Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who will win in Paris in May!

• 29-11-2005 4:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭

Who will win the champions league?

Who will win the Champions League? 53 votes

Liverpool
    0% 0 votes
    AC Milan
    30% 16 votes
    Barcelona
    9% 5 votes
    Chelsea
    35% 19 votes
    Manchester United
    0% 0 votes
    Lyon
    11% 6 votes
    Real Madrid
    11% 6 votes
    Inter Milan
    0% 0 votes
    Another Team not Mentioned above (If so name them)
    1% 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

I honestly cant understand why Juventus arent on that list?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

I think Lyon are a dark horse and still available at 16/1 or better, mark my words!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

SpAcEd OuT wrote:
    I honestly cant understand why Juventus arent on that list?

Argh forgot about them!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I'm a Liverpool fan and I think Liverpool will win, failing that it'll be Chelsea but it'd be cool if Lyon pulled it off. It's what GH's always wanted :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭finlma

Has to be Barcelone for me. The last 2 years teams not even in the top 10 European teams won it so I'm expecting it to go back on form. Barcelona Madrid final would be class - no English teams please.

• Advertisement

Why no English teams? I'd like to see Liverpool or United Win, don't care to much about Chelsea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

The mighty Bayern Munchen of course!

The likes of Lyon would Beat Bayern i think, Barca, Chelsea and Liverpool would aswell!

Steve_o wrote:
    Why no English teams? I'd like to see Liverpool or United Win, don't care to much about Chelsea!

The only English team good enough to get to the final is Chelsea and I'm sick of seeing them. If you saw the Real v Barce game recently you'll know why I want those 2 teams in the final.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I voted for United. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Steve_o wrote:
    The likes of Lyon would Beat Bayern i think, Barca, Chelsea and Liverpool would aswell!

I don't know....They've won every game at home so far in every competition in their new stadium. About 11 games I think. Always good for picking up results away from home too. I do think Barca, Chelsea and Juve are slightly better than them but I have a feeling for Bayern this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

my favourite would be barcelona despite their defensive frailities i think the could win this competition with brute force, i.e. if you score two we'l score three.

lyon are my outsiders and i intend putting some money on them.

http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=show_type_by_main_market&category=SOCCER&ev_class_id=53&id=5819

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Steve_o wrote:

ummmm, open your eyes man, there's 2 english teams on that list :)

I hope Lyon win it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I won't temp fate by saying liverpool, cos i still have a soft spot for
    Ged I'll say Lyon. Them winning would also piss off the so called Big Boys and UEFA!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭homerjay540

being a man u fan it was difficult but i voted for barce. milan have a decent chance tho. still 9-1 on paddy power. hopefully next season i will be more confident about utd.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Chelsea, Bayern or Juventus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

Wow Liverpool fans here are an optimistic lot.. U can seriously expect them to win it again???? It was an amazing feat to win it last yr but as they say lightening cannot strike twice..

I hope one of the smaller teams win it, Lyon are looking good but fancy Barca with Ronny pulling the strings..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Liverpool won't win it! I like the fact they've won it but they were a touch lucky in the run up on more than a few occasions. I have a hat here and it's on my head, I'll eat it if they even get to the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Barcelona are great to watch this year, it will be interesting to see how they preform when really challenged later on in the competition. Other than Barca, Juve and Chelsea would be my contenders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Steve_o wrote:

are you for real?

Bayern are of the strongest teams in Europe atm. Barca and Chelsea may pull it off but it wouldnt be easy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

can't see anyone outside of Liverpool, Barca, Bayern and Juve making it to the final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Well for me if i was throwin a lot a money on it then Barca, after that Chelsea and AC Milan. Where's Juventus on the list, where are arsenal? Steve-o, you talk about Lyon as if they would have no probs beating Bayern,and that barca,chelsea and pool would aswell. I doubt Lyon would, how bout Juve, AC Milan would they not figure in the little list and the pool did? Load a bulls*** tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

My top five teams are Juve, Inter, Bayern, Barca and Lyon. I can't really see any team outside those five winning it, not even Chelsea. I'm going to tip Juve, they are going to concentrate on Europe 100% this season (they've said so themselves) and that will benefit them.

As for Milan, they are far too erratic this season to be grouped in with the favourites. Sure, they'll win a few games in a row (as they did in Italy) but then they'll badly struggle against teams they should be beating handily. This season is a step too far for them IMO. They might concentrate more on Serie A this season anyway, they want to reach the two star mark before Juve get their third star.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I dont think Barca will win because they dont have enough bottle. They were playing just as well this time last year and then flattered to deceive. IMO they dont have a strong enough spine to their team.

Juve, Bayern, Lyon or chelski for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

So far its a BArce-Liverpool final. :)

I reckon it'll be Liverpool by the odd goal in 15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Im a Liverpool supporter but I didnt vote for them, theres very little chance they will win it again. Who are all the people voting for Liverpool ?!:eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I voted Lyon because I think they have a real chance. they have briliant attacking flair and a very good defense. They will put it up to anyone and I think they have a real shout! As I said already in another thread I dont think it will be Barcelona because of their defence.

