Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Problems with tail gators?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭feckidyparp

The problem with tail gators is your not driving fast enough:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

Just hit the brakes slighty and they'll back off, thats what i always do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭feckidyparp

I find washing your windows for a good few seconds can piss them off enough to back off. nothing worse than someone elses mucky spray going on yer windows

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just hit the brakes slighty and they'll back off, thats what i always do
    Doesn't always work..especially with Northern truck drivers! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Only women complain of tail gaitors. If you`d drive your fooking car on a bit and make some progress you wont get tail gaited. Theres your solution, not some piece of nerdy crap you found on the internet. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

Nuttzy wrote:
    Only women complain of tail gaitors. If you`d drive your fooking car on a bit and make some progress you wont get tail gaited. Theres your solution, not some piece of nerdy crap you found on the internet. :rolleyes:
    Yeh agreed....generally the people who complain about being tail-gated are those that sit dawdling along in the overtaking lane....(generalisation accepted)

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Cucullan

fletch wrote:
    Yeh agreed....generally the people who complain about being tail-gated are those that sit dawdling along in the overtaking lane....(generalisation accepted)
    Sometimes it not always possible to speed up or drive faster, I notice when your stuck in the middle of a (slow moving 40-50mph) long line of traffic where no-one can overtake you get some tool who drives 2 inches from your back bumper even though there is not a chance of him been able to overtake.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The recommended response to tailgaters is to slow down. This opens a gap between you and the car in front, and makes it more likely that the moron will pass you. Problem solved. If you speed up, you risk closing the gap between you and the car in front to an unsafe distance.

Not your ornery onager

Cucullan wrote:
    Sometimes it not always possible to speed up or drive faster, I notice when your stuck in the middle of a (slow moving 40-50mph) long line of traffic where no-one can overtake you get some tool who drives 2 inches from your back bumper even though there is not a chance of him been able to overtake.
    Hence the reason I said "generalisation accepted"...I know there are instances where somebody may be tail gating you for no reason, like on a single lane road hence the reason that I mentioned the "overtaking lane" implying a dual-carraigeway/motorway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 scdub

of course if you really want to p*** them off just knock back a gear and watch their faces as they stamp on the brake to avoid collision.. only place I ever have problems with them is on the dual carriageway in traffic and thats my solution..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

fletch wrote:

Nuttzy wrote:
    Only women complain of tail gaitors. If you`d drive your fooking car on a bit and make some progress you wont get tail gaited. Theres your solution, not some piece of nerdy crap you found on the internet

Exactly lads!!! usually sitting on the white line going about 50 down the road and holding onto the steering for dear life....also have the seat up so far they cant move any distance because they are jammed against the steering wheel....also if you do finally get past them they are in pure shock that someone else is on the road they nearly crash into you....

Then of course if it is night it will take them at least 30 secs to turn off full headlight....then as soon as you are any distance away from them they flick back on lights so you cant see a f**king thing so you slow down to get them to turn off and they still havent a clue what to do.....also you will notice these are the people that leave the fog light constanstly on!!!!

If anyone thinks I am bulls**t please drive down the N3......first of all there is hundred of L plates plastered all over every car just in case you hadnt fingured out they where a learner adn you will see these random people described above all over it! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Wel personally i dont have a problem expcept for in one way villages or built up areas with ramps,Its either drive slowly over them or have my back bumper torn off,if some tit behind me wants to sit on my arse then so be it but its not gonna make my fly over ramps to speed up his journey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Pull over, let them speed up & pass, watch the crash up ahead.

Pass by accident laughing and pointing complete with cheeky grin.

layke wrote:
    Pull over, let them speed up & pass, watch the crash up ahead.

Pass by accident laughing and pointing complete with cheeky grin.

Or have actually done this.....the straight stretch on the cavan side of Virginia(N3) is the biggest play ground for the Garda....they love it and have caught many a person...so I was coming back up to Dublin one Sunday morning about 11.....there fav time to hit this part of road.....so was right on speed limit.....this spanner in Monaghan reg came flying up behind me.....seen it was this young one with the BF/husband sitting in passenger side not looking the best.....so before I had a chance she had already flashed twice....pulled over and waved at them as they passed....her big thick head was impressed....went flying on....around next cornor and they was my buddy......pulls them over....I slow down and go past laughing my head off at her.......she didnt look impressed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Doolittle51

I generally dont speed very much, especially on small/estate roads, and tailgaters really pi55 me off. I can understand if i was driving about 20mph, but when you're driving at or slightly above the limit, these ****3rs are still on your ass. They basically expect you to speed so they can.

