Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Problems with tail gators?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Big Nelly wrote:
    No its your problem. Personal insults are not allowed and how would you have a clue how I drive or anyone else on here drives? maybe you are God like you think and can see what everyone does from there nickname on here!

thats not a personal insult, its on opinion.
    stop reporting posts on this thread as personal insults just becuase other people think you are a crap driver becuase of what you write.

i have to agree with them personally.
    its drivers like you that are dangerous on the road.

who cares what you drive, or how long you have been driving, or that you once drove a bloody tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Nuttzy wrote:
    They`re the cause of this accident, not the 2 cars that crashed into you. well, obviously they are partially, but the 2 hesitant dopes are the real cause.....

Hmm.

I think that you would have only a very very very slim chance of arguing this as being the case. In fact, I'd hazard a guess at none. There is nothing wrong with being a hesitant driver. It is very easy for confident drivers to determine whether the driver in front is hesitant or confident.

I know it was not you who was tailgaiting but how do you know for example that something did not run across the road in front of the car, and the gentleman did the right thing in applying the brakes. Another logical possibility could be (in the general tone of this thread) that the man was aware of a queue forming behind him so decided to pull over to allow the following cars by. It would be much easier for the gentleman in question to argue one of these points in a court than for a tailgaitor to claim that the accident was caused by someone outside their field of vision.

L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

thats not a personal insult, its on opinion.
    stop reporting posts on this thread as personal insults just becuase other people think you are a crap driver becuase of what you write.

Sorry for using an option that is available on here and people are asked to use. That is the first time I have ever used Report a thread on boards and seeing as the reaction from a mod is like this then it will be the last, You ever hear of PM?
    i have to agree with them personally.
    its drivers like you that are dangerous on the road.

Again how the hell do you know how I drive? just because I have talked about a tip that a few people on here have agreed with me but alot of you don't know about I am crap driver?
    who cares what you drive, or how long you have been driving, or that you once drove a bloody tractor.

Did I ask if you cared? it was everyone on here that came along and started to say I was a crap driver. I just used the tractor as a reference that I can actual drive. I never came on here and said anyone was a crap driver? did I? you see I know that there is no way I can tell if you or who ever is a good driver or not from boards. Why are you making it personal?

Also again if you have something to say to me or anyone on here about using the Report a thread function can you use PM. You like to tell the whole world when someone reports a thread? read back and Mike had already replied to that and the matter was over and done with

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Nuttzy wrote:
    They`re the cause of this accident, not the 2 cars that crashed into you. well, obviously they are partially, but the 2 hesitant dopes are the real cause. Probably 2 women aswell, holding on to their steering wheel extremely tight in case it falls off.

What. The. F*ck?
    Have we passed some strange boundary into the surreal?

/me looks around for a sight of Alfred Hitchcock lurking in the corner

The cause of the accident were the two f*ckwits that rear-ended, not the three (including belle_morte) in front. Why do people in this country never take any f*cking responsibility for their stupid up-their-own-effette-arsehole f*cking actions. They were the ones with poor judgement. They were the ones that decided that driving at 50kph on somebody elses arse in a queue was a "safe" thing to do.

And was subsequently pointed out, the area the crash occurred in a country road with lots of blind bends. So who was the "dope"? The person driving at the speed limit? The person who may have been driving within their driving capabilities? The person who may have been driving the car that wasn't as good at higher speeds with ABS braking? The person who may have not known the roads all that well? Or the stupid dipsh*t sat 2 ft off the back of somebody else's bumper?

As for your "two women" remark, you sir, are nothing but a sexist numpty, since it has also since been pointed out that it was a man who was in front.
    I find that dublin drivers are the worst at holding up traffic on roads outside dublin. Its like they`re so used to driving at 30mph round their ****ty cities and towns that when they go out onto the regional roads they havent a clue how to drive the car on a bit. They just sit at 40/50mph. And they cant take corners/bends above 50mph.

Wow. A stereotype. And a bad one at that. Lets see how this works .....

"I find that country drivers are the worst there are because they have a chip on their shoulders about everything especially people from Dublin and they don't know how to drive and all go out get pissed drunk and drink drive their red-faced arses home every friday night and then claim 'sure what can ye do?' when they plow into some young kid on the way to their friend's house or something"

How's tha tfor a stereotype. Unfair? Pot. Kettle. P*ss off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Belle_Morte

Lemming wrote:
    Wow. A stereotype. And a bad one at that. Lets see how this works .....

