Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good Garage - Bad Garage

• 29-11-2005 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

As a bit of a novice to biking I just went to the nearest bike mechanic to me when i encountered problems recently. I dont want name and shame but they were fairly fcking useless, so I went to probikes in Nutgrove when my bike wouldnt start they fixed what the previous place had done wrong but then something else went pear shaped a few weeks later and I gave them a ring and then came into town and picked it up for me. Whereas when this happened with the original store I was told that in no circumstance would they pick it up (3 days after 'fixing' it).
    Now my bike is working fine (touch wood) and I got no charge from probikes for picking up my bike from town. So I think we should recognise the good places and recommend them rather than getting some cowboy. So post any positives you have!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Chunkylover

any chance the bad 1 was premier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭tk123

yeah NAME AND SHAME!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

i think when it comes down to it we have all had good & bad experiences from alot of the same places

ive had good experiences with JP on pierce street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Chunkylover

am using Old skool in bray, the bikes been in there for over a week now (probably cause I told him that im in no hurry at all to get it back,am getting used to going to work in a warm cage) but they are nice to deal with and hes not letting the bike go until he knows is good enough, even offered to sell it for me through BBG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Delaneys in Harolds Cross is excellent. I had bought from Cotters & Bikeworld before and felt that the service was lacking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Garibaldi

Bikeworld - Never had a problem. In fact, I thought they were excellent.
    New Gem - Ah ha...ah ha ha ha ha ha. Leave your bike in there to be serviced, and it comes out broken.
    M&A - Very good work carried out, but they're a bit of a sullen lot. Not that that really matters in the end.
    Inchicore Motorcycles - Came highly recommended, but first hand experience has been pretty disappointing. Pricing has yet to be beaten, though (which, I realise, sounds ridiculous in light of the previous sentence, but the thing is, they're apparently excellent at servicing Jap bikes).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Garibaldi wrote:
    New Gem - Ah ha...ah ha ha ha ha ha. Leave your bike in there to be serviced, and it comes out broken.
    I had the same problem with Leo O' Reilly motorcycles in Dorset St... Cost me around 300euro and 3 or 4 visits before I gave up on them! (That aside, they are very nice chaps!)
    M & A motorcycles, North Strand - dead sound and seem to know about motorbikes too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

Garibaldi wrote:
    Could you tell us what happened exactly?

I have lots of dealings with them, but as others say, for every person saying such and such are great, there is one saying they are ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

WorldWide Cycles up there beside the KCR -best place i've been to.
    Dead cheep and tell ye exactly how it is, no bs. Have had other dealings with other places- Pat Barron, BikeWorld, and red zone, and PlanetFun but WorldWide was the best hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 BRUNO.22

Ive Been To A Few Places And No Major Problems,,,apart From Cotters.would Never Go Back.capital Honda Are A Nice Bunch And Fair Too.

• Advertisement

New Gem example:
    CBR600 left in for a standard service. This, for starters, took three fuggin days. :( Their favourite line, at the time, was that they were waiting for parts to come in. Yes. Waiting for parts. For a scheduled, standard service. Very believable. Anyway, go to pick up the bike, and mechanic says, with a totally straight, and even a little concerned, face "Tell me, was your bike pissing coolant all over the place when you brought it in?". Me: "No, why?". M: "Because it is now." :eek:
    Let me just assure everyone that the bike was well cared for (up to this point), regularly serviced, and had absolutely no problems.
    So, I go in and take a look. Somehow, they've managed to crack the engine block. :eek: That's right, they seemed to have either dropped the bike off the hydraulic jacks, or they were filming the Ranelagh Anglegrinder Massacre in the workshop the night before. Of course, there was no admission of any wrong-doing on their part, and they even had the audacity to give me a discount on the cost of the repairs. Aren't they just the best. So, since then, I haven't darkened their workshop door. How's that for an example? :mad:

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention. the welding job they did didn't hold and it had to be re-done a coupla weeks later. Bunch. Of. Fuggin. Clowns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Cassiel

BRUNO.22 wrote:
    Ive Been To A Few Places And No Major Problems,,,apart From Cotters.would Never Go Back.capital Honda Are A Nice Bunch And Fair Too.

Would second Capital Honda, thorough job done on a standard service and even picked up on a problem I had caused myself (i was tinkering with the carbs fitting a scottoiler). So yeah, the guys there are quality.

A bit unhappy with the quality of work done at S&F coyne mullingar, - left the right side chain adjuster and rear axle nut completley loose, could have been a nasty surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Garibaldi wrote:
    New Gem example:
    CBR600 left in for a standard service. This, for starters, took three fuggin days. :( Their favourite line, at the time, was that they were waiting for parts to come in. Yes. Waiting for parts. For a scheduled, standard service. Very believable. Anyway, go to pick up the bike, and mechanic says, with a totally straight, and even a little concerned, face "Tell me, was your bike pissing coolant all over the place when you brought it in?". Me: "No, why?". M: "Because it is now." :eek:
    Let me just assure everyone that the bike was well cared for (up to this point), regularly serviced, and had absolutely no problems.
    So, I go in and take a look. Somehow, they've managed to crack the engine block. :eek: That's right, they seemed to have either dropped the bike off the hydraulic jacks, or they were filming the Ranelagh Anglegrinder Massacre in the workshop the night before. Of course, there was no admission of any wrong-doing on their part, and they even had the audacity to give me a discount on the cost of the repairs. Aren't they just the best. So, since then, I haven't darkened their workshop door. How's that for an example? :mad:

Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention. the welding job they did didn't hold and it had to be re-done a coupla weeks later. Bunch. Of. Fuggin. Clowns.
    you should have taken them to court over that, how much did it cost?

