Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

M50 Muppet

Options
  • 29-11-2005 8:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

<rant>

This morning I had the pleasure of driving along the M50 - now I am one of the few people in this country that believes that the 'overtaking' lane is for...er....overtaking. Now as it happened I was cruising along at 70 in the outside lane and came up past this guy who was sitting in the overtaking lane. Now I wasnt going to reduce my speed so kept on going, upon which I undertook the car who was in the overtaking lane. I made my way up further and came up behind another car whereupon I indicated and move back into the overtaking lane. Next thing I get a barrage of headlight flashes from the muppet who I had passed! Not one but multiple flashes. Even though I had loads of room, he seemed to take offence in my coming back into his lane...Maybe I 'invaded his space' or something. I flashed the indicators once and from the ballymount exit to past the tallaght exit, he switched his full beams on in some sort of futile attempt to annoy me.... if you are reading this dude, you need to get your headlights checked coz they are not very bright at all... Only when a car moved in between us did he switch them off....
    Just wanted to get that off my chest... Its amazing what people turn into when put behind the wheel of a car! ...and I'm no angel either...

...ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    </rant>

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Do it all the time, it's the only way to make progress on motorways here, but I never take any risks when undertaking, i'll only do it after giving the person time to pull in and when it's safe to proceed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

Sparks400 wrote:
    Do it all the time, it's the only way to make progress on motorways here, but I never take any risks when undertaking, i'll only do it after giving the person time to pull in and when it's safe to proceed.
    Agree to everything you said.....
    To the OP, that other driver seems like a complete twat....I'm sure he thought he was doin the speed limit (or close to) so nobody else could possibly overtake him. God with so many people ranting about people hogging the overtaking lane, you'd imagine that people might get the message and stop doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

[edit]Talking about coming upon people hogging the overtaking lane, not post road rage incidents.[/edit]

If this happens to me I give my full beams a flash so that the person will see me. If that doesn't work then I flick on full beams to really wake them up and generally they move over to the left.

Do ye think that's rude?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

Berkel wrote:
    <rant>
    ...... Next thing I get a barrage of headlight flashes from the muppet who I had passed! Not one but multiple flashes. ...

</rant>

this is the time when i pull the handbrake;)

it's a pain it always happens a lot on m50 and some people just love to hug the line

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

:D
    ballooba wrote:
    [edit]Talking about coming upon people hogging the overtaking lane, not post road rage incidents.[/edit]

If this happens to me I give my full beams a flash so that the person will see me. If that doesn't work then I flick on full beams to really wake them up and generally they move over to the left.

Do ye think that's rude?

No your right , people just dont know how to use roads properly . I use the M50 every day and was thinking of getting a roof mounted machine gun fitted , The headlights are no longer working on these idiots !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭sandyg

At that stage i would hit the fog light and slow right down or tip the brakes just to p*ss him off and then take off again! Hate people that hog the outside lane when the inside lane is free.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

fcuking idiot... these guys are morans its liek they're doing 70 and NOBODY is allowed overtake them. Its like they are their own private Garda.

These are the tyres of ejeets that drive in France on three lane Autoroutes, hogs the far outside lane and cant under stand why irate french ppl flash and horn them out of it when they eventually have to undertake. In France the overtaking lane is exactly that and its normally empty.

Plus should he have been doing (just under:D )100kph? 82mph????? if hes not even doing 95/100kph the guy should be kept off the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

I think it boils down to education. A lot of irish drivers are stupid and think that two lanes are for driving in and the insite lane is the fast lane! This of course is untrue as thats the overtaking lane. Its all about ignorance.

What gets me is the lads that get a bee in their bonnet when you over take them. Happened to me on Saturday on the N81. Old white charade in front with 3 lads I came up behind them doing roughly 65 and over took them. As soon as I got in front of them he drove right up my a$$. Now when I say right up, you'd be lucky to squeeze an after eight in between the two cars. Why do people do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

ballooba wrote:

Do ye think that's rude?

Flashing of lights is a polite reminder for them to move over into the space where they should be anyway in order to let other roadusers progress as they wish. It is common practice in many European countries: Germany, BeNeLux, France etc. In Italy I noticed that car drivers overtaking drive with their indicator on.

As regards undertaking, such a manouvre has been described to me as where you move from the right hand lane to the left hand lane, pass a vehicle and then return to the right hand lane.

If however, you move from the right hand lane and remain in the left hand land, making sufficient progress, while possibly slower moving cars are still in the right hand lane then I don't think you can be accused of undertaking. Or at the very least you have an excelent case for "making sufficient progress" according to many of the ROTR.

My opinion is that if there is room for an undertaking manouvre (as outlined by the OP and also by my example above) then there is room for the vehicle being undertaken in the left hand lane where they should be in the first place.

My favourite is where I approach a car (eg. on the M50) who is sitting in the overtaking lane with nobody else for miles. Quick flash of the lights and he kindly moves into the left. I pass and then he pulls back out into the overtaking lane as I move back to the left hand lane!