"I find that country drivers are the worst there are because they have a chip on their shoulders about everything especially people from Dublin and they don't know how to drive and all go out get pissed drunk and drink drive their red-faced arses home every friday night and then claim 'sure what can ye do?' when they plow into some young kid on the way to their friend's house or something"

How's tha tfor a stereotype. Unfair? Pot. Kettle. P*ss off.

You might not be a million miles away from the truth there :D I'm sure there are some very good and competent country drivers, they just get overshadowed by the ones that didn't take a driving test but now think they're god's gift to the highways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Nutzzy, You sound like a bad driver if you have that attitude. There is no way in hell that the gentleman in who stopped suddenly was at fault. If you rear end someone you are always at fault. You should leave a big enough gap to expect the unexpected. It's a fundamental rule for driving.

[edit] Big_Nelly, the fact that you gave your prowess in a tractor as an example of being a good driver indicates that you have little understanding of what a good driver is.

Also would indicate that you have little to boast about. I'm surprised my knuckeles aren't permanently white with the amount of times I have sat in the passenger seat, while one of my friends pulls dangerous maneuvers and boasts to me about how they are such a good driver. Cockiness will get you killed IMO.
    [/edit]

ballooba wrote:
    [edit] Big_Nelly, the fact that you gave you prowess in a tractor as an example of being a good driver indicates that you have little understanding of what a good driver is.

Also would indicate that you have little to boast about. I'm surprised my knuckeles aren't permanently white with the amount of times I have sat in the passenger seat, while one of my friends pulls dangerous maneuvers and boasts to me about how they are such a good driver. Cockiness will get you killed IMO.
    [/edit]

Wats the bets everyone on here thinks they are a good driver. We will never know if they are unless you drive with them. You could look at someone and think they are a good driver and your mate beside you will see them as reckless. Its an opinion but how you can make it from a web forum?:rolleyes:

My problem was people started to come on here and say I was a crap driver because of what I typed. This is bullsh*t. I could type the rules book on here and still be the worst driver on the road or I could come on and type everything that you shouldnt do on the road and be the best driver ever. How da hell anyone on hear thinks they know what sort of driver from my typing skills just shows a lack of knowledge.

For all you know I could be a 7 year old and making this up? can you tell me that I actual drive for real or just watch people? answer is no. So can everyone quit making everything personal and have a discussion on here about tail gators and not you or whoever thinks such and such is a crap driver

Big Nelly, the attitude displayed by somebody towards driving is a pretty reasonable indicator of what kind of driver they are.

For example, my father is a very capable driver. He also happens to terrify me whilst I'm in the car with him because he is quite an aggressive driver (without realising it for the most part I'll also admit). He got his driving license at a time when you didn't even need a test, just apply. He has zero time for people going "slow" as he sees it, "indecisive" as he sees it, "learners" during busy periods, etc." Yet he will do things like "wander" across lanes without indicating.

There's a lot to be found in reading bad habits and making assumptions. All this "unwritten rules" stuff is such a thing. Where does one "learn" with authority all these "unwritten rules", and where do you go to check who has the definitive version since it's all down to interpretation?

Lemming wrote:
    Big Nelly, the attitude displayed by somebody towards driving is a pretty reasonable indicator of what kind of driver they are.

Ok but people take on a different persona when they are on the web alot of the times than the real character. I don't have any attitude towards driving. It gets me from A-B and thats about it.

As I have discussed I don't tailgate. My original post on this thread was about way to get out of the way of someone who is tailgating you. This saves yourself stress and the person in other car. This was just some handy tips.

But as usual because someone doesn't know or can't understand what you post about starts what has happened here. I seen a thread on the Film forum about no more discussions on there forum. If this is the crap everyone can expect if they post on here then it will soon be the same here!
    Lemming wrote:
    For example, my father is a very capable driver. He also happens to terrify me whilst I'm in the car with him because he is quite an aggressive driver (without realising it for the most part I'll also admit). He got his driving license at a time when you didn't even need a test, just apply. He has zero time for people going "slow" as he sees it, "indecisive" as he sees it, "learners" during busy periods, etc." Yet he will do things like "wander" across lanes without indicating.

Yes but you can only comment on his driving because you know him and have seen him drive. Why people on here think they can comment on if I can or can't drive is beyond me.
    Lemming wrote:
    There's a lot to be found in reading bad habits and making assumptions. All this "unwritten rules" stuff is such a thing. Where does one "learn" with authority all these "unwritten rules", and where do you go to check who has the definitive version since it's all down to interpretation?

There is nowhere to learn, thats why I thought it would be good to give some people a tip I have learned from my time on the roads. Last time I will ever do that. Ignorance is bliss.