All told, it cost about £400, IIRC. It's a good few years ago now, I must admit (not that I believe they've changed very much), so it's just been chalked up to experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

Jaysus thats bad form. I have had no problems, and they have had some usefull advice for me on some unusual problems. They should have fecking owned up to that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,482 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Several different bikes over many years..M&A bikes do the best service of them all.

But unless you bought your bike from them be prepared for a long wait..there is a long wait for a reason..their mechanics do a great job.
    Haven't ever ridden out of their shop on my recently serviced bike and REALLY noticed how smooth everything feels compaired to before.

My advice..if you are thinking about a routine servicing..call M&A well ahead and wait till they have a slot available.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 27 petergorman

picked up one of the ex-army honda deauvilles off capital honda a while back. hadnt even got 100km before the back wheel blew out going down the M50. found out later that it had a 9 year old tyre on the back. apparently there is nothing wrong with a 9 year old tyre once there is a bit of thread on it.
    thought capital honda were one of the best around till they sent me out on a bike that wasnt even road legal or safe. wont be going back there in a hurry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I bought a bike back from Bikeworld after I traded it in for a new one. They failed to transfer it back into my name and I drove it for 6 months. It wasn't until it was involved in a little accident did I find out it wasn't in my name and therefore not insured :mad:

The first bike i bought from them had a Datatool alarm which I had no end of trouble with because it wasn't earthed properly.

The second bike had a buzzing fairing which Kawasaki recognised as a fault but Bikeworld wouldn't fix until I spoke to Kawasaki head office in the UK to get them to put the preasure on.

I bought a bike from M&A a couple of years back and found a spanner lodged in the rear shock the next day, I was told it must have "fell in there". The bloddy thing could have killed me. That and the bike had no oil in it after a full service was supposidly done.

Bought a Blade from Megabikes and had nothing but trouble with it, ending up returning it after a week.

Another place in Inchicore, can't remember the name but its beside some big stone works. Bought a GSX1100F from them and it was in ****, the thing clapped out after 50 miles and left me stranded in the middle of a particularly hot day in Dublin city. Found out the carb float bowls were all connected to each other. So one carb was over flowing into the other.
    Their excuse was to blame me and tell me that I don't know how to drive !!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Seeing as we're naming and shaming. I bought a bike from JP Motorcyles in October of last year - I still do not have the log book to get the tax paid. I have gone above and beyond what I should have to do in terms of contacting them and the issue is still not resolved. I won't be buying from them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Delaneys in Harolds Cross is excellent. I had bought from Cotters & Bikeworld before and felt that the service was lacking.

I second Delaneys- I would not go anywhere else after a few bad jobs in other places!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

I used to go to Megabikes. Grand, no problems really apart from electrical. Ace Motorcycles near Blessington st are great for electrics. One guy shop I think. Very honest chap and he did some great work on re-aligning my forks after a silly drop. I will bring my bike there in the future no matter what.

WorldWide bikes are good too. Again very honest. They actually recommend me to Ace for my electrical problem.

Conor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

con1982 wrote: »
    I used to go to Megabikes. Grand, no problems really apart from electrical. Ace Motorcycles near Blessington st are great for electrics. One guy shop I think. Very honest chap and he did some great work on re-aligning my forks after a silly drop. I will bring my bike there in the future no matter what.

WorldWide bikes are good too. Again very honest. They actually recommend me to Ace for my electrical problem.

Conor

I got recommended Ace Motorcycles from here. Nice chap, Dennis, lovely to deal with and knows his stuff. Makes a change after a couple of chancers I used go to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Cassiel wrote: »
    Would second Capital Honda, thorough job done on a standard service and even picked up on a problem I had caused myself (i was tinkering with the carbs fitting a scottoiler). So yeah, the guys there are quality.
    LOL!? :D:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭cutepape

M&A did an excellent job went I left my former bike to them.. maybe a little on the expensive side though but worth it. Got the bike back same day and guy who helped me over the phone was nice. They were really short when talking to live in the shop.. but still really helpfull and mechanic did an excellent job on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Niall06

Good shops

Paul Ryan Motorcycles
    Dogsbox Motorcycles

Bad Shop
    Motomax ( now called bikes or us, some ****e like that. Avoid at all costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

have to recommend GP Motorcycles on Amiens st, in the old part of Connolly Station.
    Dave and Tony 2 great blokes and great mechanics, always have time for you no matter the problem,
    Have brought all my bikes there after a bad experience with M&A
    They failed to notice they had connected a new exhaust wrong, cue me driving down the road at about 40mph when the exhaust cracks off.
    Wanted me to pay repairs saying it was my fault somehow, i had only left the shop 2 mins beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Ace Motorbikes have closed down afaik, just after xmas this year.

Advertisement