Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cruel Pet Store?

• 29-11-2005 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭

My local pet shop has parrots which it leaves in very small cages outside the door of the shop all day. Is this cruel or do parrots not mind this freezing cold weather?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Jaysus .. what about pellet gun shooters?

I would say that regardless of whether the birds feel the cold or not .. that that is cruelty. How can the shop assistant keep an eye on them if they are outside. A dog could knock the cage or even a child could let them loose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Definate cruelty, report them to the DSPCA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

I'll take a drive be tomorrow at lunch to check if they are still doing it. It's been a few months since I've been there. If they're still at it, I'll call the DSPCA. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

it's cruel if they don't have somewhere heated, but usually parrots that have been here throughout the summer will be acclimatised, tho they DO have to have a sheltered heated area too. It's not totally unnatural for them to be outdoors as I already stated, once they have been out all summer. they are hardier than people think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Depends what type of parrots they are, do they have any access to shelter or are they kept under shelter? Food shelter and water are required by law but the law doesn't state what quality of water etc. If they are shivering and looking pretty miserable then report them.

• Advertisement

bubby wrote:
    Jaysus .. How can the shop assistant keep an eye on them if they are outside. A dog could knock the cage or even a child could let them loose.

It doesn't matter a toss whether the parrots are cold or not. That is insignificant. A petshop eaving animals outside a shop with no supervision is negligent. Full Stop!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

True, bird theft and smuggling is still rampant in Irleand, makes it too easy for folks to nab them.

Well if there are knackers bombing the toll bridge .. whats to stop their kids bombing parrot cages outside petshops!! Seriously!! If it was a guinea pig or a rabbit .. you'd be out there with a Hiace van loading them in there ..

"Quick, call the RSPCA ... somebody ... "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

The RSPCA doesn't operate in this country;)

who cares .. someone .. quick quick save the parrots!

• Advertisement
Advertisement