Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which do you prefer? Dubs or Subs.

Options
  • 29-11-2005 3:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

Folks, I can't believe the controversial, time honoured debate has yet to be raised here: which is better, dubbed anime, or subtitled anime? :D

I've seen a few good dubs, but subs win hands down in my opinion. The script isn't usually edited by American marketing people to fit in with some bland view of what's appropriate or culturally safe.

Case in point: One Piece in Japanese is watchable fun, in English it's just painfully childish.

Spirited Away is a classic in Japanese, but is made so much less with the English edit.

What does anyone else think?

Which do you prefer, subtitled or dubbed anime? 49 votes

Subtitled ("I'm not pretentious, I'm a purist.")
    0% 0 votes
    Dubbed ("Why can't anime be adapted to my language?")
    67% 33 votes
    Both ("Hey, baby, I takes what I can gets...")
    16% 8 votes
    Neither ("Me no watch anime. Me too sofis...sopisti...Me too grown up...")
    16% 8 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Raziel

Hi psicic, yeah, I prefare subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Having watched "Full Metal Panic" (the one with big kick-ass mechs) in english and "Full Metal Panic:Fumoffu" with subs, I think, if done by the makers, it can sometimes be quite good, if its done in english. Saying that, if dubbed(post-production), it doesn't always convey the same... emotion(?) into what they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Eva24

Cowboy Bebop has the best dub out there:cool: In fact I like it better than the subs but Spikes voiceactors need to fight it out so I can choose:p
    It really depends on the company. The GITS:SAC dub is pretty good too and that's got to be the hardest one to translate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Well I prefer subs but there are loads of great dubs out there - just have to experiment a bit to find them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

All dubbed anime/film of any kind is evil!

...although i do get my giggles from the dubbed classics like devilman, wicked city etc :P only have em on vhs (eeek!) so have no other choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I prefer subs. I have no moral objections to dubs however the majority of them are quite poor. I'd definetly refuse to watch the truely awful ones that I know of, especially the culprits that completely detract from the whole experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

I don't have a problem with dubs and there are quite a few good ones.
    But while some dubs are good, the subs can sometimes be better.
    Example: Full Metal Alchemist
    The dub is watchable and enjoyable, but in my opinion the sub is far superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

If I can watch it subbed I will, if I can't it wont stop me watching the anime unless it's ridiculously bad.
    I also find it very hard to watch something dubbed after watching it subbed because it sounds too different and I just get distracted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

Case by case.

Escaflowne, Tenchi Muyo and Evangelion all have fantastic dubs, and given the choice I would watch them over the original any day. They're just far better.

Naruto, Pokemon, the .hack games and Digimon Tamers have tolerable dubs. I'd watch either dub or original, wouldn't matter at all to me, though I'd lean slightly more towards original. (not counting the Pokemon movies, which are YAY DUB)

Digimon Frontier and One Piece are destroyed by their dubs. Vomit projected on to a screen.

So it really depends. Like, as a fansubber if I was asked to sub a series where I enjoyed the dub, I'd give a flat no, because I believe in supporting good series.
    (And before I get headwrecks about fansubbing being the polar opposite of that, I currently work on Naruto manga, and I own all of it. So nyah.)

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Zen 2nd

I prefer dubs as I like to have full concentration on the show rather than reading what the hell they are saying.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Subbed apart from Hellsing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

I voted Sub as things like FMA, where they change the names in the dub, just bug me (names do not translate! They are a name!:mad: ), but there are others where I prefer dub, e.g. Neon Genesis Evangelion - too many images get strobed on screen at times to keep reading the text down the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Subbed wins hands down. Its seems far more authentic, plus you don't have to listen to annoying pretentious American accents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Kain

I do find subs better in general, but that is because as many have already stated, because theres a lot of dubs out ther that are very poor quality. Its these kinda things that can reallty ruin a show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Subtitled for sure!! Dubbing gets annoying!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Subbed apart from Hellsing.
    exact same here
    (ugh... i'm just like Tar... feel so unclean!)

i actually put off watching paranoia agent for 2 months because the dubbing felt so goddamned out of place.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭mr.noobie

i prefer dubs but it wouldnt stop me from buying something just cause its sub tough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭EOA_Mushy

Sub's all the way, dubs usualy get the story/sentiment or messege of the film completely wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 miss_cheif

Subs definetly: You always lose some good stuff in the translation with dubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Saw some of a FMA US dubbed episode the other night and gah! What horror!
    The voices just seemed wrong and I'd swear they had changed some of the dialog.
    Besides in dub it won't have the humour of the subtitle typo in one of the early episodes of "the poop people"! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Manga-paddy

It depends which I see first. I have only seen parts of the dubbed Naruto but his American voice pisses me off right away! Makes him sound like a kid! (....ok....well granted he IS a kid...But it sounds ,much better in Japanese!).
    Main character voice overs always sound like out-of-work acters over-doing it with the drama and always make the end of each episode sound very ''moral of the story'' -ish.

On the other hand.....
    .....I don't like reading while I'm trying to watch tv...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Zen 2nd

Well of the shows I've watched I have seen nothing wrong with the Dub. Plus with a show like Cowboy Bebop, the voice of Spike Spiegel is quite cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nirina

well i prefer Neither, but not agreeing with what those brackets say :D for anime i just prefer english, but sometimes japanese, with english subtitles are okies, so i voted for Subs. But i still prefer them in englihs! te he

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭munky

I'd always prefair subbed over dubbed,Cowboy Bebop has a great dub though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭RetroRainbow

-scandalized-
    Subs! O_O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

Subs, so I can shout swearwords and generally cool sounding aggressive phrases to my peers in Japanese.

Advertisement