Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unwanted attention

• 29-11-2005 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

I have a problem with a person I made contact with over the internet which initially started out fine and friendly as a pen friend kind of thing, but now its obsessive and they ring me constantly and its freaking out my whole family, the person is from the states and I was wondering is there a way to block their telelphone calls to me coming to our landline, I rang eircom but I got the customer service rep from hell who had not got a clue if it could be done or not, despite my most sincere efforts to be a nice guy and talk this person round to be just friends I have no choice but to find a way of blocking their incoming calls, I've learned a really big lesson from this but I really need to find a way of blocking their calls to our landline.

Any help as always will be appreciated.
    Please do not post any smart comments as the situation has become very scary and is putting my family and myself under a lot of stress.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

You could always use a caller id so when this person rings make sure no one answers. When they it finally sinks in that you never pick up the calls will stop.

My 2c anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Most telecoms company do no thave a way to bar one particular number from calling, or rather, this is normally not a service that they offer to the public.

My advise is mail Eircom ( you normally get a better response to mail than on the phone, as bad as this is to say ).

If they cannot do it then go the caller id route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Change your number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

Ask them nicely to stop calling as you're family don't appreciate it?
    Surely if you said it was causing hostility at home & the person kept doing it, you'd be more than right to lift them out of it, be really rude & yell at them anytime they do ring?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Tell them you are forwarding their number to the Department of Telecomunications, with the Knowledge that they will be dealing with the US Embassy on your behalf to have these nuisence calls stopped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭chiller

try the caller id route or just tell the ****er to **** off the annoying little fecker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭chiller

sorry 4 the swear words

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Change your number.

Ditto. I'm no expert but it sounds like you're *friend* is turning into a stalker. Cut off all contact, change your number as TC said, which I know is a pain in the behind but it's the lesser of two evils and block his emails/IMs. I hope you didn't give him your home address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

eircom Malicious Calls Bureau - 1800 689 689 or 1800 475 475 (handles all malicious calls to/from all providers)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Yeah, but they can still only advise you to proceed with the help of the Gardai at the end of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

Hmmm...

I'm guessing you are not that old. It's important to be straight with people in how you communicate. Assuming that this other person hasn't been misled by you, the following might be an option.

I'm only suggesting you do the following if you think it is a good idea yourself, or you can pull it off right. See this as an extra option that might be useful for you:

If whoever this is insists on keeping ringing you, and you don't want to change your number, you can let them, but simply make their experience less fun, more boring and more uncomfortable and even weird.

For example, find a CD of an unsuccessful, really crap band, and figure out what their most monotonous b-side tracks are. When this person calls, tell them you have a great new call waiting system and you have to go to the toilet. Ask them to wait and then force them to listen to 2 songs before you come back.

Always go to the toilet when they call and explain that you have developed some kind of toilet problem.

Ask their opinion about the most boring, drawn out, complicated things you can imagine. For example; read out whole page long articles and then make an almost irrelevant point at the end. When they are talking, interrupt them midway through each sentence. Dominate the conversation and bore them into choosing to talk to someone else.

You could also, get their number, and erratically call them obsessively; like 16 times in an afternoon.

Basically, convince them you are much werider than they are to you, and it's not fun to converse with you.

You'll know you've been successful when they ask you to stop calling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

get a gas powered horn or a really loud whistle and blow it down the phone at them.
    Or why not email them and tell them that you do not wish to converse with them any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Let this be a lesson to you not to give out your phone number (especially your landline number) to someone you met on the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭FoXXy

yeah id say incase you may have unknowingling sent wrong signals just clarify the situation and say u dont want further contact.... if they persist on calling then screen the calls with caller ID.
    and yeh if u wanna get creative then keep dialling them from random payphones n hanging up be a pain in their arse too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Thaedydal wrote:
    get a gas powered horn or a really loud whistle and blow it down the phone at them.
    This may not be effective as phones restrict the volume and frequency of noises transmitted (hence we sound different on the phone).
    FoXXy wrote:
    and yeh if u wanna get creative then keep dialling them from random payphones n hanging up be a pain in their arse too :)
    I don't think thats very constructive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

Try writing an email to them and telling them to stop, threaten to report them if they dont stop. If they carry on try any of the other suggestions.

Word of warning - if your email is web-based and your password might be figured out by this person, change it now.

I had, or at least think I had, someone I had got in contact with over the net hack into my email due to a relatively easy-to-figure-out password. They then changed the password and left me unable to use the email account again as I couldnt remember the postcode I had registered with and its a pain in the ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭alantc

Find someone who programs to write a piece of caller ID software (should be straightforward enough) that will pick up and immediatly hang up the phone. pay someone here to do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Yes, don't rely on the police or government to help you.

Change your number. Stop talking to retards. Game over.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Some of the caller ID things can be set to give a distintive ringng noise when certain numbers appear so you don't even have to look at who's calling.

Advertisement