Big Nelly wrote:
    Yes but you can only comment on his driving because you know him and have seen him drive. Why people on here think they can comment on if I can or can't drive is beyond me.

Sorry, my point wasn't to critique him, but to show the attitude espoused, which has been similar to some of those raised here, whether realised or not.
    There is nowhere to learn, thats why I thought it would be good to give some people a tip I have learned from my time on the roads. Last time I will ever do that. Ignorance is bliss.

I was trying to put across the point that you should not rely on anybody else to tell you if something is safe or not. Some of what you mentioned is most certainly being polite, but it can quite easily be misinterpreted by somebody else in the most unfortunate of circumstances.

• Advertisement

Big_Nelly, I would consider the maneuver you suggested to be dangerous. If that became a common habit on our roads then I think it would be quite reckless.

If however you had suggested indicating to the left and then pulling in slightly to the left to allow the following driver to see what is ahead of you then I would think different.

This is quite commonplace on the N2 and I have used it a few times myself to get rid of tailgaters. This is fine as the following driver can see for themselves rather than trusting some kid in a tractor who may be as young as 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

The motors forum strikes me as being the angriest one on boards. It’s beyond me why people are all the time attacking others in some sort of holier-than-thou fashion.

Arrogance is far more dangerous on the roads than doddering old men who forgot how to use their indicator in 1953 and drive home from the local at 10mph with 5 pints in them.

{EDIT} Even though I do it myself when driving (a tractor... ), indicating to the left and pulling in for a car can expose you to a claim of contributory negligence if something goes wrong. Same way if you stop a car to let a person cross the road and s/he gets hit by someone else.

{EDIT} The minimum age to drive a tractor on the road is 16. Far too low IMO considering they require more skill than driving your average family car... up to 40ft long, 60km/h, 40 tons. Driving a big high speed tractor isnt much removed from an artic, but still a 16 y/o can drive with a provisional and no training...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

When I was very young and before I could understand it, I saw a bumper sticker which read
    "Make love not war. See driver for details".

ballooba wrote:
    Big_Nelly, I would consider the maneuver you suggested to be dangerous. If that became a common habit on our roads then I think it would be quite reckless.

If however you had suggested indicating to the left and then pulling in slightly to the left to allow the following driver to see what is ahead of you then I would think different.

If you consider dangerous that is ok. There is very few occasions that you will find a lorry driver that will give you this flash. I thought I would mention in passing along with the comment about pulling into hard shoulder and making sure not to sit out along the white line. I never told everyone that they needed to use it. Its there decision not mine to tell people how they are to drive there car.

I see you point Lemming in regards to not relying on other people but I think we do this everyday of the week once we go out on the road. We rely on the person in front of us not to do anything stupid so we rear end them, we rely on the person behind us to keep a safe distance. We rely on the person on foot path doesnt step out in front of you. We rely on the person coming towards you is not going to go head first into you. We rely on the person coming around the roundabout is idicating correctly. We rely on everyone that they have insurance, NCT, car road worthy, not drunk etc. When you think about it we rely on alot of things when you hop into a car.

As your point suggests we shouldnt just blindly overtake a lorry because we see them do this but as I said in the original post I knew the road(forgot to mention it was dark) so if there was something coming I would have seen it as long as he had the lights on. I was behind a car who was behind the lorry so I had a good view of the road up ahead. Where the car behind was too close to lorry to see.

I didnt think I would have to go into every details about this so thats why I never posted in original post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nuttzy wrote:
    They`re the cause of this accident, not the 2 cars that crashed into you. well, obviously they are partially, but the 2 hesitant dopes are the real cause.

I thought I'd quote that one more time for effect.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Big Nelly wrote:
    Sorry for using an option that is available on here and people are asked to use. That is the first time I have ever used Report a thread on boards and seeing as the reaction from a mod is like this then it will be the last, You ever hear of PM?

im not a mod of this forum, and i am also entitled to an opinion.
    if you dont like it, then i suggest you go elsewhere.

as for you using the report function, go ahead, i am merely telling you that you were not abused. just because someone has an opinion that you are not as great a driver as you feel you are, does not make it a personal insult.

grow a sense lof perspective.

Big Nelly wrote:
    blah blah blah

snore.

Big_Nelly, your last post is tripe. You're dying a slow death here and I would suggest quitting while you're behind.

You're relying on other people not to crash into you?????? No they would be liable if they crashed into you. If you crash as a result of trusting another drivers judgment then you are liable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

okay kids, enough.

This thread has become a liability.

Mike.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement