Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what to have for Xmas dinner?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

I'm having pasta. thats the way it always has been, and the way it always will be

ah go on have a bit of stuffing with your pasta :p

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Doctor Benway

BolBill wrote:
    Jaysus, THREE veggies !!!! That sounds like a right hoot for Christmas day alright. God help the other 5. No doubt the topic of conversation will revolve around the 5 murdering b*stards been murders and the 3 veggies giving out about what is wrong in the world !!!!

Yes, I'm sure that that's exactly what will happen.

It could be worse, though. "No doubt" Christmas Day around at yours will consist of you shrieking nonsense in a constant and rather pathetic attempt to get attention, trying to be provocative and controversial but without an iota of the kind of wit or intelligence which defines a well-rounded troll, while everyone around you looks away getting more and more uncomfortable with the desperation in your eyes which show, behind the big man gibberish, the tiny tragedy of a very, very lonely little boy.

Given the choice, I'd stick with the Quorn roast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

dinner was last night - it was lush,

i couldnt find anything in tesco's or m&s but i got a packet nut roast (just add water) in healthfood shop, added a few extra bits to it - chilli, pepper's, mushrooms, & an egg & i have to say it was lovley.

although for the first time in ten years i tasted meat

- pheseant - one of my friends shot it & i helped him gut it & i cooked it - it was nice, i only had a mouthfull, it wasnt as strong as i thought it would be, but it still had that similarity to chewing gum.

& i had too much vodka jelly.

thanks for all the replies.

BolBill wrote:
    Jaysus, THREE veggies !!!! That sounds like a right hoot for Christmas day alright. God help the other 5. No doubt the topic of conversation will revolve around the 5 murdering b*stards been murders and the 3 veggies giving out about what is wrong in the world !!!!

not at all, imo its more like the other way around - how can you not eat meat, have some turkey, eat meat......... eat meat....... eat meat.

i wouldnt try to convince some one not to eat meat if they wanted to, but if some one asks why i'm not eating meat i will tell them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

I was in Dunnes on the Headford Rd. (Galway) yesterday and they had Quorn Roasts in stock. I don't usually shop there (g/f had received Dunnes tokens from work as a Christmas bonus) so I don't know if they just have them in for Christmas or usually stock them. The healthfood stores tend to run-out coming up to the big day so this is another option for people looking for one.

Being Dunnes they might also be a little cheaper, I didn't honestly pay too much attention to the price because we were "livin-it-large" on the vouchers :)

K

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Kix wrote:
    I was in Dunnes on the Headford Rd. (Galway) yesterday and they had Quorn Roasts in stock. I don't usually shop there (g/f had received Dunnes tokens from work as a Christmas bonus) so I don't know if they just have them in for Christmas or usually stock them. The healthfood stores tend to run-out coming up to the big day so this is another option for people looking for one.

Being Dunnes they might also be a little cheaper, I didn't honestly pay too much attention to the price because we were "livin-it-large" on the vouchers :)

K
    Ah cool, only live a minutes walk from there.
    Went into everygreen, fantastic shop that shall be getting my custom quite a bit.
    Also noticed that tesco are now stocking linda mccartney sausages. Got some last night for a xmas dinner, they are unbelievable!

not at all, imo its more like the other way around - how can you not eat meat, have some turkey, eat meat......... eat meat....... eat meat.
    Indeed, 'we' go on about it a lot do we?
    All i ****ing hear is eat meat, meat, 'incorrect fact', eat meat.
    I mean wow....I have never once brought up anything got to do with animals, vegetarianism in my life(i'm quite private with my thoughts) but it's all they go on about.

Also noticed that tesco are now stocking linda mccartney sausages. Got some last night for a xmas dinner, they are unbelievable!

:D

It's nice passing along a few years of experience of different veggie products. I probably shouldn't say this (because they're already can be hard to get), but the very, very nicest veggie sauages I've ever tasted have to be the Cauldron brand Lincolnshire-style sausages. They've an excellent texture, lovely taste and are never dry. Again, several of the health-food shops stock them. They also do a variety with cheese and leek (Cumberland?) which I don't like the taste of, but you might disagree.

The regular Linda McCartney are alright, but I really dislike the sun-dried tomato variety which gave me dreadful heartburn (bleh). The quorn sausages I don't like. I find them tasteless and unpleasantly greasy.

A long time ago, when I first went veggie (for conscience reasons rather than taste ones, you understand), the thing I missed for the longest time was rasher sandwiches. Linda McCartney used to have a veggie bacon product. It was kinda terrible really - fell apart when trying to seperate the pieces from frozen and you had to burn it really to get a decent texture, topped off with the obligitary heartburn, but it did fill a hole. At some stage they changed the recipe (not for the better) and then dropped it altogether.

