Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

primetime anti-social behaviour-what's to be done

Options
  • 28-11-2005 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭

I don't like the idea of putting the boot into under-privileged youth, but the strongest critics of that argument come from the same backgrounds. The view is that "I had the same background but I chose to do right, not wrong".

What do you do about teens who threaten people and run riot putting windows in, burning out cars and even houses?

And what about the accountability of their parents?

When I put myself in the shoes of targets I find myself reconsidering ASBO's and radio tags, as well as the plan for a Garda Reserve.

Also, how do we correct the perception in the minds of these offenders of the paths they can choose in life?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

democrates wrote:
    I don't like the idea of putting the boot into under-privileged youth, but the strongest critics of that argument come from the same backgrounds. The view is that "I had the same background but I chose to do right, not wrong".

What do you do about teens who threaten people and run riot putting windows in, burning out cars and even houses?

And what about the accountability of their parents?

When I put myself in the shoes of targets I find myself reconsidering ASBO's and radio tags, as well as the plan for a Garda Reserve.

Also, how do we correct the perception in the minds of these offenders of the paths they can choose in life?

One thing is to get rid of the reactionry government we currently have now cause I think they will exacerbate the problem as time goes on(urban sprawl and all that lark).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

some of it looked pretty rough. Ireland seems to be decending to the same low level as brixton in parts.

If ASBOs work then defintely introduce them. We need a massive garda reserve who can interact with local communites and figure out who is causing the problems. We need more facilities for kids to keep them off the streets and better rehabilitation for repeat offenders.

We dont want to end up with suburbs like in Paris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

This is not a recent thing, its been happening for last 20 odd years, its just getting more common and yes i did grow up in one of those estates and i did turn out ok :)
    Families whose kids run riot should have severe financial penalties and should be threatened to be evicted from their local authority house and out on the street.
    Hurt them in the pocket, this along with a police force and judicial system which enforces the law would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

democrates wrote:

You don't look for a short-term "solution".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

More police on the streets, and make the courts stricter when dealing with these people. It's ridiculous having someone being arrested for crimes in the double figures and not getting sent to jail. Everyone's entitled to a mistake, sometimes we do it again -- the third time, that's a joke, they need to be off the street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Exactly bonkey, anti-social behaviour is a complex problem in our society that knee-jerk gimmicks are not going to fix. The whole fabric of our society needs to be re-examined and reformed, the police also need drastic and radical change in the way they are trained and in the way they operate. ASBOs and curfews etc will simply further alienate youths from society, simply packing them into St Pat's or Clonmel will also result in them coming out a lot more disturbed and vicious than they went in. Community restorative justice needs to be the touchstone for all action taken against anti-social behaviour, with an aim placed upon reintroducing the youth to the community as opposed to pushing him/her away even further, lessons can be learned from the CRJ project in the 6 Counties.

The planning of housing estates needs to be addressed, for decades we have seen poor quality housing thrown up in close proximity and with absolutely no services within the area, over the years these areas become dilapidated and depressed and this undoubtedly leads to an increase in ASB. The issue of drink is also a prominent one, and licenses should be denied to off-licenses in residential areas. Likewise, all offies should by law have to stamp their name and address on every can or flagon they sell so the offending alcohol litter left behind can be traced back.

Policing needs to be responsive and equipped to deal with ASB, Templemore should be scrapped and policing should become a university course so that cadets have experience in an urban environment. Police should also be from the areas in which they operate, how can someone from rural Kerry or Longford possible understand areas like Coolock or Mahon? The cops are already viewed as an outside force in many deprived areas, often due to their own prejudices, intimidating behaviour and complete apathy. This could be eradicated by having policing boards in the south (as outlined in the Patten reforms) as well as community forums to give people a voice on how they are policed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭ishmael whale

FTA69 wrote:
    Policing needs to be responsive and equipped to deal with ASB, Templemore should be scrapped and policing should become a university course so that cadets have experience in an urban environment.
    Absolutely. Its essential to take Garda training from its isolation in Templemore to a city location that can actually provide the necessary support environment for such an important task.
    FTA69 wrote:
    Police should also be from the areas in which they operate, how can someone from rural Kerry or Longford possible understand areas like Coolock or Mahon? The cops are already viewed as an outside force in many deprived areas, often due to their own prejudices, intimidating behaviour and complete apathy.
    Indeed. The recent removal of the Irish requirement should help this process. One of the negative consequences of the language bar was the way it limited the pool from which the Gardai drew its membership.

