Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steel City Derby(scores will be included)

• 29-11-2005 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭

After watching the pussy Derby games in the PL its about time there was a proper one this season! Wednesday play Utd this Saturday in the first Sheffield derby game in 3 seasons! this should be a classic and wait for a couple of tackles flying in.....Im hoping that with all the gossip around Warnock this will put off the United team and Wednesday can sneak it.....with Murphy having a good debut on Sat even thou we lost we finally have some fire power up front.....

Going for a 2-1 win to Wednesday!! Come on the Owls!!

Glenn Whelan, at 21 one of the youngest captains to lead Sheffield Wednesday into a Steel City showdown, believes a derby victory can kick start the Owls faltering season.
    A wretched run of just four points from 18 in November- and just four goals in six games- has left Wednesday just a point away from the Championship relegation zone. And the last thing you would imagine Paul Sturrock's youthful side need right now is a bruising trip to high-flying Sheffield United. But Whelan- handed the captains armband after club captain Lee Bullen was sidelined with injury- believes an unlikely victory against the Blades can provide the missing spark for the misfiring Owls. Wednesday have already shown they can raise their game for a Yorkshire derby, beating Leeds United's multimillion-pound squad 1-0 at Hillsborough earlier in the season.

"It's a big game for us on Saturday, the derby," Said the Ireland Under 21 star Whelan. "We can only do our best, but we will be looking for a win. We need to turn things round not only for the fans, but ourselves. If we get a win against our local rivals, anything can happen. We are down at the moment but we will be right back up for Saturday."

Sheffield Wednesday manager Paul Sturrock is preparing to lead his troops into action against arch rivals Sheffield United for the first time since taking over 14 months ago- but has been involved in many other local derbies during his lengthy career. As a youngster, he supported Hearts in the Edinburgh derby, as a player he wore the tangerine of Dundee United against Dundee, while in management he has led Plymouth against Exeter and Southampton against Portsmouth.

"Derbies can be fearsome things and I think it could be a shock to those who don't know the pressures and expectations of the fans," He said "I have had letters from some supporters who would rather take two wins from Sheffield United and get relegated. I don't think I will need to wind up my players on the day because the atmosphere will do that- but it would be great for our supporters to get the bragging rights."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

think wednesday have a decent chance to take something from the game as utd aint on the best run of late. Also from a selfish point of view, wouldnt mind seeing utd drop a few more points:p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Big Nelly wrote:
    Wednesday have already shown they can raise their game for a Yorkshire derby, beating Leeds United's multimillion-pound squad 1-0 at Hillsborough earlier in the season.

You just couldnt resist could you :p

Wednesday have been on a terrible run of late and are slowly slipping down the league. A win against Utd on Saturday would be a huge result for the team and with Sheffield Utd on an awful run at the moment and with the speculation surrounding Warnock then I think there is no better time for Wednesday to play them.

The problem with Wednesday is that they really struggle to score goals where as Utd have been banging them in all season. Wednesday will need a huge performance from their attacking players to stand a chance and if I am to be honest im not sure if they will be able to raise their game enough. Perhaps a draw would be the best they can get out of this game which would not be a bad result.

On a personal note I would love to see Wednesday win (you wont here me say that too often Big Nelly :D ) so that will benefit Leeds. I hope they can pull it off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Well as I said at the start of the season if we stay in this division and steady the ship and maybe get a win in one of the Derby game I will be a happy man....as Kingp35 we have been on a miserable run of late!! Strikers have been the problem since MacLean broke his leg in pre-season.....we still havent really replaced him but I think with Murphy coming in this will help....He looked great against Arsenal for Sunderland and had a good debut on Sat....we where all over Stoke and looked about to score when they got there second and that killed us off!!

I wasnt hoping for much from this game but I can see a win! Utd have been all over the shop in the last few games and Warnock is not helping but not coming out and saying he isnt leaving....there strikers goals have dried up and Kabba who was a revelation at the start of the season looks to be moving in Jan now because he wont sign new contract.....actually heard Leeds are very interested in him!! you hear anything kingp35?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Big Nelly wrote:
    Kabba who was a revelation at the start of the season looks to be moving in Jan now because he wont sign new contract.....actually heard Leeds are very interested in him!! you hear anything kingp35?

Yeah I did hear this but I dont think its true to tbh. We already have Hulse, Healy, Blake, Cresswell, Moore and then Ricketts should he come back so we are certainly not short in the strikers department. A central midfield player is top of the list and Leeds and Sheffield Utd always seem to be linked to each others players or trying to buy the same player etc. Sure the papers said that should Warnock leave for Portsmouth that Kevin Blackwell will replace him! Blackwell was quick to state that this was absolute rubbish.

I really hope Murphy can do the business on Saturday as I want to see him do well. Wednesday really need a striker capable of doing the business and Murphy certainly has the potential

I just laughed when I heard about Blackwell being linked with Shef Utd.....thats a joke.,...he is building a nice squad up in Leeds and I cant see him leaving!! few stupid papers linking anyone to the Shef Utd job if Warnock leaves..>Joe Royle is also linked after he recently said that the Ipswich job would be his last:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Kingp35 wrote:
    I really hope Murphy can do the business on Saturday as I want to see him do well. Wednesday really need a striker capable of doing the business and Murphy certainly has the potential

Here here, would be good also for the Rep team because if he does well then we would have Keane, Clinto, Murphy, Doyle and maybe Trundle if he moves to Everton....I dont rate Connolly!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Anyone hear the first song the PA played after Wednesdays last home defeat?

"Everyday I love you less and less" by The Kaiser Chiefs.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Anyone hear the first song the PA played after Wednesdays last home defeat?

"Everyday I love you less and less" by The Kaiser Chiefs.

I rather singing this

"I never felt more like singing the blues, when Wednesday win, United lose, oh Wednesday, you got me singing the blues." - To the tune of 'Singing the Blues.'

Advertisement