Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT finally sent out a bill woooo

• 29-11-2005 9:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭

After a year of calling their customer care dept and getting nowhere if even getting through at all ive finally been billed, and they undercharged me which is nice although im not remotly supprised but at least im finally getting a bill from them. Anyone else lucky enough to finally have the privlage of paying for the service theve been using for ages ? Hope the next bill dosnt take this long.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I always got my bills on time since day 1 but this month for the first time I got an email telling me my bill was available online. Something must have changed this month in BT billing.
    BTW was it a whopper:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Is anyone else completely confused by BT's pricing structure. They have so many different offers on that I'm not sure what the hell I should be paying. My current bill is for
    Line Rental	39.96
    All Ireland	1.19
    Other Call Types	1.81
    Broadband PLUS Two-Monthly Subscription	70.24
    Broadband & Line Rental Discount	-23.44
    Other charges and credits	0.00
    Total Discounts Received	-14.67
    Total Charges (ex. VAT)	75.09
    VAT @ 21.00%	15.77
    Total Charges this period (incl. VAT)	90.86

I thought it should be €50 a month for BB plus and line rental, plus my calls on top. But according to this I'm getting more discounts than you can shake a stick at. I'm not on any special offer as I had a 3 month trial and then went into full priced BB with line rental discount.

Anyway, €90.86 is better than €103 so I'm not complaining this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I got charged 170 euro for 2 months broadband plus. I ring the 1904 number and get a automated message saying their too busy to take me call and it hangs up.

I'm 6 months with them and i'll just cancel if thats how they treat customers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I fail to see why they cannot explain their bills clearly (with relevant examples) in a pop up after you log in :(

I got charged 170 euro for 2 months broadband plus. I ring the 1904 number and get a automated message saying their too busy to take me call and it hangs up.

I'm 6 months with them and i'll just cancel if thats how they treat customers.
    Jesus, that's bad allright. Send an email to customer.care@btireland.ie detailing the problem. I've almost always got a favourable response from my email complaints. Much better than being on hold for half an hour only to have them hang up on you.

My first bill was for around €170 or something, they had "forgot" to apply my line rental discount. They applied twice the discount on the 2nd bill though so it was only €60 for that one. But this newest one I can't figure out at all. The "Total Discounts Received -14.67" is the bit that I don't get.

• Advertisement

I original was iolBB+ and cancelled when i went to Oz. When i came back, several months later, i re-signed up (without signing a thing). So i ordered BTBB+ and was given BTBB and they used my current account details even though i asked for cc debit.

Since July i've have been ringing them asking for them to change the direct debit from my current account (which i never signed a mandate to use) to my cc. This month they overcharge me.

The 170 euro is for bTBB+ from 24/9/05-24/11/05 and 24/11/05 - 24/1/06 cause i asked for my account to be upgraded to what i originally asked for even thought i paid 65 euro for the 24/9/05-24/11/05. So after have some heated words with the person from Bangladesh (couldn't understand her and she didn't care), they are crediting my account 60 after tax, whatever that means, in January.

I ask for a copy of what happen to be emailed to me for my records. Refused. I complain about taking 170 from my current account when i never authorised. No symphony given. I ask for a supervisor. Refused. I ask for some i can make a complaint to and put on hold for 40 mins before queue buster asks for my number.

At this point i'm sick of their incompetence and lack of customer care. I rang BOI and they cancelled the direct debit and they weren't impressed when i informed them i never signed a direct debit mandate.

As soon as BT ring me back i'm cancelling their service. I'll pay for the extra for using BTBB+ from 24/9/05 - 24/11/05, another 20/25 euro but i won't pay for 24/11/05 - 24/01/06. They can whistle for that!!

At this point i'm sick of their incompetence and lack of customer care. I rang BOI and they cancelled the direct debit and they weren't impressed when i informed them i never signed a direct debit mandate.
    As in BOI didn't care you hadn't signed a mandate, or they weren't impressed with BT taking money from you without a mandate. If it's the former, then they are in serious breach of the law and you should tell them to reclaim your money immediately or you'll report them for it. If it's the latter, then they need to stop BT from doing this, and again reclaim your money.

there was a person who i emailed when i first had problems with IOL.

Brian Murphy if i remember. Does anyone know his email address?

EDIT: Its Bill Murphy. Sorry i thought search was disabled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Kristok wrote:
    After a year of calling their customer care dept and getting nowhere if even getting through at all ive finally been billed, and they undercharged me which is nice although im not remotly supprised but at least im finally getting a bill from them. Anyone else lucky enough to finally have the privlage of paying for the service theve been using for ages ? Hope the next bill dosnt take this long.
    And did they ask for the back pay for all the months previous? Or are they allowed this?