Personally Irish in the police is of little concern to me, on another note though, the Irish curriculum should be reformed completely to put an emphasis on oral proficiency. The proficiency of people in Irish would then rise and would probably become less of an issue.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I had a little taste of this type of behaviour while living near ballyfermot, from 10 to 14 year olds. How is it possible that kids of that age can scare you? Throwing stones, glass bottles, setting fire to rubbish bins, getting drunk. I lost the rag with them one night, I was told that if I laid a hand on them their dad would have me up in court :/
    These kids would be out on the streets anywhere up to midnight. Their parents need to be held accountable, though what parent in their right mind lets kids of that age out till that time of night?
    It’s a catch 22 situation and the answer to it will not be an easy one. But when I was a kid I know I would have been practically killed if I were to behave like this, they have no fear of any type of retribution, that seems to be the problem, how to fix it though....

Probably because their parent(s) are apathetic alcoholics/drug addicts who create a home where misery, depression and domestic violence warp a child to that point. The prevalence of unaddressed mental health issues, both in the youth and in the home is also of importance in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Uthur

FTA69 wrote:
    Probably because their parent(s) are apathetic alcoholics/drug addicts who create a home where misery, depression and domestic violence warp a child to that point. The prevalence of unaddressed mental health issues, both in the youth and in the home is also of importance in my opinion.

You said the cleverest thing! Your prize is in the mail :D

It is true. I've lived on the Nortside for decades. The kids who go off the rails always have ARSEHOLES for parents. The kids with responsible, caring parents who actually give a sh1t, turn out ok 99.9% of the time.

Uthur wrote:
    It is true. I've lived on the Nortside for decades. The kids who go off the rails always have ARSEHOLES for parents. The kids with responsible, caring parents who actually give a sh1t, turn out ok 99.9% of the time.

You don't this is a cop out?

Look, while a large percentage of the trouble does come from families with troubled histories, like drug or alcohol abuse, how do you explain the growing number of kids from middle & richer families that are involving themselves in this type of life.

I must admit that while I'd seen the growing number of kids on the streets, I hadn't made the connection with the trouble thats been brewing for years. The problem is that there is no discipline, and no responsibility by anyone.

Children these days aren't disciplined. Schools can't hit children for misbehaving, nor can parents really do so in public. Therefore the method we all learnt, that if we did something wrong has been removed. There is no incentive for kids to stick to the "normal" path, but rather because they can't be touched they're above the law, and they know it. What can the Law do them? Beyond a warning, perhaps returning the kid to the parents, the Law is pretty much neutralised, because kids cannot be tried under Adult laws.

Added to this is the lack of responsibility of parents across the board. This includes parents of all classes. When i was growing up, it would be rare to see kids aged 13-16 out at 1 AM in large groups. Nowadays it become almost commonplace. Simply, parents aren't controlling their children. They're not restricting their movements, or even caring what they're doing. This lack of responsibility by many parents in Ireland is another reason why this is happening.

One more addition. Throughout Irish History we've had the Catholic church watching over us. they were in our schools, in our Parishes, and had regular dealings with parents. You may have seen priests, or Brothers catching troublesome kids, and either disciplining them or talking to their parents. Then the child molesting cases came to light and people lost respect for the Church. And while people still went to church, and prayed, the Church representatives no longer had that power in the society. And what filled that vaccum of power? The Government. With its legistlation and nanny-style handling of the country. Which has failed to work.

The problem is that modern troublesome kids have more rights than normal law abiding people.

---

Just in regards to people mentioning the lack of facilities, what facilities did YOU have when you were their ages? When I was their age there was a cinema (3-4 miles away) and a swimming pool. Thats it. Apart from that there was access to school football pitches and the usual hurling areas.

So why do modern kids need better facilities? What benefit does it actually do for them? because in many areas where playgrounds or such facilities have been built, they've been burnt or vandalised. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

Im getting tired of listening to people preaching about something bigger needing to be done about anti social behaviour. What needs to be done needs to be done now not after they figure out who is to blame etc.

Let those people against asbos spend a night in one of these areas and talk to the little ****s and their parents about why they are throwing rocks through an old womans window. I bet these riteous campaigners they would be in fear of their lives if they had to stay in the old ladys house alone.

My aunt has had to move 3 times because the little pricks find out where she moved to, steal cars and terrorize her there. Why? because she gave out to a bunch of 10 year old 3 years ago for smashing the window of a neighbours car. Now every time she is re housed they appear within weeks. I have gone to their parents and left in fear of my life after the parents threatened me with acid in the face, baseball bats etc if i ever came back. The cops just shrug and say 'nothing we can do'.

All well and good for the anti asbo people living in their nice quiet neighbourhoods while 80 year old women are terrorized every single night. That is what needs to change, however we do it. Its just not on for old women to spend their last days in fear of looking out their windows.

