Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting TV through NTL Broadband Box

• 29-11-2005 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi guys,

I got NTL broadband there a few months ago. They installed a new box on the wall from the NTL cable that runs from house to house. The box has two connection points. One is the broadband connection, the other is not used.

I was wondering is it possible to receive TV from this box? And connect it to my PC using a TV turner?

I am already an NTL basic user.

Cheers,

4aces.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭daramullally

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

The second port is FM. I think you can get TV through it but it will be fuzzy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 4aces

Thanks.

I gave it a try and it works grand through the TV port. And yes the FM port gave a fuzzy reception.

Therefore I want to connect my broadband and tv via the TV port. Could I buy a coax splitter to allow me to connect both my broadband and tv connections?

Is this possible? And would there be any reduction in speed and/or tv quality?

4Aces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,913 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

What you could do is go into Maplins and buy a 2 way splitter open the box and remove the Box with the FM/TV splitter and replace it with the 2 way splitter, put it all back together and run a seperate wire to your TV tuner and away you go ;) you should see no reduction in speed on your Broadband, just one thing if your broadband breaks down and NTHell send out an engineer make sure you put back the original FM/TV splitter.

Cheers

Snake ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

My NTL goes box -> splitter (installed by NTL)-> BB & DTV. I would imagine you could easly do the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

paulm17781 wrote:
    My NTL goes box -> splitter (installed by NTL)-> BB & DTV. I would imagine you could easly do the same.

Same here.. a small splitter ont he cable to my Digital and BB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 4aces

I bought a 2-way F splitter and F plug to F plug lead.

Just connected the splitter to the cable running from the NTL box and then connected my modem to the cable coming from the splitter. So far no joy. Did I buy the wrong equipment? Or should this have worked?

The specs of the splitter are 5-1000Mhz and the F to F plug is a RG-59/U coaxial cable 75 OHM.

Any help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭spanner_head

Heyho,

just wondering is there any update on this?
    I'm in the same boat...

thanks,
    spanner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

make sure the splitter is TV in and TV out at both ends
    you can get ones that look identical that are combination TV/FM in and TV out (a) and FM out (b)
    (a diplexer I think they are called)

Advertisement