I don't mind them on the motorway cause you can pull into the other lane and let them speed away. But there's nothing you can do to shake them off on small roads. I try the fog lights sometimes.....rarely works.

I'd love to just slam on the brakes and have them crash into the back of me. Teach them a lesson. And I've noticed recently that many of them are old enough (40/50 year olds!!)

I know this is off topic, but I think anyone caught drink driving should get a mandatory 1 month jail sentence. If the government want to do something about road safety, then they should bring in strict laws like this.

I don't mind them on the motorway cause you can pull into the other lane and let them speed away. But there's nothing you can do to shake them off on small roads. I try the fog lights sometimes.....rarely works.
    You sound like an outside lane hogger to me

I generally dont speed very much, especially on small/estate roads, and tailgaters really pi55 me off. I can understand if i was driving about 20mph, but when you're driving at or slightly above the limit, these ****3rs are still on your ass. They basically expect you to speed so they can.

I'd love to just slam on the brakes and have them crash into the back of me. Teach them a lesson. And I've noticed recently that many of them are old enough (40/50 year olds!!)

I know this is off topic, but I think anyone caught drink driving should get a mandatory 1 month jail sentence. If the government want to do something about road safety, then they should bring in strict laws like this.

First off in an estate or even on a back road if you are in front of someone and you see that they are trying to get ahead there is a number of things you can do.....first use full headlights when possible so they can see in front of you in case anything is coming...or there is a cornor.....then also if you go around a cornor and you are on a straight stretch a few flashes of the indicator will tell driver behind that road is clear to pass....this is easy and will first get person behind you off your ass and save alot of distress on both parts.....prob is loads of people still dont know about this.....on road to Athboy other day......lorry in front....around cornor and flick of indicator....car in front sits behind....lorry only doing about 30....know road well so I pass by both and them and then flick on emergency to thank driver......how easy was that????????

Not sure about the 40/50 age thing because I aint the slowest driver but will keep within the limits so I dont have problems with tail gators!!

Slam on brakes and you could be seen to be causing an accident!!!

Not sure why we have gone onto drink driving but that is just mental.....ok if they crash and hurt someone but if everyone that was caught drink driving was thrown in jail the country would seize up.....no place in jails......people losing jobs left right and centre!! 12 months ban seems fine to me.....wat happens person that has a pint or a half and get stops and for some reason it goes green....not everyone that drink drives is absolutely hammered so I dont see how you can make this statement!!!

I aint defending drink driving!! my cousin died becasue he was stupid enought to do it but I think your statement is wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Big Nelly wrote:
    Or have actually done this.....the straight stretch on the cavan side of Virginia(N3) is the biggest play ground for the Garda....they love it and have caught many a person...so I was coming back up to Dublin one Sunday morning about 11.....there fav time to hit this part of road.....so was right on speed limit.....this spanner in Monaghan reg came flying up behind me.....seen it was this young one with the BF/husband sitting in passenger side not looking the best.....so before I had a chance she had already flashed twice....pulled over and waved at them as they passed....her big thick head was impressed....went flying on....around next cornor and they was my buddy......pulls them over....I slow down and go past laughing my head off at her.......she didnt look impressed!!!

Fantastic, I bet you chuckled for 3 days straight.

In fact you have me laughing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I don't mind them on the motorway cause you can pull into the other lane and let them speed away.

Dont drive on the outside lane.

That might be tempting but would be a very dumb thing to do, I mean do you want your car off the road, and to have to deal with his/her insurance company (if he/she is insured!) and go to court as a witness??

Mike.

Originally Posted by fletch
    You sound like an outside lane hogger to me

You sound like a tailgaiting pr1ck to me.

Whats wrong with being in the outside lane, DOING THE SPEED LIMIT, and making progress compared to the traffic in the inside lane? Nothing, but the ***** who flash you and drive up your arse should be able to force you off the road?

• Advertisement

You sound like a tailgaiting pr1ck to me.

Whats wrong with being in the outside lane, DOING THE SPEED LIMIT, and making progress compared to the traffic in the inside lane? Nothing, but the ***** who flash you and drive up your arse should be able to force you off the road?