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

iregk wrote:
    I think it boils down to education. A lot of irish drivers are stupid and think that two lanes are for driving in and the insite lane is the fast lane! This of course is untrue as thats the overtaking lane. Its all about ignorance.

I remember years ago - well actually probably decades ago - RTE used to have 'infomercials' about driving which were shown regularly.The catch-phrase of one sticks in my mind 'If you're a boreen driver-stick to your own boreen' LOL

IIRC they used to point out the finer points of the Rules of the Road and advise seat belt use etc,I remember the front passenger seat was called 'the death seat'

We could do with some updated ones for our times

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement

If there is somebody hogging the overtaking lane...generally I move in behind them and put on my driver's side indicator to let them know that I wanna pass (a gently flash of your lights can be interpreted as road rage)...
    If they don't move over after a while...I just undertake them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

nereid wrote:
    In Italy I noticed that car drivers overtaking drive with their indicator on.

It's actually a legal requirement in France (to indicate when you're overtaking in outermost lane on a two-lane or three-lane motorway).

Undertaking? Only when I'm alone in the car, only after sitting behind the guy/gal for a good minute or so, and then drop a gear and as quickly as possible (I've had the auld "How dare you undertake me? I'll squeeze you out!" trick played to me too many times to take any chances these days).

Full beams afterwards? Fog lights (I've fitted a second bulb to the Impreza :D ) on, and then gear and clutch out, and then coast and generally be at least as much of a nuisance to the guy/gal as he/she is with their headlights. Only inexperienced fools toy with brakes/handbrakes :rolleyes:

Riding the boot of my car afterwards? Same as above, but inverted: gear+clutch out, wait til the guy/gal doesn't get the message and is inches behind, then hit the fogs smack in his/her face. Of course, if overtures to overtake me are made, weaving is always fairly satisfying...

God forbid contact (happened to me once in France, guy went as far as trying to push me :eek: ) = from aggressive/defensive driving courses I've had, instant weave aside, drop anchors, get level with car ass and play tag. I was in it for €120 of bodywork, but I'd hate to think how much the other guy ended up paying (he ditched) - I didn't stop, needless to say... :D:p

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

regarding tailgaiters, someone here before mentioned using the washer jets to create overspray and get them - seems to work and is less dangerous then creating the impression of sudden braking!

kbannon wrote:
    regarding tailgaiters, someone here before mentioned using the washer jets to create overspray and get them - seems to work and is less dangerous then creating the impression of sudden braking!
    Yeh I use that technique all the time now,.....very effective....or sometimes I use my left foot to apply the brakes but accelerate slightly to counteract the braking so the result is that I don't slow down at all, but the car behind sees my braking light and backs off...alot safer than brakin & being rear ended IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

fletch wrote:
    If there is somebody hogging the overtaking lane...generally I move in behind them and put on my driver's side indicator to let them know that I wanna pass (a gently flash of your lights can be interpreted as road rage)...
    If they don't move over after a while...I just undertake them
    I always find that typically Irish and tragic. Any flashing light or horn, it's a personal affront, despite the fact that you were dozing a second ago! :rolleyes:

blastman wrote:
    I always find that typically Irish and tragic. Any flashing light or horn, it's a personal affront, despite the fact that you were dozing a second ago! :rolleyes:
    Sorry I don't get ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

A couple of year ago I was on the M50 on my bike and it was raining quite heavily. I approached a car that was on the overtaking lane at about 60 mph and flashed briefly hoping he would move to the slow lane. Instead, he waited till I got closer and slammed the brakes. Fortunately my reflexes were in good order and I avoided crashing into him.

I was so upset with the event that I just passed him by the slow lane. I don't know what I would have done if he had stopped. That was an incredibly risky maneuver and I personally qualify it as attempted murder. Somebody who would do that should be banned from driving for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I once spoke to a guy who told me he carries a few little pieces of spark plug insulator material (broken from a used plug) which he throws out the sunroof when there is a car behind that is driving aggressively. I personally wouldn't advocate doing it but apparantly the material is very hard and it can put a crack into a window very easily just like when a stone is thrown up...

On a side note, has anyone noticed that when a car with only one working headlight is driving behind you, that one working light is bright as fú:eek:k?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The one-eyed-monster brigade usually put their high beams on all the time to compensate for the lack of visibility caused by having only the one light. Twats.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Berkel wrote:
    <rant>

This morning I had the pleasure of driving along the M50 - now I am one of the few people in this country that believes that the 'overtaking' lane is for...er....overtaking.
    ...ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    </rant>

No You are not. I hate that too .It's most annoying when get behind someone like that. Recently I saw a traffic cop on a motorbike on the M50 pulling up beside slow movers in the outside lane and directing them to move into the inside lane. Unfortunately that does not happen enough.

• Advertisement

blastman wrote:
    I always find that typically Irish and tragic. Any flashing light or horn, it's a personal affront, despite the fact that you were dozing a second ago!
    fletch wrote:
    Sorry I don't get ya?

