Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sill internet problem

• 29-11-2005 2:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

This is one of those stupid problems that most likely has a really simple answer and is right under my nose. Im on Esat 2mbt dsl. We have two computers connected to the zyxel router. Mine is connected vis USB and the other one is connected via ethernet.

Everything was working fine, until, for absolutely no reason ( that I can see ) the ethernet PC disconnected from the internet and strangely, refuses to reconnect. Ive tried everythign I can think of but cant get it back on the internet. Any ideas? Sorry for the stupid thread!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Can you ping the router from the ethernet connected PC? If you can do this, can you ping the DNS servers, 194.125.2.240 and 194.125.2.241?

If you can't ping the router then it could be a problem with the router or network card in the PC. If someone has gone messing with the network settings on the PC then you could do a system restore to yesterday (or whenever it was last working) to restore the settings.

Has any new hardware been added to the other PC lately, particularly anything that may have a firewire port on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

jor el wrote:
    Can you ping the router from the ethernet connected PC? If you can do this, can you ping the DNS servers, 194.125.2.240 and 194.125.2.241?

If you can't ping the router then it could be a problem with the router or network card in the PC. If someone has gone messing with the network settings on the PC then you could do a system restore to yesterday (or whenever it was last working) to restore the settings.

Has any new hardware been added to the other PC lately, particularly anything that may have a firewire port on it?

Bit or a retard question here but how do I ping the router ?

I tried accessing the routers web config and I cant..

Open a command prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd) and type ping 192.168.1.1
    That should ping the router, if the router is still 192.168.1.1, which it should be unless someone changed it.

If you get no response then the PC isn't seeing the router.

In the command window, type ipconfig aswell and it should tell you the PC's IP address (which should be something like 192.168.1.33 or maybe 34), the subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0 and the default gateway should be 192.168.1.1.

Try this and see what you get anyway.

Its saying 'destination' unreachable. Does this mean that the problem is just to do with the computer not recognising the router ? Maybe I need to reinstall the drivers on that computer. I dont have the bloody disk though =/

No. There'll be no drivers for the ethernet connection.

What's the result of ipconfig?

• Advertisement

jor el wrote:
    No. There'll be no drivers for the ethernet connection.

What's the result of ipconfig?

here be the resulsts

autoconfiguration ip.add: 169.254.71.53
    subnet mask: 255.255.0.0
    Default gateway: nothing

Thanks for the help btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

do you have a firewall program?
    disable it completely and see if that works.

subway wrote:
    do you have a firewall program?
    disable it completely and see if that works.

I tried that.

well the problem seems that for some reason your pc isnt accepting the ip that the router should be assigning.

the cables seem as tho theyre connected properly etc.

try using the repair connection option by right clicking the network connection in the connections screen.
    if that doesnt work,
    try a hard reset on the router [youll lose settings that are saved in the router if you do so make sure you have them to hand]

subway wrote:
    well the problem seems that for some reason your pc isnt accepting the ip that the router should be assigning.

the cables seem as tho theyre connected properly etc.

try using the repair connection option by right clicking the network connection in the connections screen.
    if that doesnt work,
    try a hard reset on the router [youll lose settings that are saved in the router if you do so make sure you have them to hand]

aye - tried all that already too. =/

• Advertisement

Try setting the ip manually to 192.168.1.35 and the mask to 255.255.255.0 an gateway to 192.168.1.33

Also set the DNS servers to 194.125.2.240 and 194.125.2.241 and see does that work.

your tcp/ip settings havent been manually set in windows have they?

right click the network connection icon,
    in general selct tcp/ip internet protocol,
    then click properties underneath,
    make sure eveything is set to auto

subway wrote:

I'll try this now.
    jor el wrote:
    Try setting the ip manually to 192.168.1.35 and the mask to 255.255.255.0 an gateway to 192.168.1.33

Also set the DNS servers to 194.125.2.240 and 194.125.2.241 and see does that work.

How do I manually do this ?

same way as my suggestion,
    instead of auto, enter the ips jor el listed.

subway wrote:

Theres no TCP/IP internet protocol option there... when you say the network connection icon, you mean the local area network connection that that pc is using yeah ? When i right click and go to properties there is no tcp/ip options.

is this the window you have open?
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/network_protocols/network_protocols08.gif

tcp/ip should be in there

subway wrote:
    is this the window you have open?
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/network_protocols/network_protocols08.gif

tcp/ip should be in there

oh right yeah, sorry. Its all set to auto.

did manually setting them have any efect?

subway wrote:
    did manually setting them have any efect?

