Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Laguna

Options
  • 29-11-2005 10:14am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My family has an 01 Laguna Sport.

Never had a problem with since we bought it 4 years ago (I think we had to change the key that’s about it) then all of a sudden the on board computer packed up.

Its gona cost €350 to repair and my Dad doesn’t mind paying that.

What he does mind is that we've lost all our mileage (25k approx) and the garage says we cant get it back. The resale value of the car has disappeared (unless we sell it back to the garage we bought it in but we don’t want to be tied down to another Renault).

Has this happened to any one before? Any one aware of anyone who can get the mileage back from a fcuked up on board computer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

If the car has been serviced in that garage, get them to give you a printout of their entire service record for the car. I think the service intervals for these is 18,000 miles so there will only have been one scheduled service by miles but a 4 year old car should have been serviced at least once a year. This will give you a written record of the mileage from new to the last service. Obviously there's a gap between the last service and now but if the average pre on board computer failure tally with the average mileage afterwards, you should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

alias no.9 wrote:
    I think the service intervals for these is 18,000 miles so there will only have been one scheduled service by miles but a 4 year old car should have been serviced at least once a year.
    It think it's 18k or every two years - even still it means you should have some written record of what distance the car has covered. Actually, if your garage are on the ball they should have a written record of the mileage every time they've had the car (any recalls, etc)....

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

When was its last NCT?
    The milage on the date of NCT is recorded on the report sheet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

We had the nct a few months ago AFAIK.

We only ever got it serviced once when we had the car under warranty. The rest of the time my dad serviced the car him self.

Even with the NCT cert people will be put off buying the car because as soon as they see 0 miles on an 01 car they'll be asking whats up with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

not that i'd condone giving such people a penny of my money, if it bothers ye that much, why not contact one of the many people advertising speedo corrections in the buy and sell?

if they can go down then surely they can go up

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

JohnBoy wrote:
    not that i'd condone giving such people a penny of my money, if it bothers ye that much, why not contact one of the many people advertising speedo corrections in the buy and sell?

Dont think me Dad would be up for that but will pass it on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

kearnsr wrote:
    Even with the NCT cert people will be put off buying the car because as soon as they see 0 miles on an 01 car they'll be asking whats up with that?

I dont think so. No person actually clocking the car would in their sane senses reduce the mileage to 0. Maybe from 140k to 40 or something like that. You will have a docket for the work from the garage too.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Cucullan

JohnBoy wrote:

I'd do as Johnboy says, if everything is above board as you say your conscience is clear when selling on the car and does save alot of hassle and alot of awkard questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You could stick it up on two jacks and put a brick on the accelerator to run up about 20k miles (the opposite of Ferris Beuller), then say nothing when selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

What a waste of petrol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

If you leave it into a main dealer they can send the new unit to be calibrated to a reputable outfit with the supporting documentation. This would then be kept on record !

No big deal !

Or you could just get a letter from the dealer stating that the speedo which read XYZ was replaced on such a date with one reading Zero !

This isn't a problem but you will need to ensure you use a main dealer with a decent reputation !

MercMad wrote:
    If you leave it into a main dealer they can send the new unit to be calibrated to a reputable outfit with the supporting documentation. This would then be kept on record !

No big deal !

Or you could just get a letter from the dealer stating that the speedo which read XYZ was replaced on such a date with one reading Zero !

This isn't a problem but you will need to ensure you use a main dealer with a decent reputation !

We asked in the garage (its a big dealership in west dublin) and they said there is nothing they can do other than to put in the new onboard computer with 0 Km on it (the dont do mile any more!)

I dont think my dad would clock the car. He bought a car that was clocked so he wasnt impressed!

Will show him these posts and see what happens do

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Stephen wrote:
    What a waste of petrol!

I was hardly being serious.

Advertisement