Happily, I've found a far superior substitute - Haloumi. It's a cypriot cheese flavoured with a little mint (very subtle). It's quite salty, slightly rubbery and has a wonderful property - it keeps it's shape when heated (like some other cheeses like Feta, paneer). Cut slices off the block about 4mm thick (not too thin or it'll burn too much) and pop them under a hot grill and let it brown on both sides. When the salty, crispy, protein-y goodness hits your mouth you'll be in hog-(safe)-heaven :)

K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Kix wrote:
    The regular Linda McCartney are alright, but I really dislike the sun-dried tomato variety which gave me dreadful heartburn (bleh).
    They appeared to have a lot of hydrogenated oil in them last time I checked. They're nice but I would avoid them unless they change this. I think the Linda McCartney range in general is mediocre.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Kix wrote:

It's nice passing along a few years of experience of different veggie products. I probably shouldn't say this (because they're already can be hard to get), but the very, very nicest veggie sauages I've ever tasted have to be the Cauldron brand Lincolnshire-style sausages. They've an excellent texture, lovely taste and are never dry. Again, several of the health-food shops stock them. They also do a variety with cheese and leek (Cumberland?) which I don't like the taste of, but you might disagree.

The regular Linda McCartney are alright, but I really dislike the sun-dried tomato variety which gave me dreadful heartburn (bleh). The quorn sausages I don't like. I find them tasteless and unpleasantly greasy.

A long time ago, when I first went veggie (for conscience reasons rather than taste ones, you understand), the thing I missed for the longest time was rasher sandwiches. Linda McCartney used to have a veggie bacon product. It was kinda terrible really - fell apart when trying to seperate the pieces from frozen and you had to burn it really to get a decent texture, topped off with the obligitary heartburn, but it did fill a hole. At some stage they changed the recipe (not for the better) and then dropped it altogether.

Happily, I've found a far superior substitute - Haloumi. It's a cypriot cheese flavoured with a little mint (very subtle). It's quite salty, slightly rubbery and has a wonderful property - it keeps it's shape when heated (like some other cheeses like Feta, paneer). Cut slices off the block about 4mm thick (not too thin or it'll burn too much) and pop them under a hot grill and let it brown on both sides. When the salty, crispy, protein-y goodness hits your mouth you'll be in hog-(safe)-heaven :)

K
    Where would one get Haloumi? meh, i'll look around the usual places.
    Open a restaurant in galway man, your posts alone make me water at the mouth :D

Peanut, I assume they tasted so good because I was used to the quorn ones :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 bonzo82

Haloumi is lovely stuff alright, I get it in an Indian store in Dublin, I don't know if there are any in your area Tar. I have a feeling M&S stock it though, probably more expensive. I throw it on the George Foreman Grill, and it does the job perfectly. Never thought of it as a sub for rashers, but a dollop of ketchup would probably go quite nicely with it indeed.

• Advertisement

Hmm, sounds good.
    I think it should be around here somewhere as kix seems to be in galway too.
    I too miss the rasher sandwiches a lot.

Peanut wrote:
    They appeared to have a lot of hydrogenated oil in them

That stuff is well worth avoiding, and I was being fairly generous with "alright" :)
    Where would one get Haloumi? meh, i'll look around the usual places.
    Open a restaurant in galway man, your posts alone make me water at the mouth

Hehe, you're too kind. It might be that I know a bit about food but can't cook for toffee you know? :) (hope not!) Halloumi is (again) easy enough to get in the healthfood stores in the chiller cabinet. I get mine in Evergreen across from Tesco.

Food is a bit of a passion and I don't think that vegetarians should suffer some of the bland crap which is served up to us. We demand real food DAMMIT! :D Man I could start on a million more topics but I've already derailed this Christmas dinner discussion quite a bit :) (so I'll shut up now and think of starting another :))

ah it's in everygreen, great.
    I think I'll go over today to look around the shop actually.

Oh btw, don't think it has been derailed. You just showed a lot of recipes she could try and plus the dinner is already over :)

Ah cool, only live a minutes walk from there.
    Went into everygreen, fantastic shop that shall be getting my custom quite a bit.

Evergreen dose indeed rock.

& the linda mccartney sausages (the kitchen garden ones - tomatoe & somthing) are very nice & great on the BBQ (i know thats a summer discussion)

Kix wrote:
    DAMMIT! :D Man I could start on a million more topics but I've already derailed this Christmas dinner discussion quite a bit :) (so I'll shut up now and think of starting another :))

not that i think you have, but derail away my friend.

Advertisement