As far as I am aware, there is nothing actually illegal or against the ROTR in using the flashlights to indicate to someone that you feel that they are in the way.

Closest thing I found was the following in the Highway Code:
    90: Flashing headlights. Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights in an attempt to intimidate other road users.

Used from a suitable distance (ie not on someones rear bumper) it is not a personal attack, it is just a polite suggestion to get out of the way and obey the rules of the road.

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

In the UK there are penelty point for flashing you lights in an aggressive manner. How they decide what is aggresive and what is not I do not know.

I use the right indicator method myself. It is largely successful and unoffensive.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

Yeah, the best approach to get people to move over on the motorways is right indicator on as you approach. It they don't move drop in behind them, leaving enough space and wait a moment. They usually get the message if they're any good. If they don't see it they probably haven't see you at all so go for the undertake.

Can't be helped, they're dawdling in the offside lane, preventing you from overtaking so you move into the near side and resume travelling at the speed limit. You find yourself slowly gaining on them, putting you near their blind spot, you already know that they are a potential hazard due to their poor observations so you absolutely floor it to get past a quickly and safely as possible. And remain in that lane until you need to over take again.

A lot of drivers do take offence to getting flashed at to move over. They’re absolute demons.

MrPudding wrote:
    In the UK there are penelty point for flashing you lights in an aggressive manner. How they decide what is aggresive and what is not I do not know.

I use the right indicator method myself. It is largely successful and unoffensive.

MrP

The only problem that I can see as far as using the right indicator is that the moron in front of you hogging the lane is going to look in their mirrors and see you with your indicator on and think "look at that muppet - he has left his indicator on"!!!

As I mainly drive on the motorbike the indicator trick does not work to well for me. Flashing the lights is only taken as offence because they realise they are in the wrong place but decide through what little their brain does, that they are morally superior to you and that you need to be taught a lesson in speed control.

Passed about 300m of cars queued in the "fast lane" in their minds on the way home. All doing 90 and if I am able to do 120, then there *is* room to drive in the "slow lane".

Nowadays "fast lanes" are for chumps, the "slow lane" is where it's at...

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

N25 Waterford to Cork road- every morning bumper to bumper in the fast lane, nobody in the slow lane, guess where I drive? :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

I remember years ago - well actually probably decades ago - RTE used to have 'infomercials' about driving which were shown regularly.The catch-phrase of one sticks in my mind 'If you're a boreen driver-stick to your own boreen' LOL

IIRC they used to point out the finer points of the Rules of the Road and advise seat belt use etc,I remember the front passenger seat was called 'the death seat'

We could do with some updated ones for our times
    100% agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

This morning I had the pleasure of driving along the M50 - now I am one of the few people in this country that believes that the 'overtaking' lane is for...er....overtaking. Now as it happened I was cruising along at 70 in the outside lane and came up past this guy who was sitting in the overtaking lane.

Was he not doing exactly the same as you i.e using the 'overtaking lane' as a 'fast lane'? Having said that it is ridiculous the number of people who impose a speed limit by their driving in the overtaking lane. The NRA have legitimised this dangerous dangerous practice with their new signage on the southern leg of the M50. Given that the Government have given up on safety education it would be great if the AA Roadwatch crowd might give little safety announcements/reminders from time to time. Just like they tell people to have their lights on dipped during fog they might say keep left unless overtaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dil999

Berkel wrote:
    <rant>

This morning I had the pleasure of driving along the M50 - now I am one of the few people in this country that believes that the 'overtaking' lane is for...er....overtaking. Now as it happened I was cruising along at 70 in the outside lane and came up past this guy who was sitting in the overtaking lane. Now I wasnt going to reduce my speed so kept on going, upon which I undertook the car who was in the overtaking lane. I made my way up further and came up behind another car whereupon I indicated and move back into the overtaking lane. Next thing I get a barrage of headlight flashes from the muppet who I had passed! Not one but multiple flashes. Even though I had loads of room, he seemed to take offence in my coming back into his lane...Maybe I 'invaded his space' or something. I flashed the indicators once and from the ballymount exit to past the tallaght exit, he switched his full beams on in some sort of futile attempt to annoy me.... if you are reading this dude, you need to get your headlights checked coz they are not very bright at all... Only when a car moved in between us did he switch them off....
    Just wanted to get that off my chest... Its amazing what people turn into when put behind the wheel of a car! ...and I'm no angel either...

...ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    </rant>

How much is your insurance ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Berkel

Er.... why you asking? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Berkel wrote:
    <rant>

..... Now as it happened I was cruising along at 70 in the outside lane and came up past this guy who was sitting in the overtaking lane. Now I wasnt going to reduce my speed so kept on going, upon which I undertook the car who was in the overtaking lane. .......

...ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    </rant>

Don't worry about it, just dip the mirrors, wave and carry one. Good work.

Advertisement