Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zed FM/Scrollside Supreme Court appeal to Phantom FM licence heard - FEBRUARY 17

Options
  • 29-11-2005 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Just a quick message to let you all know that Zed FM/Scrollside have lodged papers seeking to appeal to the Supreme Court the decision of the High Court to uphold the awarding of the Alternative Rock radio licence to Phantom FM.

These appeal was sought today, the last available day for such an appeal to be lodged.

Obviously we are dissapointed at the continuing actions of Zed FM/Scrollside and will be issuing a further statement in the coming days. We will of course keep everyone posted on www.phantomfm.com when we get further details.

Regards,

Pete Reed
    reed@phantomfm.com
    www.phantomfm.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭ThatBloke

Booooooooooooooooooooo. You'd think they'd give up the ghost after all this time. They're just trying to sweat you out loads, hold on in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭dera

oh come ON! :(:(:(

doesnt that mean they think the high court judge erred on a point of law?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I was never a big fan of Hot Press or Bob Geldof, but this has cemented my opinion!

Is this just to wind you up? I mean, if they lose their appeal they'll have to pay legal costs too, so it won't cost you a penny, just time, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

Couldn't they find something better to waste their money on?
    I mean really.... supreme courts? Jesus give up will ye? :rolleyes:
    Good luck phantom...
    hope you can still ramble on and do your bit while they fart into the wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

Oh for the love of God Almighty.

When will this nightmare END?

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

If it hasn't been thought up already..... boycott Hot Press, imho.

FFS, this is ridiculous.

It wont cost Phantom a penny, as the action is between the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland and the consortium around Zed.

How long are we talking with Supreme Court cases? Not before Christmas? Six months??

Hang in there chaps, it will be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Salubri

One of the things I looked forward to about moving to Dublin was Phantom FM... I listened to Phantom for ages online from Sligo and I think it is more than worthy! What is up and why the hell is there so much hassle with Zed/Scrollside? Are they worried about the competition or are they just pains in my backside?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭butterfly

for the love of Jesus. talk about kicking a dead horse (here their own attempts being the dead horse, incase anyone is under illusions in some way..) they'll get theirs eventually..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

I knew this was going to happen. That bunch of w**k**s just can't stand the fact that there is no lollipop for them on this one and they have to keep running to the teacher. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Now repeat after me
    Zedfm are a complete shower of (insert favorite perjorative here)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Even if they were to get this decision overturned, a new competition were held and Zed FM were to win it, don't they realise that they've entirely alienated their core audience with these actions?

They couldn't possibly hope to launch successfully with all the contempt they've generated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

That's ****ing ridiculous. I can only imagine how frustrating it is for the staff of Phantom, but your moment will finally come and we'll all be waiting for you when you hit the airwaves!

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

it is costing phantom really cause they should have been on air nearly 5 months now so they'd be getting advertising revenue and have jnlr figures and the like....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Vic

I can't effin' believe it! What are they playing at? Bob Geldof was on with Ray D'arcy this morning saying that "music occupies my soul...business occupies my stomach..etc" , well his business makes me sick to mine! :mad:

Keep your chin up Phantom fm, the good guys always win in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

Jaysus, just read about this in Autamata's newsletter. I involuntarily boycotted HP ages ago. Hopefully there can't be any appeals to any EU court though Bob Gandalf would be one to do so on human rights grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

I hate Bob Geldoff. Hate, hate, hate.

I hope the Supreme Court belt ZedFM's ass into the ground.

I assume this is going to delay the Phantom launch further?

Does anyone know how long it typically takes for an appeal to the Supreme Court to be heard? Weeks, months or years?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭QM79

Why oh why oh why oh why oh why? For the love of God. This is blinking ridiculous. But we've waited this long we'll just keep on waiting. We're all still right here behind Phantom. Lets keep the heads up. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭monkey lover

ah C'mon!!!

There is no way they can win this case, they're just delaying phantom getting on the airwaves.

Our Time Will Come :)

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

This is absolutly ridiculous. Will the supreme court actually listen to this BULL??

Down with Bob, Zed and hot press

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭memaeve

Insane. They really didn't take well to losing did they? As was said, hang on in there, you have all of our support all along the way! :)
    xm

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm sorry, can you just clarify that zed fm are actually questioning a decision that has been passed twice?

You cannot be serious?

I must ask, and I could be biased as I am a big phantom fan, but do Zed fm think that any of this will increase their popularity?

I mean, lets say the decision, thats has been passed twice, was over turned, and Zed fm where granted a licence, their behaviour over recent months would hardly boost their ratings. If anything they are strengthening the loyalty of the Phantom Fm listeners.

Bad move Zed, you could have lost gracefully and reapplied in time.

Right now, my opinion of you is that:

:v: "You are nothing more that sore loosers"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

Also, the Hot Piss message board is censoring any discussion on this topic. That's to be expected I guess.

Also also, I believe that if Zed FM were able to overturn the decision, the whole application process would have to be done over again. They wouldn't just get the license.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

AND IN THIS CORNER WEIGHING IN AT 850 POUNDS- PHANTOM F'N FM

Get in the ring
    Yeah

absolutely pointless appeal and everyone with a grain of 'common' knows it.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭ergo

*cries*

I can't believe this, I only just heard the news

minor setback anyway, but damn annoying

*again shakes fist at Geldof, Stokes etc*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

JJ wrote:
    Also, the Hot Piss message board is censoring any discussion on this topic. That's to be expected I guess.

Also also, I believe that if Zed FM were able to overturn the decision, the whole application process would have to be done over again. They wouldn't just get the license.

That is correct - it would have to be readvertised and the process started all over again.

It's odd that the topic is not allowed to be discussed as the High Court Judgement is a public document and stands. The Supreme Court appeal has not even started and accepts the contents of this judgement as fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

Earthhorse wrote:
    Even if they were to get this decision overturned, a new competition were held and Zed FM were to win it, don't they realise that they've entirely alienated their core audience with these actions?

They couldn't possibly hope to launch successfully with all the contempt they've generated.

What bollox, if they Zed start broadcasting as the only an alternative music station do you think honestly think people who are into that music will stop listneing because it's not phantom? .... "Oh hears my favourite bands new song but no wait this is Zd FM not phantom TURN IT OFF...."

Still its pretty sad that we will have to wait even longer to get a full time alternative channel on the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I think the success of any alternative radio station in Ireland will be precarious at best.

The audience is small and a certain segment of it is pretty fickle so yeah I do think it would significantly impact their ability to launch successfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭scarfacemj

That's just great, why don't just accept that they're beaten! Hope it doesn't mess up your plans too much guys, I'll say a pray for ya

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

I was looking for a zedFM website to see how they justify doing this but i can't seem to find one. Anyone know why they're doing this or why they think they can win?

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

i would not lsiten to zed fm ever :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

Me neither. But i would get their number and send smelly texts messages to St. (upid) bob if he's ever dj-ing.

Advertisement