Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Release your potential

• 29-11-2005 10:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭

Suas are an organisation that run volunteer placements in developing countries.

They are looking for people to take part in community run projects and schools in India and Kenya next summer. If you would like to know more about this type of work, please come to Q119 [Business School] at 6.15 this Thursday [Dec 1st] to hear a volunteer describe her experiences in India last summer.

Applications are taken online at the above link, but competition for places is tight and the closing date is Dec 14th. This could be a great chance to find out if volunteer work would interest you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

bumpidy bump :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

not meaning to be bad, but do you really think people who discuss how much they get paid on INTRA are gonna volunteer for this thingy?

why volunteer when you can earn money!

i volunteered last summer and while it was a very rewarding experience, i kinda have no money now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

rugbug86 wrote:
    not meaning to be bad, but do you really think people who discuss how much they get paid on INTRA are gonna volunteer for this thingy?

Well, yeah! I did my INTRA years ago, and then did a summer of volunteer work after college with VOLU and as fun as the INTRA in the states was, the summer in Ghana was incredible and has shaped my life a lot more than other things I've done. So, for me - both summers worked out and the volunteer work was a lot more fun. Say, something like social injustice, ya don't really get into that on INTRA, but it's pretty much staring you in the face out in the bush in Ghana. (I've ranted in politics a bit about this)

That's just me - but about 30 people got back to me after the announcement, some to ask how they could sign up for the Suas program and a good bunch of them turned up for the seminar on Thursday. Enough that we're thinking of getting a society together to promote this kind of work.

why volunteer when you can earn money!

Because I think there's a whole lot more to life than money and one of the best ways I've found to see that is to go to a place where people have more time than money.
    i volunteered last summer and while it was a very rewarding experience, i kinda have no money now.

I'm glad you found it rewarding. Most people I know that have done volunteer work would like to do it again. Sometimes that depends on the organisation that they went with. What would you think?

Advertisement