Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing NTL - legalities ?

• 29-11-2005 12:31am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭

IIRC you can't resell your broadband, but don't EU laws allow you to share it ?

Can NTL insist on only 3 pc's on cable ?

What services are you allowed to share / get away with / how much traffic would an NTL webpage be allowed ?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

NTL can insist all they like, there is no way for them to actually know how many computers are using the contection.

I'm sure many people use more then 3 computers on NTL all the time. In my house I have 4 desktops, 1 or 2 laptops, a Tivo and a wireless PDA connected (BTW they aren't all mine, housemates). However in fairness, they aren't all actively using the connection at the same time and non of us use P2P apps.

This is increasingly going to become the norm in the future with so many devices getting net access, PC, laptop, Sony PSP, Nintendo DS, Xbox 360, PS3, the new sky HD boxes, etc.

I wouldn't worry about it, I believe NTL have this in their contract to protect themselves from people trying to run cybercafes off their connection and that is pretty fair IMO.

NTL have a cap of 40GB on their 3mb service, if you consistently go way over this, they could take action. Now I've never heard of them taking action in the past, but they could throw you off the service.

I would avoid having alll your PC's running P2P applications all day, that would be unfair use IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

IIRC you can't resell your broadband, but don't EU laws allow you to share it ?

Can NTL insist on only 3 pc's on cable ?

What services are you allowed to share / get away with / how much traffic would an NTL webpage be allowed ?

I personally would be paranoid about this. What if someone you share with is a closet paedophile or is downloading music illegaly? It's YOUR IP address.....you'll be done.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Freddie59 wrote:
    I personally would be paranoid about this. What if someone you share with is a closet paedophile or is downloading music illegaly? It's YOUR IP address.....you'll be done.:eek:

I think somewhat more than an IP address is required as proof of criminal activity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Peanut wrote:
    I think somewhat more than an IP address is required as proof of criminal activity.

Maybe so......but I for one would not be prepared to risk it.;)

Advertisement