Who are all the people voting for Liverpool? Madness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

I can't believe Liverpool is still being tipped. There's some very optimistic fans there.
    What the hell, even in ManU's state i europe I'm gonna tip them. On a more realistic hope, I would really like Barca to win, being the only team in europe that excites me and I'm still getting over how Chelsea beat them last year(the cheating b*stards), who have now become the CL's answer to fascists. Still though, nobody has voted for them which is a shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

i voted for liverpool shockingly enough because to be honest, i think liverpool are the hardest team to beat in the europe right now over 2 legs. benitez is usually spot on tactically, and over 2 legs he has a 2nd chance to get things right.

he's a proven winner in regards to european competition, uefa cup and champions league in successive seasons for him.

having said that, i think it will take a hell of an effort to topple juve, milan and chelsea over 2 legs too :)

a liverpool vs milan part II would make a great showpiece final though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Given the last two winners, it is a tough one to call. My darkhorses would be Lyon or PSV (God knows how, but every year they sell their best players and seem to come back stronger).
    As for some of the more 'heavy-weights' I'd have to go for Barca or Juve. Spanish teams have been underachieving in the competition in recent years, and I think Barca have the quality to break the drought. They mightn't have the same defensive discipline as Milan or Juventus, but they have the best attacking flair in the world for my money.
    On a more optomistic note, Liverpool needed to win their last game to qualify for the knock-out stages, and the rest is history......
    United need a win to guarantee their place in the last 16.....:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Usual suspects are Juve, Milan, Barca and Chelsea.

Liverpool are suited to the style and certainly will do well but can't see them going back to back.

Lyon and Bayern are both strong sides but semis is the best I can see from them.

Arsenal maybe? Maybe not, but I've seen crazier things happen.

If I had to stick my neck out I'd go with Juve. I backed them heavily last year and they have only got stronger. They won the scudetto last year so it will not be their main priority this year (although they already lead it).

Barca will be a strong challenger but I just don't think they have the experience or defensive toughness to lift the trophy.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

im gonna go with liverpool.
    as the saying goes "lightning always strikes twice or maybe more"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

el rabitos wrote:
    a liverpool vs milan part II would make a great showpiece final though :)
    I second that. A chance at revenge, ooh yes! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Barca, Chelsea, Juve, Milan are top 4 imo. Next group of team would include Lyon, Bayern Munich, and the 3 other English teams (depends if United's form picks up, or if they even get through), maybe Real, I'm not sure how Inter are doing at the moment but I never fancy them to get anywhere. For a somewhat dark horse I'd pick Bayern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

AC milan have only gotten stronger up front, and I think their failure in the final last year should have the effect that the deportivo game didnt have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

PHB wrote:
    AC milan have only gotten stronger up front, and I think their failure in the final last year should have the effect that the deportivo game didnt have
    Up until the final Milan had conceeded six goals in eleven games against:

Shaktar, Celtic, Barcelona, Manchester United, PSV (all twice) and Inter Milan (once). Their failings were hardly in defence.

The final was a freak occurance, are you trying to write them off on this basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

i'd love to see another milan v juve final. the 0 - 0 draw a couple of years back was one of the best matches ive ever seen. i'd hate to see a team like chelsea or lyon in the final. the champions league final should be a showpiece. two major names in europe in a huge final, thats what i wanna see. last year was great because after both teams years of success it was only the first time milan and liverpool played each other in a competitive match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Juve will be there or thereabouts. But I am an optimistic Arsenal supporter, and hopefully Monsieur Wenger will buy a few good players during January and we can at least get to the Semi's. After that any team can go and win it. But I definately think Juve will be in the final. Quality players in every position, and after Wenger, my favourite manager, Capello.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

I voted Juve. Don Capello will mastermind a win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

if liverpool win it again i will run around dublin naked! I fancy barca but i think lyon have a decent outside shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Some dillusional Liverpool fans here. Barca would be beaten by a team like Chelsea or Juventus, Bayern, AC Milan IMO. Dont get me wrong, all teams should play like Barca, nice attractive attacking football but they lack quality defenders.

AC Milan is my choice but Juventus have great team too. Bayern's new stadium is a fortress, could be their year as outsiders

Dempsey wrote:
    Some dillusional Liverpool fans here.

There sure are - probably the same people telling us Peter Crouch is a good striker.

Barce all the way I hope.

mchurl wrote:
    if liverpool win it again i will run around dublin naked! I fancy barca but i think lyon have a decent outside shot

The outsiders have all won in the last couple of years, Porto winning was a surprise, Liverpool the same....being the outsider seems to be a good omen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No-one has voted Chelsea yet 3 have Man Utd (who hav'nt a hope).

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

mike65 wrote:
    No-one has voted Chelsea yet 3 have Man Utd (who hav'nt a hope).

Mike.
    I think ManU are capable of playing as well as Porto and Liverpool did in the last 2 seasons, though it seems to be the younger managers who have the edge :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭homerjay540

if united have made two major midfield signings by the start of next season i will probably be putting my money on them. i fell that there is too much pressure being placed on ronaldo at the moment and if he had a good decoy (such as joaquin on the other wing) then it would be back to the good old days.
    as for liverpool, i wish that paddy power had a bet for them not to win (although odds would be rediculous). they need another central defender as backup at least and warnock isn't yet (although i do feel he will be in a couple of years) a very reliable defender. and the manager needs to sort out his midfield. when he plays gerrard on the right he is quite ineffective. he needs a couple of good signings on the wings.

well there's my $0.02.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

juventus would be my favourites they had 10 players shortlisted for the Golden ball, just shows how stong they are.

chelsea n barca would be next for me

Still can't believe no one has voted Chelsea!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Because maybe chelsea wont?

I think the Italian clubs would expose them

• Advertisement
Advertisement