Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copy only updated files from directory

Options
  • 29-11-2005 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

I have the following work-related task to do on a Windows box:
    • I need to take a backup of a directory that contains a large number (000's) of files in subdirectories.
    • The backup needs to be transferred via internet to another server (linux) and the dir structure maintained.
    • The backup needs to occur daily

As the source directory is fairly large (00's MB), I don't want to have to be transferring the full (zipped) directory to the backup server everyday. Instead, I'd simply like to be able to extract only the files that were updated since the previous backup (daily backup to occur at midnight) and send only those ones to the backup server thereby preserving bandwidth. Obviously the first time I run this I will have to upload the full directory structure and files.

I know Winzip will add only updated files to an archive however the archive will still be the original full one and therefore very large.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Many thanks,

AgainTheTime

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Windows file system has an archive bit, which WinZip can manipulate.

Include only if archive bit set
    Reset archive bit

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Do a search for ftp mirroring software. Might be another solution.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

the windows options are to use XCOPY and ROBOCOPY and XP SYNC POWERTOY to push the changed files in to a folder and then copy/upload it.

eg?: XCOPY W:\*.* X:\*.* /D /C /M - copy newer files - continue if error - change archive bit.

www.7zip.org

then use the command line utility 7za

7za a new *.* - adds all files look the help in the windows app for more choices on just the new files

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

you could always create and compare a hash (MD5) and then copy ..
    TBH, the overheard of doing so would be a good reason to go with the above suggestions^

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

doesn't RSYNC do most of this including the check sums ?

never tired it but there are tutorials on how to use it in windows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Apparently so:)
    "See also the --checksum (-c) option for one way to avoid the extra copying without synchronizing the modified times. "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 AgainTheTime

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Looking into setting up rsync to do the job.

AgainTheTime

Advertisement