So talk all you want but until one of these politicians tells me that they have gone on their own at 11 at night to spend a few hours in a troubled area i have zero respect for their opinion. They wouldnt last 5 minutes.

Prime time wasnt filmed in a studio, what they showed happens every night to people, so open your eyes and helpthe people that deserve it.

Let those people against asbos spend a night in one of these areas and talk to the little ****s

As someone who grew up in "one of those areas" I can speak with authority, as an 18 year old who comes into contact with these people very often I can probably speak with more authority on the subject than you can, so please do not attempt to portray everyone against ASBOs as some sort of middle class ponce.
    The cops just shrug and say 'nothing we can do'.

And I suppose you nodded and swallowed their bullsh*t about how their "hands are tied", "no resources" and other assorted crap. If the police refuse to take action against crime in these areas what makes you think they will enforce ASBOs, a gimmick peace of paper? Why don't they simply act on the existing legislation (which is quite extensive) and arrest those involved? My theory is that since none of them are actually from these areas, or similar areas, or that because there is no community forums to advise on the issue, they simply couldn't care less.
    All well and good for the anti asbo people living in their nice quiet neighbourhoods

More generalisations.
    So talk all you want but until one of these politicians tells me that they have gone on their own at 11 at night to spend a few hours in a troubled area i have zero respect for their opinion.

Nearly every Sinn Féin councillor in Dublin is from and lives in these areas that are worst afflicted eg Ballymun, Cabra, Artane, Coolock, Ballyfermot, Crumlin etc etc etc, however you don't see them championing legislation that will simply make it an imprisonable offense to breach an ASBO which has no foundation on proof, or whether the action in question is illegal or not. ASB is more a complex a problem than can be fixed with attractive gimmicks that will do little to address the problem.

FTA69 wrote:
    As someone who grew up in "one of those areas" I can speak with authority, as an 18 year old who comes into contact with these people very often I can probably speak with more authority on the subject than you can, so please do not attempt to portray everyone against ASBOs as some sort of middle class ponce.

So did i grow up in 'these areas', and my brothers, sisters and parents still live there, so stop with your own generalizations. I am home regularily and no exactly what is going on.
    FTA69 wrote:
    And I suppose you nodded and swallowed their bullsh*t about how their "hands are tied", "no resources" and other assorted crap. If the police refuse to take action against crime in these areas what makes you think they will enforce ASBOs, a gimmick peace of paper? Why don't they simply act on the existing legislation (which is quite extensive) and arrest those involved? My theory is that since none of them are actually from these areas, or similar areas, or that because there is no community forums to advise on the issue, they simply couldn't care less.

What do you suggest i do, hit them? Umlike you, i believe the police do care, but their hands are indeed tied.
    FTA69 wrote:
    Nearly every Sinn Féin councillor in Dublin is from and lives in these areas that are worst afflicted eg Ballymun, Cabra, Artane, Coolock, Ballyfermot, Crumlin etc etc etc, however you don't see them championing legislation that will simply make it an imprisonable offense to breach an ASBO which has no foundation on proof, or whether the action in question is illegal or not. ASB is more a complex a problem than can be fixed with attractive gimmicks that will do little to address the problem.

Oh i wonder why?
    Why would SF want to destroy the IRA rectuiting grounds and bring some law into an area that provides enough underage bodies to do their dirty work for them. God forbid these 'Kids' get arrested and are no longer able to help the cause.

Some more experience i can add for you. My uncle is one of the SF prats. They send out the ****s to cause trouble and then the SF prats go around and tell people to vote for them and they'll clean the place up. But will he make an attempt to hel an aunt on the opposite side of my family than his - no, because its not in his interests. You should see the tripe from SF that gets put into the letterboxes.

It looks like the only part of my post you didnt address was the the part about doing something for the old women living in terror besides talking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

what i would like to know is... is this anti social behaviour possible to stop or do we live in a country where this kind of behaviour is here to stay and will get far worse in future ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Maskhadov wrote:
    what i would like to know is... is this anti social behaviour possible to stop or do we live in a country where this kind of behaviour is here to stay and will get far worse in future ?

It's here to stay. Sure that's what happens when ya build hundreds of little grey houses and say "move here everyone"

Maskhadov wrote:

I'm sure its like crime in general. It may be impossible to stop, but we should be doing everything possible to stop it all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

I say, bring back The Cat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭homerjay540

i was watching a program on brittish tv reciently which looked at asbo's from both sides - they had victams of violence and people who had asbo's issued to them. the impression i got from that program is that somebody can be given an asbo and before they get a chance to defend themselves or declare their innocence, if they breach the asbo they can be sent straight to jail - without being able to defend themselves. even if at a later date a judge feels that the asbo was initially unjust, the offender must still complete the prison sentence.
    it was to do with cases fast tracked because of violence in the initial offence.
    is this correct?