Just tried it and nothing. Restarting the pc now and i'll try again.

p.s thanks again for all the help.

anyone else got any ideas ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Gaz25

Hey,

To be honest after you run ipconfig in DOS and default gateway comes back blank, then you can't manually asign the IP and DNS.

The best option is to install through USB on the computer your having problems with and connect Ethernet through the computer that was already connected through USB

If your default gateway comes back with say (ie) 0.0.0.0 then you can manually asign the IP and DNS.

Gaz25 wrote:
    Hey,

To be honest after you run ipconfig in DOS and default gateway comes back blank, then you can't manually asign the IP and DNS.

The best option is to install through USB on the computer your having problems with and connect Ethernet through the computer that was already connected through USB

If your default gateway comes back with say (ie) 0.0.0.0 then you can manually asign the IP and DNS.

tis a good idea. Dont know if the cable will reach. I'll give it a go.

I connected the problem pc to the modem via USB, installed the modem drivers ETC but couldnt, for some strange reason, access the online webconfig mneu via 192.168.1.1 - so I couldnt set up the modem....

any idea why this is ?

OK, i take it thats the default gateway your trying to access?

First of all switch off the computer with USB and disconnect it.

Then Go to>run>cmd> and run ipconfig, check what default gateway is?
    if it comes back, then simply go to network connections and LAN>righ click>select properties>TCP/IP and select>use the following IP addess and if you have the DNS address's put them in

If your with eircom then DNS address are the following:
    Primary DNS: 213.94.190.194
    Secondary DNS: 213.94.190.236

I was just trying to set up the modem via the routers webconfig thing...is that the same as default gateway? When I put in ipconfig before it was coming up with nothing..not even 0.0.0.0.

Gaz25 wrote:
    OK, i take it thats the default gateway your trying to access?

First of all switch off the computer with USB and disconnect it.

Then Go to>run>cmd> and run ipconfig, check what default gateway is?
    if it comes back, then simply go to network connections and LAN>righ click>select properties>TCP/IP and select>use the following IP addess and if you have the DNS address's put them in

If your with eircom then DNS address are the following:
    Primary DNS: 213.94.190.194
    Secondary DNS: 213.94.190.236

But you have no problem connecting through USB? What happens when you connect USB and rung ipconfig? do you get the default gateway back?

That sound like a faulty router to me. I would contact your ISP for a new replacment and if they it works through USB and there's no problems, just say that whole idea with a router is to be able to use USB and Ethernet to connect 2 computers at the same time.

Trust me i work for a ISP ( wont mention any names):)

Let us know what happens:D

Gaz25 wrote:
    But you have no problem connecting through USB? What happens when you connect USB and rung ipconfig? do you get the default gateway back?

That sound like a faulty router to me. I would contact your ISP for a new replacment and if they it works through USB and there's no problems, just say that whole idea with a router is to be able to use USB and Ethernet to connect 2 computers at the same time.

Trust me i work for a ISP ( wont mention any names):)

Let us know what happens:D

no, on the problem PC I CANT connect via usb or ethernet. When I connect usb and run ipconfig the default gateway comes back blank.

Why cant I access the 192.168.1.1 router menu thing though ? you dont even need to be online to access that menu right ?

Right, this is doing my head in so much that Ive decided to just buy another router with 2 ethernet ports on it. The one I currently have disconnects me constatnly anyway.

This should solve the problem yes ? Any reccomendations on a cheap router thats good for 2 pcs ? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Not sure about buying online Tusky, or even if its the cheapest (prob not) but 2 weeks ago I got a Belkin router from PCworld for about €120. It has 4 ethernet sockets + wireless + wireless usb adaptor.

• Advertisement

SofaKing wrote:
    Not sure about buying online Tusky, or even if its the cheapest (prob not) but 2 weeks ago I got a Belkin router from PCworld for about €120. It has 4 ethernet sockets + wireless + wireless usb adaptor.

and that should technically fix my problem ? Think I saw some on komplett for 30-40 euro mark.

Advertisement