Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone here doing First Year Theoretical Physics?

Options
  • 29-11-2005 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of doing this course next year, but I was just wondering about something. On the horizons website there's a module called "Introduction to Mechanics" which it says to take as directed by the school. Can anyone tell me why you'd be directed to take that module?

One other question, is the UCD TP course less maths heavy than the TCD one?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Put it this way: If you're worrying about how maths-heavy a TP course will be, it's probably not the best choice for you. I entered UCD in 2002 as a mathematical science student, then switched to single honours maths physics for 3rd year (ouch!) then hated that, so now I'm doing CS. :) The maths is quite intensive all the way through. First year is ok, but 2nd year is just such an almighty kick in the ass. (3rd year is just as bad, but I think at that stage my head was just not in it) You've really got to be prepared to work your ass off, and to spend hours slogging away at your problem sheets. I don't mean to sound negative, but that's just my 2c.

Raphael wrote:
    I'm thinking of doing this course next year, but I was just wondering about something. On the horizons website there's a module called "Introduction to Mechanics" which it says to take as directed by the school. Can anyone tell me why you'd be directed to take that module?

One other question, is the UCD TP course less maths heavy than the TCD one?

Thanks!

Yeah I'm doing first year TP. You're advised to do Intro to mechanics if you didn't get a B or higher in Applied Maths for the LC.

1sy year is extremely easy, but obviously I wouldn't know anything about second year or the years ahead. I think Trinity has a higher drop-out rate than UCD in TP, but I'm 100% sure on that.

Hope that helps.

(If you have any further questions feel free to ask me on MSN.)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Like I said before... 2nd year kicks up the difficulty a lot. I didn't do experimental physics in 2nd year, but all the TPs I knew spent all their time on lab reports, and maths will kick your ass unless you're an absolute genius.
    The nice thing about UCD is that it's relatively easy to switch to other courses within science if things aren't going well for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭sAid

yeah its pretty maths heavy alright but the introduction to mechanics is just the lc applied maths course which is lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I'm in 2nd year TP, and as rainbow kirby said maths physics gets pretty tough, though I don't think the honours maths courses are too bad (compared to m.physics anyway). Experimental physics steps up a notch too.
    Though next year might be totally different for current first years, what with horizons and all. Either way if it doesn't suit you there's always the option of changing to general science.

But one things for sure I don't regret choosing to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

If you're doing applied maths for the leaving and you understand it and aren't struggling with it, you'd probably find the TP course doable and not terribly difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Thanks guys, not doing App Maths, so I'll probably be doing that module.

kirby: it's not that I have problems with the maths, just that i've heard trinners TP is more like a maths course than a physics course

Advertisement