Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visual Studio 2005 is a free download!

Options
  • 29-11-2005 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

Microsoft has released Visual Studio (VB, C++, C# and J#) 2005 Express edition as a free download from there website.
    The web-installers will download and install it over broadband, or you can download a CD image for installation on machines without internet access (You can also copy out the files from the image using PowerArchiver and burn the lot to a DVD). These are full unhindered versions, the same as what you would get in a boxed version. The software requires registration over the internet and is tied not just to the individual machine, but the user account as well so every user needs to register. Registration is free and you get a few really useful ebooks on the various languages as well for free as a registration gift. The software will no longer be available as a download as of 6th November 2006 but once you have downloaded it you can use it in perpetuity.

This is great for those studying those languages. Finaly something of use that MS gave away for free!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Couple them with the free SQL Server 2005 Express Edition, and Robert's the brother fo your father.

ASsuming, of course, that MS-centric development is yer thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Thanks a million for the info! Does anyone know if the C++ complier will compile C as well? I know most of them do.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Its not free. Just free for one year. I suspect it will kill itself after 1 year.

Edit: I stand corrected! Just read the pricing. Totally free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Yeah I've been using Visual C++ 2005 Express for a couple of weeks now and it's very nice alright. It's more like VS6 than VS.NET which is a good thing in my book, but has the niceties that are missing from VC6 (one of my favourites is the ability to comment/uncomment blocks of code with a hotkey - it's the little things that count).

My only gripe is that it doesn't come with a profiler. In fact none of the 2005 line except Team System do, and that seems to cost a couple of grand. If anyone knows of a good free profiler that would work with C++ 2005 express I'd be very interested to know.

But hey, free's free so I'm not gonna complain too loudly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Finaly something of use that MS gave away for free!
    They've always given their compilers for free, it was the envoirnment, documentation and debugging tools that you were paying for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

borland is also free....

...and was not made by microsoft.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

borland is also free....

...and was not made by microsoft.

:D

I am being forced to do some work in Delphi.Net and its the worstest worst IDE I have used in a long time, its barely beta worthy. I liked older versions of Delphi. I use Visual Studio in my day job so that keeps me sane.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

These are full unhindered versions, the same as what you would get in a boxed version

Just to note. These are slimmed down version of the full product. Still excellent and I am using them myself but just thought I'd point out that they do not include every feature the full product does.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

I know, they are "express" editions, perhaps I forgot to mention that.
    Anyway, the will do the same job as the full "standard" version that you would pay a good bit of money for, that is, the can be used to create fully working applications that can be compiled into stand-alone EXEs and they can be used to compile other peoples projects. This is handy for us students learning these languages. I would find any of MSs "Visual" languages very useful for creating Windows-only Apps, Java for cross-platform apps, C for low-level stuff and simple Linux/Unix or Windows console apps and C++ for larger Windows projects.
    Not forgetting PHP for dynamic webpages.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Not forgetting PHP for dynamic webpages.

Eh I think Asp.net might be more what they expect you to use. Streets ahead of php anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

Its missing the ATL & MFC components i read, SDK too, but you can download that.

Some people in Visual C++ forums have had problems with VC++ 2005..maybe its free for the first year, like another beta, extended.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Its missing the ATL & MFC components i read, SDK too, but you can download that.
    I still can't find windows.h or know what it's acomponent of:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

You need to install the Platform SDK and follow the instructions, everything should work properly then.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

SDK was installed, bleedin typo in path :o
    Also there was another path to add in before it found afxres.h

Finally got first Build without errors..
    Step 3: Update the Visual C++ directories in the Projects and Solutions section in the Options dialog box.

Add the paths to the appropriate subsection:

Executable files: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK\Bin

Include files: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK\include
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK\Include\mfc
    Library files: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK\lib
    Tools - Options - Projects and Solutions - Show Directories for Executable/Include/Library

Other folders - no idea if need to add to Include list.
    gl
    mfc
    crt
    atl

http://www.perfdynamics.com/Tools/PDQcode.html - how to get windows.h without the full download
    download a pair of 25MB files, extract 6.59MB of cabs, then extract windows.h , all 7KB of it :rolleyes:
    [ OK there are a lot of other files there too that may be needed but manual extract very messy and you have to rename them as have very long names -
    ren ????????_H ????????.H etc.
    happily I had the full 400MB SDK ISO already so I got my 7KB file in the end ]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

I know ITS SWEEETTTT!!!!al you have to do is register your version. Its a great piece of kit!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

It's missing the ATL & MFC components
    Damn, I would have downloaded it immediately if MFC was included or could be downloaded. I'll have to stick with my version of MS Dev Studio 6 (aka '98).

Advertisement