Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House alarms: Auto diallers & Certification

• 29-11-2005 2:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

Two questions:

1. Which is better, auto dialling or auto texting?

Texting is the latest offering. My feeling is that I might not here a text arriving, whereas I am more likely to hear my mobile ringing.

What do others think?

2. Is certification of the alarm system important for house insurance?

Many thanks.

D.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

I personally would go for the Auto (voice ) dialler. This looks for a confirmation keypress whan the call is answered. If it doesent get this it keeps dialling the rest of the numbers.Certification will earn you extra discounts from some insurers. It is also needed if you decided to change to central station monitoring & required Gard response to to alarms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

That decides it.

Many thanks.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Jnealon

I had to stop using auto diallers because I was getting calls in the middle of the night from people who forgot how to confirm the auto diallers call. It will keep ringing the designated numbers until it gets a confirmation signal in the form of a couple of key presses on the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Jnealon wrote:
    I had to stop using auto diallers because I was getting calls in the middle of the night from people who forgot how to confirm the auto diallers call.

I don't understand.

Assuming it was your alarm, why didn't the autodialler dial you first?

Or are you an installer?

If so, I can understand why some people would be a bit technically illiterate, but that wouldn't put me off.

Thanks.

D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Jnealon

If you are going to with the dialler I would recommend an Aritech one, although you will need a keypad to programme it if you're panel in not an Aritech. I would stay away from ADE informa as it pretty useless. It starts playing the massage before you answer the phone so when you actually answer the phone you hear nothing as the message has already played.
    Other good ones are pyronix and Menvier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭charlesanto

I got an alarm fitted recently. Gave the text thingie some thought and decided against it. I had visions of being away on holidays continually receiving texts that my house was being burgled, the chances are it would be a false alarm and I'd be getting stressed for nothing - worse still your house may actually be getting burgled- you don't wanto know about that when your on holidays, thats why i pay insurance.

Advertisement