Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private sale of house?

Options
  • 29-11-2005 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

Would you or have you ever sold a house privately?

I dont particularly like estate agents and am thinking of doing it myself.

any thoughts?

[Not sure if Ive posted this in the right place or not]

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Moved from Consumer Issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭AndyWarhol

Maccattack wrote:
    Would you or have you ever sold a house privately?

I dont particularly like estate agents and am thinking of doing it myself.

any thoughts?

[Not sure if Ive posted this in the right place or not]

This was already discussed.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=309261

I believe the general conclusion was that estate agents get you a better price for your house cos they sell them every day of the week, when most people only sell one or two during their entire lives.

The higher price an estate agent can muscle for you, whilst resulting in higher %-based fees, actually gives you a greater net income. I'd trust 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭namaimo

Check out this site, selling privately seems to be gaining support.

http://www.privateseller.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

AndyWarhol wrote:
    Thats right, wonder how he got on. Culchie if you are out there how did it go for you?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

i bought mine privately, think we were both happy and reasonable about everything and there was none of this 'we've just had a last minute offer 5k more than yours'...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

garred wrote:
    Thats right, wonder how he got on. Culchie if you are out there how did it go for you?

Hi, :o

I even done a 'blog' up with the house for sale ready to market.

To tell you the truth, after chatting with a few people, and having a good think about it, I went the good old estate agent route.

The main reason was 'leads'. I've had about 15 couples all mortgaged approved looking at the house, and from a valuation of €285,000 latest offer in is €304,000. The first time buyer market is HOT

4 more couples to see it this evening, and I think after that we'll do business with someone.
    Been on the market 3 weeks in total.

I'm afraid I can't fault the Estate Agent, he has been in constant contact with me, he has vetted all the viewers, and is working for me quite well.

Yes he gets 1%, but I think overall, it proved the right decision, both financially and from a 'stress free' point of view.

Sorry if I let the side down :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭garred

Chicken :D

Yeh I know.

I put down all the pro's and all the con's, and I went for the agent route.

You have to bear in mind my house is a starter house for someone, so I need lots of leads, it's a numbers game.

If it was worth €600,000K, I wouldnt like to be paying 1% on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

1%? man that's cheap. Sherry Fitz charge 1.5%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

are you selling now?? I always thought this time of year was bad for selling. The summer is supposed to be the bestest. so they say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Maccattack wrote:
    are you selling now?? I always thought this time of year was bad for selling. The summer is supposed to be the bestest. so they say.
    July-August and December-January tend to be teh slwoest sells as people have other things on their minds (Christmas, end-of-year, holidays ....).

Victor wrote:
    July-August and December-January tend to be teh slwoest sells as people have other things on their minds (Christmas, end-of-year, holidays ....).

You wanna bet, I'm beating them off with a stick.

I was also a contrarian. If no-one is selling this time of the year, then all the better for my house then.

I think that 'Spring season thing' might be true for people upgrading, but first time buyers are mad to buy anytime they can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭AndyWarhol

daveym wrote:
    i bought mine privately, think we were both happy and reasonable about everything and there was none of this 'we've just had a last minute offer 5k more than yours'...

Ah but you bought your house privately. You avoided the, as you say, 'we've just had a last-minute offer of 5k more' babble from estate agents. This is to your advantage and the seller's disadvantage.

Selling privately is a different ball game altogether.

Victor wrote:

It depends on the market you are aiming for.

It's true that certain in rural areas like the 'Gold Coast' of property in this part of the country, being Kinsale/Glandore, through West Cork and on through South Kerry, it is far easier to sell in the summer for the simple reason that the biggest market is in the area of tourism and holiday houses. People come to the area, it looks great in the sun, and they fall in love with it not thinking about how bleak it can be in January...

On the other hand wouldn't have thouhgt urban prices would be subject to seasonal variations...

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

AndyWarhol wrote:
    Ah but you bought your house privately. You avoided the, as you say, 'we've just had a last-minute offer of 5k more' babble from estate agents. This is to your advantage and the seller's disadvantage.

Selling privately is a different ball game altogether.

true enough, but the seller was originally going via an agent and had terrible trouble with them, everything from saying they had brought people to view when they hadn't to apparently scaring off a buyer with the old we have had a last minute offer thing when they hadn't and leaving her high and dry..

So she just didn't want to have anything to do with any agent after that.

As you say possibly they will get you the extra money but personally I would prefer not to do business with them if at all possible, buying or selling.

Then again I will probably come down off my moral high horse when I come to sell, just like culchie :D !

Yes.

I think like anything else, there are good agents and bad agents as well.

I seem to have got lucky. He is using his 'loaf'.
    A house two streets up from me closed today, 3 underbidders, he is been in contact with the 3 of them, and set them up for a viewing tomorrow evening.

It's these 'leads' and their database that gives them the edge, especially if your house is aimed at the first time buyer market, they have lists of people looking for their first home, all vetted for mortgages ...it's that sort of stuff that has changed my mind.
    The 'selling' of the house is the easy bit.

Advertisement