Ive had BT BB since Jan 1st this year and havent been billed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

They billed me 155 Euro in September
    I'm not even a customer !!!!

Have wrote to them and called a number of times - still no explanation from them.
    You will queue for ages on their customer care line -
    But not if you call the premium customer number which happens to be....

1800 924 131

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

there was a person who i emailed when i first had problems with IOL.

Brian Murphy if i remember. Does anyone know his email address?

EDIT: Its Bill Murphy. Sorry i thought search was disabled

Bills not the CEO anymore.You could be damned sure he would sort it out for you though.

JackieChan wrote:
    Bills not the CEO anymore.You could be damned sure he would sort it out for you though.

You're right. The guy is the best.

They cancelled the bill and are gonna disconnect me within the week.

So i hope Smart Telecom is as good as i heard people say about them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Is there any way of taking action against a company that takes money from a current account (or credit card account) without permission?

After all it is stealing - there appears to be on banking code of conduct under which complaints can be made.

Surely it should be possible where a company regularly transgresses to have the facility withdrawn from them - can you imagine the problems it would cause for them? Maybe the threat of it would force companies to behave a bit better than they do.

If I managed to hack my way into an isps account and 'borrow' even the lowly amount of 30 euros can you imagine what they would do to me and yets companies regularly do the equivalent without any consequences for them at all:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

i've had bb since august now, i got one bill fairly soon after that but my credit card has never had a euro charged from it. They got the first bill wrong though, they had a special deal of 25 euro for the first 3 months broadband and amazingly for the first one month of bb they were charging my 150 euro's, just for septemeber!, then they had october down as 75. They are a pack of jokers I think.

dub45 wrote:
    Is there any way of taking action against a company that takes money from a current account (or credit card account) without permission?
    Your first port of call should be with the bank anyway. If they don't reverse the charge, and you can proove you did not give concent, then you should contact the Gardai andsay you want to report a case of fraud. Ask the bank for written proof of you accepting the DD, if they cannot supply that then that would be proof enough.

You should also report the bank to the IFSRA for their part. It would help if you had everything in writing before doing any of this though.

Different banks deal with this in different ways. I know the AIB are a shower of pricks where direct debit cancellation is concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

this is a complaint i had to make to bt.there really does seem to be a communication problem between them and their customers.:mad: :mad: :mad:

after i signed up to bt i did not receive any bill for approx. a year,despite me making several phone calls.Eventually i got one for €861.05 on 13/6/05.when i rang on the 20/6/05 to pay i was cut off after being left on hold for a few minutes. i rang on the 21/6/05 and got eddie who informed me the total was actually €1041.80, so i gave my credit card details and was told the account is settled and up to date.On checking the bt site tonight 6/7/05 i see the account is still not showing credit for the payment. i checked bank and the money went through on 28/06/05.
    could you let me know the situation of my account please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

jor el wrote:
    Your first port of call should be with the bank anyway. If they don't reverse the charge, and you can proove you did not give concent, then you should contact the Gardai andsay you want to report a case of fraud. Ask the bank for written proof of you accepting the DD, if they cannot supply that then that would be proof enough.

You should also report the bank to the IFSRA for their part. It would help if you had everything in writing before doing any of this though.

Different banks deal with this in different ways. I know the AIB are a shower of pricks where direct debit cancellation is concerned.

You cant go to the guards they will just say get a solicitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cg2005

Where do I start,
    Ok here is an edited version of my adventure with BT so far.
    I became a customer with them a few years ago, & all was going ok except for there bad billing. But I put up with that because there calls were cheap.
    Then I moved house last year & I put in for a relocation. Then the nightmare began. I sent the forms in 3 times, Because they said they never got them. I even registered them the second time... It then took about 2 month's to sort it out. they kept blaming Eircom. & Eircom blamed them. So anyway I got sorted in the end. But then they sent me a bill for the time I was offline... So I e-mailed , & E-mailed. & eventually got on to someone in relocations, Who refunded my my money.

So Now I am moving again.
    & I am still being billed for the number & broadband in the last house & this one..!!!
    I sent off an e-mail to BT explaining that I would need a relocation, & would they have a look at my bill, as it was not correct.
    You know what they told me...
    If I wanted to relocate. I had to cancel my account. Pay a cancellation fee. & my billing was correct. End of story.
    I sent about 40 e-mail's. & got very rude & snotty replies.