• Advertisement

Maskhadov wrote:

Its here to stay as long as the government continues half measures and we continue to give these people more rights than they deserve. Lets face it, in most cases the people involved could be reformed if pushed hard enough.

A friend of mine has a great suggestion. Have any of you watched that show "Brat Camp" on E4? Just a larger size and more organised.

Three strike rule on kids. On 3rd strike, they're sent to a college built exclusively for these troublemakers. A strict regime of physical exercise, education and psychological testing for the period of a year. Those that respond to the course would be allowed to visit parents on weekends, those that didn't respond, wouldn't be allowed back until they reformed. Its kind of hard to be angry all the time if you're exhausted both mentally and physically. An environment with discipline and people that understand without being weak, would change most of these people into valuable members of society.

While the kids are at the college, the parents are taught how to be parents. If they refuse to attend or fail to make an effort, the children are taken away from them for good. You do after all have to protect the kids from their parents.

But then this could never happen, because every human rights group would be up in arms, forgetting the reasons why these people would be sent there in the first place. :rolleyes: Also the government would take 9 years, and probably 50% overbudget to build the place. And then they'd staff it with idiots that have no backbone, or the other extreme, of being unable to understand the kids.

No. Things will get worse, and you'll find the middle class and upper classes moving into the countryside, restricting who can live nearby. The lower earners will live on the suburbs of the cities, and the city centres will be ultra rich with hotels and apartments. Lovely. :rolleyes:

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

the impression i got from that program is that somebody can be given an asbo and before they get a chance to defend themselves or declare their innocence, if they breach the asbo they can be sent straight to jail - without being able to defend themselves.
    What's considered a breach of an ASBO? I'm not that au fait with the concept.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

So what actually has changed in the last 20 years or so then?

Why has this suddenly become an issue that didn't exist way back when, or is it simply a matter of a problem that has long existed only now becoming one more commonly perceived?

My younger brother is one of those middle-class types who's falling onto what I consider the wrong side. He claims I (and my dad) are not in touch with the modern realities of acceptable culture. (And it goes way beyond questionable fashion sense.)

Hmm.

NTM

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

My younger brother is one of those middle-class types who's falling onto what I consider the wrong side. He claims I (and my dad) are not in touch with the modern realities of acceptable culture.
    Throw a brick through his window while he sleeps, and burn his car (or something equivalently valuable to him, if he doesn't have one).

Then ask him how "acceptable" it is.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

oscarBravo wrote:
    Throw a brick through his window while he sleeps, and burn his car (or something equivalently valuable to him, if he doesn't have one).

Then ask him how "acceptable" it is.

Hmm.. fortunately, he's drawing the lines right now at destroying his own life, he's not done anything that I know of that caused physical damage to others.

NTM

So what actually has changed in the last 20 years or so then?

Why has this suddenly become an issue that didn't exist way back when, or is it simply a matter of a problem that has long existed only now becoming one more commonly perceived?

My younger brother is one of those middle-class types who's falling onto what I consider the wrong side. He claims I (and my dad) are not in touch with the modern realities of acceptable culture. (And it goes way beyond questionable fashion sense.)

Hmm.

NTM

Its always been happening where i lived, but i think the offenders are starting younger now than they were in my youth. They are also more aware of the law now as in what they can and cant get away with so will push the limits out.

I'd like to know where the parents are or do they know how to parent at all.

I know if my Dad (God be good to him RIP) ever caught me at what these rogues are at, he would have tanned my backside.

And we didnt grow up in any kind of privileged background either, scraping pennies together came from hard work.

Earthman wrote:
    I'd like to know where the parents are or do they know how to parent at all.

I know if my Dad (God be good to him RIP) ever caught me at what these rogues are at, he would have tanned my backside.

And we didnt grow up in any kind of privileged background either, scraping pennies together came from hard work.

Parents dont give a ****. In fact some of my mates parents used to pat them on the back for giving people grief. Also once a kid gets into a certain amount of trouble the parents give up on them. The parents should be made responsible for their childrens actions. In fairness some parents cant control and are even scared of their kids though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

On 3rd strike, they're sent to a college built exclusively for these troublemakers. A strict regime of physical exercise, education and psychological testing for the period of a year. Those that respond to the course would be allowed to visit parents on weekends, those that didn't respond, wouldn't be allowed back until they reformed. Its kind of hard to be angry all the time if you're exhausted both mentally and physically. An environment with discipline and people that understand without being weak, would change most of these people into valuable members of society.

Because it worked so well at industrial / borstal / reform schools in the past?

• Advertisement

Dealing with the causes > Institutionalising 10 year olds

Advertisement