Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This gf6600 good enough?

Options
  • 29-11-2005 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

bought this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7212679&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat32500050048&id=1113954027220

In the US, bringing home.
    It was cheaper than on the site, was $148.99.
    I will be upgrading from a GF3 64mb. Obviously this will be better, what i would like to know is will i be ok for most new games?? Can i play Doom3 or Quake 4?? Im not actually bothered about those games but they are a good indication if how good the card will be.

Price wise i did ok. no great bargain. Can get something similar on Komplett for about the same BUT it would be more with shipping.

Oh my sys specs are along the lines of:
    Athlon XP2100+
    1gb DDR PC2700
    Asus A7V333 RAID Mainboard Socket A DDR
    Audigy 2 platinum

Thats about all i think is valid.

so what do you think? This is the first major upgrade games-wise i have made since i built this in May 02. I know there are much better cards out there but for upgrade purpose this was fine budget wise. Anything better is pretty much PCIX these days so will wait a while till a buy new PC for more power.

So will i be ok for a while with this? I dont mind about playing at super high res. if i can do at 1024x768 @ 75hz at full or almost full graphics in most games i will be happy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i only have some sort of 6600GT mod and its only 128 mb and it runs quake 4 best of all, perfect on 1024x768. Runs CS:Source on better res.
    Everything should run great on 1024x768, after that some games on mine make me paranoid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I'd say your CPU would be holding you back from the likes of Quake4 tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

^^ What he said

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Cool thanks.. some day i will upgrade my CPU, well whole system more or less :D For now this will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Saruman, I'd say the 6600GT is the most cost effective video card right now. If you're still in the US and you can wait another three days for shipping, check newegg.com. Way cheaper than best buy. I'm planning on getting the eVGA 128A8N350 for $119 after rebate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement