Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to refill ink cartridge on campus?

Options
  • 29-11-2005 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    Just wondering does anyone know where to refill ink cartridges on or near campus preferably cheaply?

I just bought a printer and its drinking ink!!:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

nowhere on campus. But http://www.cartridgeworld.ie/ have a place in stillorgan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

Tesco's sell refill kits. I find them great and they're super cheap, about six or seven euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭namaimo

John_C wrote:
    Tesco's sell refill kits. I find them great and they're super cheap, about six or seven euro.

Refill Kits? How do they work? As in it supplies the ink?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

I buy my 3rd party replacement ink cartridges from ink4europe.com, an irish based company. They are about 10 times cheaper than buying the official Epson ink cartridges.

Printer manufactorers sell printers at a loss (or at least for very little profit). They aim to make money on ink cartridges.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

if you mostly do black n white you should really buy a laser printer. they're very fast and quite economical.

• Advertisement

namaimo wrote:
    Refill Kits? How do they work? As in it supplies the ink?
    They're incredably low tech. You drill a hole into the top of the cartridge with a little hand drill they give you and you inject in new ink with a syringe. If you're careful you can refill a cartridge about 20 or 30 times.

The only thing to beware of is overfilling the colour cartridges because the wrong colour can spill into the neighbouring section.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I work in the ink game. I know ink seems expensive in comparison to refills... but by refilling them the cartridge is not gauranteed to work. it may not be the same stuff thats in the original cartridge and could therefore block the cartridge. Also the cartridge can leak because your piercing it ... and really feck up your printer .. if its your only option .. be careful.

GBX wrote:
    I work in the ink game. I know ink seems expensive in comparison to refills... but by refilling them the cartridge is not gauranteed to work. it may not be the same stuff thats in the original cartridge and could therefore block the cartridge. Also the cartridge can leak because your piercing it ... and really feck up your printer .. if its your only option .. be careful.
    If it blocks the cartridge, dip the print head into boiling water for about 3 seconds then dab it with a piece of loo-roll, that'll clear it.
    The way I see it you're not taking any risk of breaking the cartridge because it's already empty. In the printer I have you're not risking your printer either because the ink goes directly from the cartridge to the page. In some printers the inkhead is part of the printer, not the cartridge, but I can only speak for the one I have and I think the refill kits in Tescos are brilliant. I print the maps for the Orienteering Club and I'd often sit down for an evening and print a few hundred colour A4 maps, refilling the same cartridge 5 or 10 times and have never had any trouble.

**EDIT**
    I forgot to mention, sometimes the first quarter of a page or so comes out funny. That doesn't put out with me because one page out of a few hundred is immateral. If you only print one or two pages at a time that could be annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

now,sorry for the digging:( just wondering is the catridgeworld shop in the restaurant building no longer open?

i have run there twice but no luck :pac:could be me bad luck tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭Alkers

There is a cartridge refill shop across the road from Spar on Foster Ave. It's beside the car dealer there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ianthefox

seraphimvc wrote: »
    now,sorry for the digging:( just wondering is the catridgeworld shop in the restaurant building no longer open?

i have run there twice but no luck :pac:could be me bad luck tho...

Cartridge Green, I think it's called. It moved to somewhere in the library building or something I think. Definitely still on campus though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Cartridge Green has a desk in the Restaurant building, but they just take the cartridges from the desk over to Foster Avenue - for the sake of a 5 minute walk they'll actually refill the cartridge for you while you wait, unless they're very busy, in which case it might take about an hour. Either way, it's a lot quicker than waiting a day for the sake of a few minutes exertion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

ah thanks lad,havent heard the shop at Foster Avenue before.just to be safe(to survive the walk in these sunny days),it is at the direction of heading up the hill follow the road beside Roebuck castle?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

It's pretty much directly across the road from Spar.

Advertisement