Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Favourite Captain and Why?

Options
  • 29-11-2005 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭

Who is your Favouite Captain and explain Why!

Favouite Captain and Why? 38 votes

Kirk
    0% 0 votes
    Picard
    23% 9 votes
    Sisko
    50% 19 votes
    Janeway
    21% 8 votes
    Archer
    5% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Sisko; Avery Brooks is a dam fine actor. Also Sisko took little or no sh!t, his bite was most definately worse than his bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Kirk, the original and the best. I mean have you seen any other Trek captains doing a flying leg kick? :p

(I much prefer the TV and early film Kirk, Shattner got a bit too much into the self-parody in the later films)

PS I propose that if anyone votes for Janeway or Archer they should be banned for life (at least). Not that I would wish in any way to impinge on anyone's personal freedoms........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

Shatner was a cowboy not a captain. As much as I love the classic episodes I have to give my vote to Picard. He shows teeth and fights well if needs be but he is more a man of words and I like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Fuhrio

Gotta be Picard.

Sensible, good decision maker, and a good leader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Sisko; Avery Brooks is a dam fine actor. Also Sisko took little or no sh!t, his bite was most definately worse than his bite.

I agree, he (Sisko) wasn't one dimensional like the rest of the Captains mentioned (i.e. his intentions and motives weren't always clear or morally acceptable). Only Avery Brooks and Patrick Stewart had the presence and authority to enable me to accept them as Captains. I haven't seen Enterprise so I can't comment on Archer, Janeway; she just didn't convince me and Kirk, well Kirk was always tongue in cheek...

• Advertisement

Laguna wrote:
    ..... and Kirk, well Kirk was always tongue in cheek...
    I have to respectfully disagree with your opinion there, fellow sentient. ;) IMHO one of the best things about the first two seasons of TOS and one of the things that contributed to making them classics is that Shatner plays it totally straight and serious. He seemed to discover the comedic possibilities of over-the-top self-parody after The Voyage Home. Just my opinion..... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

I though Sisko was the only Captain who got things done!!! All the others were messin around with the Prime Directive and stuff like that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Picard for the sole reason of -

Tea, Earl Grey, hot....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Picard for his big shiny bald head!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I agree with Fuhrio. Picard had that calmness and sense about him. He approached things more rationally and carefully. He was a good leader but was also able to take the lead from members of his crew, which is a good sign in a leader. He had trust and confidence in them and they had that in him too. He was their leader, but still part of the team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

archer, because he was an angry bastard, always beating people up...

OK. Who voted for Janeway?????:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

OK. Who voted for Janeway?????:confused:

The old doll that played her must be on these boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

Picard for "Make it so"

I like Janeway but Picard got my vote in the end! Hell Sisko is a fine Captain as well!

My list would be:

1. Picard.
    2. Sisko.
    3. Janeway.
    4. Kirk.
    5. Archer.

enterprise wrote:
    I like Janeway ......
    3. Janeway.
    4. Kirk.
    :eek: Blasphemy!

As someone said on Trekweb.com recently: Kirk is quite like Janeway, except he doesn't have a moustache.

I've been waiting for a chance to use that one. :v: :v: :v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Stevee

Are you sure you really like Star Trek Enterprise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

Stevee wrote:
    Are you sure you really like Star Trek Enterprise

u talkin to me? u talkin to ME? aint nobody else vote for archer, so you must be talkin to me.....

yes i like enterprise, so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

Shatner was a cowboy not a captain. As much as I love the classic episodes I have to give my vote to Picard. He shows teeth and fights well if needs be but he is more a man of words and I like that.
    yeah picard a great fighter only missing one thing, balls.
    kirk would kick his ass, thats right, my makey up sci-fi character would kick your makey-up sci-fi characters backside

seriously though what a man kirk was, he's sit in that chair ogling the birds in short dresses, what did picard do , lock himself away in his ready room, looking at dirty pictures on his screen.:eek:

Steve_o wrote:
    I though Sisko was the only Captain who got things done!!! All the others were messin around with the Prime Directive and stuff like that!!!
    breaking the prime directive, if that carried the death penalty kirk would be dead by episode 2,

but spock,
    she's a hottie piece of tottie.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Picard for me, he is a legend of a captain. An all roubnd leader with catchphrases to boot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Picard or Sisko - the best. Picard was a lot more ruthless than a lot of people thought.

Sisko wouldn't take any rubbish and had a ansty streak to him i.e. he never though of the consequences of destroying a planet to capture a rogue officer.

Archer was terrible, Kirk was OK (Actually I though he was better in the films than the series).

Janeway always reminded of an old school marm - weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Bobt

Has to be Kirk for me. He showed them all how to do it. When you listen to any of the captains since you can see Kirk as the biggest influance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 The Crazy Horse

The captain of the USS Crazy Horse!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Forgetting about the character and focusing on the captaining bit it's Picard.

Kirk - too much of a trouble shooter and on way too many away missions.

Janeway is one of the reasons I don't watch voyager unless there promisies to be lots of special effects / Borg / 7 / the Doctor. Just knowing 50 different ways of saying reversing the polarity should sort out the problem. And blatent disregard of the prime directive putting a way to shave some time off the voyage home above the right of entire species to exist.

Janeway should have been courtmartialled as soon as she got her saggy ass back to the Alpha quadrant.

Seriously, can you imagine Kirk, Picard or Sisko allowing their crew to be marooned 70 years from home? It'd never happen.

Shatner is pretty funny here:-

You can call me ....

Give the video a few minutes to load

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

The video was so funny!!!!!! :D

Advertisement