefully will help in the long run.

i would be like you - smiling even if things are going bad and it does catch up with you and i always needed someone to let it out to if it did build up. talk to anyone who you feel can help. even if you tell one person one thing it will help cause then you will feel able to open up about that problem to more people and then you will get through it

good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sorry only saw this now.
    rugbug86 wrote:
    but this year, back in college and i haven't slept since i went back. and i didn't sleep very much in the summer. when i say not sleeping, i might be getting one or two decent nights sleep a week and thats it. the rest i'll sleep maybe 2 hours if i'm lucky. and i'm incredibly stressed.
    Try to get a little exercise, but most certainly go see a doctor. You should get 5 good nights sleep a week - the weekend is the weekend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Get some Velerian Root in any health shop and loads of fresh air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

the delayed shock thing is definately real-when stuff happens you can almost feel like your a bad person because it didnt affect you like you thought it 'should'. it can take days to weeks to months for it to hit you and its not always obvious when it does... talking to someone professional openly is probably the best option but doesnt work for everyone, a close friend can be just as good

Advertisement