In the end I sent a registered letter to the CEO of BT ireland , Mr bill Murphy, & I e-mailed a copy to MR Ben Verwaayen, CEO of BT UK.
    I explained my probelm, & said I wanted a reply from him ASAP. Now I knew I wouldent get this, But it may get to someone who may listen.
    & then I e-mailed the BT support people, & old them I had gone to a higher source, & they would be back to me soon to help wth my problem.
    & what do you know. 3 days later I get a call from a guy who is going to help me. Now at the start he was telling me that he was right, & I was wrong. But then after a while, & a sore ear, He saw my point, & said that all the info BT had told me was wrong, & that my billing was incorrect.

Now I still havent solved my prob as yet, But I am going tget a refund for my overcharging, & just cancel my account whithout paying any cancellation fee.

I am sick & tired of them.
    & if need' be, I will go the whole way & fight them.
    This is Joe Duffy material...

So my advice. Is write to MR Bill Murphy CEO BT Ireland, & register it. Go to the top. Then he may listen.

cg2005 wrote:

Where do I start,
    So my advice. Is write to MR Bill Murphy CEO BT Ireland, & register it. Go to the top. Then he may listen.

Mr Bill Murphy is not the CEO any more (there should be a sticky for this it has been repeated so many times:rolleyes: ) But even though he appears to have been very helpful when people emailed him about their problems surely to God he got (and probably still gets) enough emails to know for sure that Esats billing system stinks etc etc etc:eek: And yet he apparently did nothink to address the problem..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

The sad thing is that im sorta worn down by the whole experience and basically ill have to think long and hard if I decide to change to someone else cause im worried about the trouble im going to have trying to cancel my account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I set up broadband for my family about 14 months ago with IOL Broadband just before it became BTBroadband (basic package - no phone line or anything). They were set up by Direct Debit but have yet to receive a bill or be charged for the broadband. Actually they've never received any communication from BT apart from the modem in the post, obviously. We only realised this about a month ago. And in the last 3 months the DSL usage page has been reporting zero usage (both uploads and downloads) for the entire month. So far, seems to be pretty much unlimited broadband for free.

Its gonna be a huge bill when they finally get charged, when might this happen? And any chance that BT will reduce it somewhat because it was their fault in the first place? Seems kinda cheeky to charge about €500 all at once when it was the fault of their billing department.

Still, nice to have free broadband!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

I set up broadband for my family about 14 months ago with IOL Broadband just before it became BTBroadband (basic package - no phone line or anything). They were set up by Direct Debit but have yet to receive a bill or be charged for the broadband. Actually they've never received any communication from BT apart from the modem in the post, obviously. We only realised this about a month ago. And in the last 3 months the DSL usage page has been reporting zero usage (both uploads and downloads) for the entire month. So far, seems to be pretty much unlimited broadband for free.

Its gonna be a huge bill when they finally get charged, when might this happen? And any chance that BT will reduce it somewhat because it was their fault in the first place? Seems kinda cheeky to charge about €500 all at once when it was the fault of their billing department.

They started charging me after the trial allright but the first bill was a little smaller than what I had expected it to be(installation charge + 2 months rental).
    Checked the online bill system that BT have and guess what...Im being charged €30 for a 2Mb BT Plus connection!

I have checked the connection a number of times and I'm 100% certain I'm still on the 2Mbit line.

This will probable fix itself once the speed increases are set rolled out and I'll end up with a 2/256 line...which should do me fine!

All my bills are payed through CreditCard if anyones interested!

You should write/phone them and tell them they are not billing you so that you have a record of it in case of difficulties later and belive me with Esat you will have difficulties:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Daemonic

I feel privileged. I was an ESAT NoLimits customer before they imposed limits. I cancelled, never heard another word, never got billed in error.
    I signed up to BT Broadband last year and have had my bills available online every 2 months. Then horror of horrors, they take the correct amount from my credit card a couple of weeks after the bill.
    Am I doing something wrong? :p

On a more serious note, does anyone know who the new BT Ireland CEO is. Maybe an email with a link to this thread might catch his/her eye.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Daemonic wrote:
    I feel privileged. I was an ESAT NoLimits customer before they imposed limits. I cancelled, never heard another word, never got billed in error.

I know happy people who are customers just like you daemonic , the only problem I have is in explaining to them how they the were lucky ones :p .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Hey I'm happy out with the situation, don't complain on my behalf! ;-)

In fairness if I was being billed or not I'd be fairly happy being with BT, they're great for speed increases, Cap increases and price decreases. Never seems to be down or anything either.

Dave

Daemonic wrote:
    I signed up to BT Broadband last year and have had my bills available online every 2 months. Then horror of horrors, they take the correct amount from my credit card a couple of weeks after the bill.
    Am I doing something wrong? :p

On a more serious note, does anyone know who the new BT Ireland CEO is. Maybe an email with a link to this thread might catch his/her eye.

Dont be tempting providence - but buy a lottery ticket while your still in luck!:)

Advertisement