Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do i get my 12 month old border collie to stop biting /chewing on everything

Options
  • 29-11-2005 12:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭

she chews she bite, watever she can get your teethi t wat is it with her?
    any ways of reducing or eleiminaating this problem i have with her
    thanks lads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Had the same problem with my lab-retriever when he was a pup. But he had a liking for expensive shoes!
    I dont think there's any way of stopping it, maybe just ways of controlling it. I found that big chewy bones, rubber balls, rope toys and sqeaky things would keep him occupied. For example, whenever I got him a new sqeak toy, he would spend about a week trying to tear the sqeak box out of it. Or even an old towel to chew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭thatkindofgirl

Are you sure she's getting enough excersize? Border collies need an obnoxious amount. If she's more excersized, she might not engage in that kind of nervous behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Meh. Give them squeaky ball toys. Squeak the toys (tease them, and then throw them), and they'll have fun gnawing at them.

Apart from that, I think lemon spray, or anything with an acidic tang to it, will keep the dogs away from the furniture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭feckidyparp

spraying stuff on your funiture can work but can leave stinky smells that you dont like. An old fashion yelling at while making your dog look at the chewed part can work. also a form of aversion therapy can work. For example I have seen the use of an air horn work well with dogs who jump on the table for food. Just wait until the dog is doing whatever it is you want it to stop and blow the horn. After only a few times it'll start to cop on and stop. I know this might sound cruel but since your dog doesn't understand what your saying, you need to make chewing on things unpleasant for it. a nasty blast of a fog horn will do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

How much excercise does the collie get a day? What kind of toys does the dog have to play with? How do you correct the dog when they are chewing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Oh dear, I feel for you! My dog had a taste for the house: the banisters, the plaster on the walls, the expensive rugs...

She grew out of it, but I think I also gave her lots of stuff to chew - if you leave the pup with a nice juicy beef bone (*not* on carpets) the house will smell a bit, but it will be much more satisfying to chew.

I also said "no!!!" in a fairly anguished tone when I saw her chewing anything she shouldn't, and took her away and just touched her lips and said: "No chewing there, lovey".

It seems to be a stage of life when pups' teeth are itchy and maddening and they need to get them into something.

By the way, pups also like to eat their poo sometimes; the best solution for this is to put little pieces of pineapple into their food while this stage is going on. They like the taste when it's going into them, but not after it's come out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

luckat wrote:
    By the way, pups also like to eat their poo sometimes; the best solution for this is to put little pieces of pineapple into their food while this stage is going on. They like the taste when it's going into them, but not after it's come out of them.
    Aye. Also their own sick. Another way to avoid this is to feed them ONLY[/i] from the bowl, otherwise anything on the ground that smells will be eaten. Including its own sick :(

Advertisement