Because you are not supposed to be....its the passign lane....you are supposed to move back into the inside lane after you over-take someone!!!

Originally Posted by Big Nelly
    Because you are not supposed to be....its the passign lane....you are supposed to move back into the inside lane after you over-take someone!!!

I do, but sometimes its busy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Doolittle51 you are on your first and last warning. Anymore personal abuse and foot stamping and you are banned.

Mike.

Trying to back track now?:-) its so busy because of people hogging the lanes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Big Nelly wrote:
    you are supposed to move back into the inside lane after you over-take someone!!!

I think the ROTR state that if you are not going to pass out the car in front of you then you should keep sufficient distance behind them and keep sufficiently to the left to allow other road users to pass if they so desire.

L.

Yea, Ideally you should be able to do move in and out of the inside lane, but when it's busy, it doesn't really work too well.

Thats the problem...traffic, not tailgaiters!

Apologies for the personal absue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

Big Nelly wrote:
    First off in an estate or even on a back road if you are in front of someone and you see that they are trying to get ahead there is a number of things you can do.....first use full headlights when possible so they can see in front of you in case anything is coming...or there is a cornor.....then also if you go around a cornor and you are on a straight stretch a few flashes of the indicator will tell driver behind that road is clear to pass....this is easy and will first get person behind you off your ass and save alot of distress on both parts.....prob is loads of people still dont know about this.....on road to Athboy other day......lorry in front....around cornor and flick of indicator....car in front sits behind....lorry only doing about 30....know road well so I pass by both and them and then flick on emergency to thank driver......how easy was that????????

Not sure about the 40/50 age thing because I aint the slowest driver but will keep within the limits so I dont have problems with tail gators!!

Slam on brakes and you could be seen to be causing an accident!!!

Not sure why we have gone onto drink driving but that is just mental.....ok if they crash and hurt someone but if everyone that was caught drink driving was thrown in jail the country would seize up.....no place in jails......people losing jobs left right and centre!! 12 months ban seems fine to me.....wat happens person that has a pint or a half and get stops and for some reason it goes green....not everyone that drink drives is absolutely hammered so I dont see how you can make this statement!!!

I aint defending drink driving!! my cousin died becasue he was stupid enought to do it but I think your statement is wrong!

I'm getting good insight here. I used to have difficulty understanding why there are so many deaths on our roads.

" a few flashes of the indicator will tell driver behind that road is clear to pass"
    bull**** and you know it, where the **** did you learn to drive ?

"....know road well so I pass by both and them and then flick on emergency to thank driver......how easy was that???????? "
    easy yes, stupid even moreso
    among the final thoughts of many a driver "... know road well..."

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

most Tail Gators are Clio's corsa and the likes, they are indeed very anonying, and WHY please WHY are they tail gating a 240HP car with a 65HP while I was actually doing 100km/h on the main road, was I driving too slow?

I can understand if I was driving 75 or 80 they comes up closer so I know i was driving too slow but 100km/h, how much faster do they want to go in the little thing that feels like floating in the air when its travelling at high speed, one guy was driving so close to me and I had to stop the car because of emergency, all I had to say to him was new panel and bump please thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

Simple solution for tailgaters, drop off the pedal and let speed drop to 40, then floor it.. Bye bye tailgater.. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Lots of people here are assuming theres an overtaking (or as a big electronic sign on the N3 at Clonsilla recently claimed: FAST) lane to get past in.

But what about these twisty narrow roads (like parts of the N3) that are posted as 100 kph?? (just asking for accidents really) and where there's no room to let the idiot past you??

Or the stretch in Navan that limits you to 60kph and where the hard shoulder is usually filled with cars... what do you do there?

Fact of the matter is this.. if someone is moving at the posted limit (or close to it) there's absolutely no reason for ANYONE to be tailgating them, except that there's too much ego behind the wheel, and not enogh brains/cop on! For those who are unaware, the posted limit is an upper maximum, and regardless should be driven at a speed suitable for the given conditions at the time. Personally I always try to drive at around the limit whenever possible, but STILL I have people sitting on my bumper a lot of the time.

I always love when people here get on their high horses and spout their holier-than-thou comments about learners and such, and then turn around and complain that they can't BREAK THE POSTED SPEED LIMITS when they want to!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement